Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by MND on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
We are visiting Southern Utah in May 2018 and I've read that for some areas a 4WD or AWD is necessary? Anyone have any advice on Rental Companies that have 4WD. I'm looking for 5 seater at least but the rental web sites are not very specific in a lot of cases and may substitute an alternative. A Chevy Tahoe would be ideal but here in PA if you get a Tahoe it will invariably be a 2WD model. 

Any recommendations to ensure we get a 4WD vehicle?

by EGrav on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
I called the actual car rental counter at whatever airport I am flying into. Main website has locations with phone numbers.
PS Unless you are going "4-wheeling" it's not necessary for the usual Utah sites.

by MND on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:11 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Not going 4 wheeling at all. I drive an Outback and I don't get stuck in adverse conditions. As we intend to be traveling along dirt roads in some cases I'm not taking any chances.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Most of them offer that sort of vehicle. Its really just a matter of price and what companies operate where.

by MND on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:18 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
SLC was one of the target airports and ACE offer Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Salt Lake City it is.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
MND wrote:SLC was one of the target airports and ACE offer Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Salt Lake City it is.
Still call them a couple of days before because they love to not give you what you wanted.  They just might save you an "upgrade" to a mini van or something.  Rental car agencies have a huge number of no shows and day of cancellations so they over-rent every category and it is quite often that you don't get what you rented.  It happens more often then not.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:22 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Be sure and check the fine print in the contract, as well. I once had a rental Ford Expedition that said in the fine print that it was not to be driven off paved roads. With GPS, they always know where you are. Some don’t want you to cross state lines either. Some people who have made that mistake have paid dearly. Things may have changed in recent years, but it was that way when I last rented several years ago.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Rocky Sharwell on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:55 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054

I have been quite happy with http://www.ruggedrental.com in SLC.
Rocky Sharwell

by MND on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:57 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Ace use Rugged Rental apparently. Maybe I’ll go straight to them. Thanks for the info.

by delong1301 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 am
delong1301
Forum Contributor
The last time I rented a car I filled out and signed more paperwork than when I bought my house!

by Brian E. Small on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:28 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
One other thing to consider.................if you are by chance a member of Costco I would check car rentals via their site. I've saved a LOT of money renting cars through their service....................often 15-25% or more. You can book cars with all of the major rental companies through the Costco site.

11 posts |