All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Simon on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 am
Simon
Forum Contributor
Been a while since I’ve posted..

I’m planning a trip to Botswana next year, probably in late November. As time is quite tight, I will only have around 10-12 days, so intend to just do some sort of loop from/to Maun focused on the Moremi. We will hire a 4x4 camper and self drive.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a route that can be done in 10-12days and which campsites would you recommend. Any other tips too always gratefully received.

As background, I’m actually based in Nigeria these days so would be flying to Maun via Joburg. This year and last year we selfdrove in Namibia which was fantastic, so do have a bit of experience. Our focus for this trip would be getting the most out of the Okavango we can, but without breaking the bank!

Thanks in advance.

by ChrisRoss on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I did this many years ago, Late November is the start of the wet season though and October hottest time of year generally, so weather may dictate where you travel by land. The route I did was fly into Maun, spent a couple of days fly-in to the delta then drive Maun - Nxai Pan, Magkadikadi Pan (Gweta lodge), Nata lodge and up into Chobe. We then went to Vic Falls airport to fly out back to J'burg from there. If you could one-way hire that may work. This route we did in 10 days from memory, but it did include a couple of long day's drives. I think you can fly out of Kasane and Livingstone airport in Zambia back to J'burg as well

Otherwise Doing Maun - Moremi - Nxai Pan - Baines Baobabs - Magkadikadi Pan and return on the highway might work. Nxai Pan had some reasonable wildlife including Gemsbok, Cheetah, giraffe and other open plains dwelling antelope. When we were there we visited in a very wet year so game was scattered and Moremi was not accessible due to flooding. It will certainly be different animals to Moremi, being much drier. Magkadikadi pan is wide open salt pans and we saw some large herds there and some interesting birds on the grass tracks around there and it is known for large herds of wildebeest at times. You can drive on the pans if it is dry enough, they were full when we were there, but you have to watch for getting bogged in the absolute middle of nowhere.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Simon on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:09 am
Simon
Forum Contributor
Many thanks Chris. Excellent advice. Had aimed to concentrate on Moremi, but doing your route to Vic Falls May be more sensible if it’s unduly wet. I did a couple of days in Chobe as an add on to a rafting trip on Zambezi three years ago, so certainly don’t mind going through it again!

3 posts |