Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Patrick Cox on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 am
Patrick Cox
Forum Contributor
I am thinking about signing up for a landscape photography workshop in 2018 and am looking for leader recommendations.  I am familiar with Alain Briot & Tony Sweet. If you have other names you would recommend, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Patrick

by Bill Chambers on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Guy Tal & Michael Gordon are very good workshop leaders - Excellent teachers both. Also, I've heard Colleen Miniuk-Sperry is an excellent leader.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It partly depends on where you are going, expertise in the area that you wish to photograph plays a big role. Don't rule out private one on one on location landscape instruction s well.

by Vivek on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
I would also look at the their personal "style". I like Alain Briot and Guy Tal. I've taken one workshop with Guy and he is very knowledgeable.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by walkinman on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Hey Patrick

I think it would help if you offer a little more detail on what you're looking for. Where are you going? Are you looking for an instructional workshop or more of a tour? What areas of your photography are you wanting to focus on, etc. Processing? Composition? Gear and technology stuff? A winter tour? .. ad infinitum. 

The answers to those questions and more mean people can reply with information that may be of a lot more use to you than simply plugging their friends' tours.

Carl
[i]"Let he without stones cast the first sin"[/i]

[url=http://www.skolaiimages.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://www.expeditionsalaska.com][b]Expeditions Alaska[/b] - Alaska Backpacking Trips and Photo Tours[/url]

by Patrick Cox on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:21 pm
Patrick Cox
Forum Contributor
walkinman wrote:Hey Patrick

I think it would help if you offer a little more detail on what you're looking for. Where are you going? Are you looking for an instructional workshop or more of a tour? What areas of your photography are you wanting to focus on, etc. Processing? Composition? Gear and technology stuff? A winter tour? .. ad infinitum. 

The answers to those questions and more mean people can reply with information that may be of a lot more use to you than simply plugging their friends' tours.

Carl

Sure, I can do that....

Location: I am open to different locations. Some that I have looked at are Page, Palouse, Acadia and Death Valley.  And I am open to others, but I have been to quite a few spots out west and I am hoping to hit a new spot.  

Type: To be honest, I don't really need instruction. I am looking for someone who knows the location.  I am ok with some computer time, but I would not want that to be the focus. I am mainly focused on time in the field.  And as I mentioned, mainly Landscape photography. 

Season: Spring, Summer or Fall will all work. 

I can answer other questions if it is helpful in providing recommendations. 

Thanks. 

by steve white on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 am
steve white
Forum Contributor
Frank Comisar Scenic Aperture has several specific landscape workshops. I have been on 3 of his workshops and all were excellent.

by walkinman on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Patrick Cox wrote:
walkinman wrote:Hey Patrick

Carl

Sure, I can do that....

Location: I am open to different locations. Some that I have looked at are Page, Palouse, Acadia and Death Valley.  And I am open to others, but I have been to quite a few spots out west and I am hoping to hit a new spot.  

Type: To be honest, I don't really need instruction. I am looking for someone who knows the location.  I am ok with some computer time, but I would not want that to be the focus. I am mainly focused on time in the field.  And as I mentioned, mainly Landscape photography. 

Season: Spring, Summer or Fall will all work. 

I can answer other questions if it is helpful in providing recommendations. 

Thanks. 

Hey Patrick

Then my advice, fwiw, is hire a local guide. If you're headed to Death Valley, Guy Tal or Michael Gordon are wonderful people, superb photographers, excellent instructors, and know the area very well. I don't know photographers from the other areas you mention, but I do strongly advise folks to hire a local guide when possible. They have, if nothing else, a little more skin in the game.

Cheers
Carl
[i]"Let he without stones cast the first sin"[/i]

[url=http://www.skolaiimages.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://www.expeditionsalaska.com][b]Expeditions Alaska[/b] - Alaska Backpacking Trips and Photo Tours[/url]

by James W. Milligan on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
Patrick Cox wrote:I am thinking about signing up for a landscape photography workshop in 2018 and am looking for leader recommendations.  I am familiar with Alain Briot & Tony Sweet. If you have other names you would recommend, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Patrick

I am looking at the area"s of interest you posted and frankly you could do these areas on your own . Acadia is very easy to do and there numerous books and maps of the park. Death Valley is another place that can be handled on your own. Again, plenty of literature and maps are available-Nat Geo has great maps of the parks. Also, keep in mind that there is always dead time when you are on a tour. High noon is not the time to photograph in Death Valley.

I have visited the places you listed and have been to all except the Palouse and even that location would be doable on your own. The Chamber of Commerce offers a photo tour map of the area . Hope this helps to scratch your head a bit. You might also try John Barclay as a tour leader although he books quickly.

Jim

9 posts |