Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by MND on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
It's been a few years since I've had to book a US Domestic flight. When did it become such a complete and utter PITA? I've seen several recent horror stories of people getting thrown off flights/double booking/passengers spending hours on the tarmac etc etc. I never for one moment expected it to be so painful just trying book a flight. It's not a difficult flight and I'm quite open to choice of times, airports and days. I just want to go from Pennsylvania to Utah in May 2018. I'm OK with flying out of PHL, BWI, IAD or even EWR and I'm quite happy to fly into  LAS, SLC or PHX. I don't want to pay business class prices, endure multi hour layovers and I always pay to check baggage. I just don't want my camera gear to travel in the hold. What I'm finding is that a lot of flights state "Basic Economy", this means that you are not allowed to put anything in the overhead locker. Just how is that enforced I wonder? 

Whats the secret folks? What a good airline these days? Should I just drive the 2000 odd miles to Utah?

by EGrav on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:32 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Get Economy (not basic ) or better so you can use overhead bins. Basic economy boards last. Not allowed overhead carryons.

Last edited by EGrav on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by signgrap on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:37 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Check and see if Southwest AA flies to you destination from EWR. I fly a couple times a year time from EWR to DEN and one of those times is over the Christmas holidays without problems except for an occasional weather delay. I now only fly Southwest if they go to my destination. If you book far enough in advance they will always be the cheapest which is a nice bonus. Southwest values their customers and treats them accordingly.
Dick Ludwig

by MND on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
EGrav wrote:Get Economy (not basic ) or better so you can use overhead bins. Basic economy boards last. Not allowed overhead carryons.
Tried that. If you select the option of Premium Economy it cuts the options down considerable the majority being Delta. America Airlines are not shown at all. 

by EGrav on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:43 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
I have found that going directly to the airlines website, you get the best deal. Not Orbitz, or Expedia, etc. Also sign up for their mileage plan (even if you never plan on flying with them). Just by being a member you get access to some flights not offered to the unwashed masses. Kind a' of a pain, but worth it. I have learned by multiple mistakes. And yes, you will be treated like cattle. But I would rather a 3-4 hour flight than 3-4 day drive.
PM me if you have other ?
PS Southwest is the "nicest" group, if they fly where you are going.

Last edited by EGrav on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MND on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:02 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
I'll checkout Southwest this evening. Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's actually quite easy once you get used to it and figure out how to navigate the various airline sites and then just don't select a Basic Economy seat. That may be the starting point but when you go to select seats, most of the sites will tell you what the upcharge is for the better seats. Some sites have a drop down box before you let it go flights to select the class of service - There is often Basic Economy, Standard Economy, Premium Economy (goes under various names and gives you early boarding privileges and more legroom), and then Biz/First. Some sites let you see the prices for all of them side by side in columnar fashion. They are all a little different but more or less similar in their offerings. If you go through a third party like orbitz, Expedia etc, often they only offer you two choices, Basic, and Biz/First. in general stay away from them for flight booking. You can use them to get a snapshot of what airlines fly to where you are going but they are not the best way to get your tickets.

by MND on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. I been flying around the world for 45 years. It was never this difficult.

I’m taking EGrav’s advice and looking at Southwest. They fly to SLC via DEN which is pretty good. They also seem to offer different upgrade options so we’ll probably book with them.

I see what you mean about Expedia and Cheapoair etc, exactly what you said, they don’t give you the airline options.

Thanks for the great advice.

by photoman4343 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:06 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Ditto EJ above.

Here is advice that I use for United Airlines. If you use a United Visa or United Mastercard to buy your economy ticket on United's website, you are automatically in Boarding Group 2 and there is no fee for the first bag you check. The sooner you board the greater chance you have to find room in the overhead compartment for your camera equipment or other luggage. If you want more leg room you purchase it by getting an economy seat in a row with more legroom. This is done when you select your seat. Just do not chose a seat that faces the bulkhead (no space to place something under the seat) or a seat that does not recline (like in front of the emergency exit row. )

Southwest has tricks to allow you to board in the early group like group A. I believe one way to do this is to confirm and print out your boarding pass as soon as the 24 hour period begins before your flight departs. My son and granddaughter did this over Thanksgiving when they flew round trip from Houston to Phoenix on Southwest. My wife and In were on United and we boarded in Group 2 w/o any problems. Your place in a group line on United is based on when you decide to get in the group line. On United you do not want to be in Groups 4 or 5 if the flight is crowded as the overhead space may be gone by then. .

My daughter used to fly Southwest a lot. I think she paid extra to board in Group A. I am not sure if this is still possible on Southwest.

Even if you do not fly a lot I think it is smart to join a frequent flyer program for an airline you might fly on the most. This might give you access to more favorable seating and maybe pricing and other perks.

And then you have to check the websites off the airlines to see if they have changed the rules.
Joe Smith

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
photoman4343 wrote:Ditto EJ above.

Here is advice that I use for United Airlines. If you use a United Visa or United Mastercard  to buy your economy ticket on United's website, you are automatically in Boarding Group 2 and there is no fee for the first bag you check. The sooner you board the greater chance you have to find room in the overhead compartment for your camera equipment or other luggage. If you want more leg room you purchase it by getting an economy seat in a row with more legroom. This is done when you select your seat. Just do not chose a seat that faces the bulkhead (no space to place something under the seat) or a seat that does not recline (like in front of the emergency exit  row. )

Southwest has tricks to allow you to board in the early group like group A. I believe one way to do this is to confirm and print out your boarding pass as soon as the 24 hour period begins before your flight departs. My son and granddaughter did this over Thanksgiving when they flew round trip from Houston to Phoenix on Southwest. My wife and In were on United and we boarded in Group 2 w/o any problems.  Your place in a group line on United  is based on when you decide to get in the group line.  On United you do not want to be in Groups 4 or 5 if the flight is crowded as the overhead space may be gone by then. .  

My daughter used to fly Southwest a lot. I think she paid extra to board in Group A. I am not sure if this is still possible on Southwest.  

Even if you do not fly a lot I think it is smart to join a frequent flyer program for an airline  you might fly on the most. This might give you access to more favorable seating and maybe pricing and other perks.

And then you have to check the websites off the airlines to see if they have changed the rules.
Yes, same with Delta and AA - but all of those cards have an annual fee.

All the seats on SWA are the same but paying more gets you into earlier boarding groups.  But then again the overhead space thing isn't a huge problem on SW because they don't charge for checked bags so people don't feel compelled to bring everything they own onboard in oversized suitcases.

by MND on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:01 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all the great advice Guys. I’ve never travelled on Southwest but looking at the website it seems they will cut out a lot of anxiety over traveling with lots of camera gear. I’ll be able to take my Sigma 150-600mm after all.

by WDCarrier on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Another cautionary item: Check out the available various carrier flights on Travelocity, Priceline or one of the other "services" but when you find the flight you want, deal directly with the carrier. My experience with Travelocity has been that when you click on the invoice to pay you get a cute note saying, "Oops, we hate when this happens but the price has increased to $$$$$." This is especially true with combination invoices, flight, car and motel. When I book all separately I usually save $50 or more. I fly Southwest whenever I can. No frills; no hassle; no baggage fees.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by photoman4343 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:34 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
This link looks pretty accurate for those who fly Southwest and want to maximize the Group model they use for seat selections.

http://thetravelsisters.com/southwest-a ... -airlines/
Joe Smith

by MND on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:48 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:This link looks pretty accurate for those who fly Southwest and want to maximize the Group model they use for seat selections.

http://thetravelsisters.com/southwest-a ... -airlines/

I had a quick scan of this earlier. It's looks very interesting. I'll give a read when I get a moment.

Thanks

by MND on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:49 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
archfotos wrote:I know both BWI and SLC are Southwest hubs so you should be able to get a flight straight through.  Parking at BWI is a pain because it's mile(s) away from the terminal so allow for plenty of time. This is true of the BWI Amtrak stop as well

I know what you mean about BWI. Certainly not one of my favorite departure points.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
archfotos wrote:I know both BWI and SLC are Southwest hubs so you should be able to get a flight straight through.  Parking at BWI is a pain because it's mile(s) away from the terminal so allow for plenty of time. This is true of the BWI Amtrak stop as well
SLC is not a hub city for SWA.  Here they are from their website:
Atlanta
Baltimore
Chicago (Midway)
Dallas (Love)
Houston (Hobby)
Las Vegas
Oakland
Orlando
Phoenix

SLC is a Delta hub.  SLC is not in the top 20 cities by volume that SWA serves.
Just FYI :)  That doesn't mean they don't fly there though so it doesn't matter, just setting the record straight ;)

by Ed Cordes on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:43 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Well, I'll add my thoughts. You have already gotten a lot of good input, but this is what I have been doing the past few years. Due to the limited choice in my area I always fly Delta (only major carrier from my regional airport). I never consider basic economy. I always book "Comfort" as it gives priority boarding and dedicated overhead space. Since I have some status on Delta I am upgraded to first class about 1/3 of the time. I never book flights with less than 1 hour between flights. I do this to make up for delays on one flight which could lead to issues in making the next flight on time. I hope this helps.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

17 posts |