« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Nancy Everds on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:03 am
Nancy Everds
Lifetime Member
Member #:00650
We're taking a family vacation to the Galapagos (it will not a photo-centric trip).  The first 5 days will be on a catamaran (14 guests total) with zodiac trips to islands and snorkeling.  The last 4 days will be day trips to various islands from a land base.  I usually handhold my 500mm lens, but I get the impression from posts that its length would be overkill for most of the Galapagos.  Instead, I'm thinking of taking my 400 DO and my 70-200 and a 1.4x TC, and a point/shoot camera for non-wildlife shots (and a gopro for underwater video).  
My questions
1.  Is the 400 DO necessary and useful or can I get away with a 70-200mm?  
2.  What's the best way to hold the 400 DO assuming no tripod.  I have in the past just held the 400 in the same way I do the 500mm--with some pipe insulation and duct tape wrapped around the foot to make it comfortable to hold.  However I read in some of the other posts that people forgo the lens collar and just hold the lens with the non-camera hand.  
Thanks in advance for advice.

by Neilyb on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:41 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
We also did a trip on a catamaran many years ago. At the time I took my 100-400 and had only a 5D (mk1). It was almost perfect for the trip as so much of the wildlife is at your feet, literally. However there were times when I wished I had had longer, diving booby's, hawks sitting a little too far off... but really 400mm is more than enough. I took many wide angle shots too, where wildlife crossed our marked paths. I would take the 400 and the 70-200. If you have something that will work underwater, take it. I have only memories of swimming with seals, sea lions, turtles, cormorants. Amazing.

If your guide is good they may let you hang back a little as the group walks on, giving you more time to shoot. I would take a strap for the 400mm. Maybe some large trash bags to keep the chances of a wet bag at a minimum (not all landings in the zodiacs were easy).

Enjoy the trip above all else, easy to get caught up in the photography and miss the magic of that unique place.

by Mark Boranyak on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:48 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
In June, my wife and I spent 15 days aboard a boat visiting all of the islands on a Cheeseman's Ecology Safaris trip.

While a 70-200mm with a 1.4X extender can capture many photo subject, you would regret not taking your 400mm DO, especially for birds.

My most used setup was a Canon 100-400mm L IS II lens on a Canon 80D body. I actually preferred the 80D to my 5DIII for the extra "reach". I used this setup for both hikes and zodiac tours around the islands for photographing animals. Scenics were taken with my 5DIII/24-105mm or, more often, a one inch sensor compact with an equivalent focal length

If possible, I would investigate using the Canon 100-400mm and leaving both your 400DO and 70-200mm home.

Mark

by photoman4343 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Nancy, when I went my longest lens was a 300mm f4. I also had a 70-200 mm and and a 16-85 mm. The 70-200 mm got used the most. I had two bodies, both Nikon crop sensor cameras. In addition to camera gear, take well made knee pads as you will be getting low a lot for shots of birds and reptiles and turtles and the ground is sharp volcanic rock on many islands. Many on my trip had ankle high hiking boots for longer walks on certain islands and good sandals for more beachy places.
Joe Smith

by Nancy Everds on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:18 pm
Nancy Everds
Lifetime Member
Member #:00650
Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if the budget allows a 100-400mm lens :). Any thoughts on best approach to handholding the 400? I won't have a lot of time to go out and shoot before the trip, so would love any experiences that would be helpful.
Nancy

by Karl Egressy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I took the trip long time ago. I was advised to buy the 100-400 Canon. I bought the 300 f 4.0 and a 1.4x extender instead.
It was a big mistake. You need a zoom preferably 400 mm on the long end for those further away birds. (Most of them are extremely close.)
Fix focus lens is useless there IMO and I'm a big fan of prime lenses otherwise.

by photoman4343 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Nancy, you can take a monopod with a good monopod head like the Really Right Stuff MH-01. Or a tripod and ball head that is light enough to carry and that will support the 400mm. On my trip there was one man who took his 500mm f4 on just about every hike. I took a carbon fiber tripod with me and used it on some of the hikes.

To carry a lens that has a tripod collar foot with an arca swiss plate, or a camera with an arca swiss plate, I use a Black Rapid Sport strap. I attach a small quick release clamp to the screw in knob on the strap. They the lens is carried on the side of my body. This is a great way to carry something without having to hold it in your hand all the time. If you are right handed you buy the version that fits your left shoulder. If left handed, you buy the one that fits your right shoulder. Or buy the model that allows you to carry two bodies with lenses. Go to this link and you will see them. This is the latest model. The Sport RS-2 is about the same thing. The link also shows the QR clamp I was talking about which is an optional item. .

https://store.naturescapes.net/sport-br ... lackrapid/

And you might need a dry bag for keeping your gear from getting wet in the pangas or on the beach. I had one that worked like a backpack.

Check out the Image stabilization settings too for your lenses. You might be moving in all directions at the same time on a boat or in a panga.
Joe Smith

by nc_killie on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm
nc_killie
Forum Contributor
The most important piece of equipment are knee protectors - allows you to get low without shredding your knees!

by Anthony Medici on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I just got back from a Photo trip to the Galapagos. I made use of a 300 F4 with and without a 1.4x converter, a 70-200 F4 on an FX body. I also carried a 15-45 on a DX mirrorless body and used an older AW-1 with 10mm lens for my underwater work.

The trip I was on was a photo trip. We had only 9 guest per guide on hikes and the guide were also very patient with us as they knew we were photographers. Other groups we saw tended to be much larger and moved much quicker on land than we did. That might make the 400 DO a little to big and heavy to deal with for that type of a group. We didn't encounter day trip groups while there but that is as designed. The day trip groups tend to be on the islands from about 10 am to 3 pm at most while the boat tours could be on islands from 6 am to 10 am and from 3 pm to 6 pm.

If you have questions about specific islands or landing areas, let me know and I'll tell you if we visited those while there.
Tony

by ChrisRoss on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:45 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I used a 300mm f4/1.4x with a 1DMkIV on my trip a few years back, it worked for most things including flying birds. I used a Think Tank belt/holster pack :

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collecti ... ster-50-v2

get the version to suit you camera/lens combo, some of the walks are long and it's nice not to have to carry the rig all the time.

I would recommend a drybag to put it all in, splashes are a real possibility and if the wind is up, we had a wave break over the front of the zodiac, despite the driver being ultra careful. There is normally a mix of wet and dry landings. I added a water bottle holder to the belt which also came in handy. I was able to leave the dry bag on the zodiac or on the beach if we were walking a loop. I used a Watershed duffle style bag, they are truly waterproof.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Vivek on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 am
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Nancy I've been there twice, once leading a group of friends and chartering the whole boat myself about the same size as your catamaran. There are a LOT of birds in the islands and some are small and not quite close. So if you're used to 500, I would take the 500mm. I carried it with the tripod but I can handhold it if need be. I also carried 1.4X-III and 2X-III for those lenses. IF tripod is out of question, consider a monopod with a dedicated monopod "head". I've seen a few friends use it. I would also carry at least one WA lens - the vistas from some islands are just incredible! Also the best way to carry the "second body and lens" is to use a "Rapid Strap" type strap. I am guessing there will be some zodiac rides for landings - use a dry backpack - 35L is probably enough and can be bought on Amazon for ~$100.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

11 posts |