All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by ChrisRoss on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:01 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Hi all, 

it looks like I'll have an opportunity to visit Costa Rica in Early Feb next year.  My daughter is doing an internship at a sloth centre relatively close to SanJose.  I'll be catching up with her on her days off but between then thought I'd try visiting a lodge in the general vicinity.  Looking for a place with feeders for both hummers and general forest birds if possible as well as opportunities for frogs and other wildlife. 

I know quite a few members get down to Costa Rica, so hoping to draw on that experience.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Jim Zipp on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:32 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Chris, from what I've heard many of the roads have been chewed up pretty badly.  Takes longer to get from one place to another.  If you are staying in San Jose a nice place to stay and also see some birds and photograph is the Hotel Bougainvillea. Large grounds with at times quite a few birds.  Not sure of places "close" to town.  Any I've been always seem to be a bit of a trek.  I'm sure there are many here that know much more than I for sure though.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by ChrisRoss on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Thanks to those that replied, just reporting back on my Costa Rica visit, a lot of the lodges around the parks were sold out and as the trip was primarily to visit my daughter, I adjusted plans. Summary as follows:

Hired a car and drove out to MonteVerde for 3 nights, roads were fine but became dirt roads about 30km out of Monteverde. Stayed at a local lodge, Bosque del verde, nice place on the outskirts of Monteverde, Not set up for birding though we did see a few birds on the grounds, they had some hummingbird feeders and I saw a motmot, toucanet, various hummers on the grounds. Did day trips including birding on the drier forests with a guide, night walk and a day at Santa Elana Biological reserve.

Next drove across the country past Lake Aranal and the volcano to Sarapiqui, near where my daughter was staying. Stayed at Selva Verde lodge which was setup with birding in mind with banana feeders in operation. Accommodation was a room down close to the river. Mornings spent at the lodge or surrounds and afternoons with my daughter. Saw some good birds on site and got some decent images, though light was low and no flash allowed. Also did the Sarapiqui river cruise which was quite nice, saw cayman, otters, various water birds. Conditions not ideal for photography (lighting) but still a nice trip.

Drove from there back to San Jose (1.5 hrs) for my flight back.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

3 posts |