Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I could cry but I'm so used to it by now.  :D  Yes, major storm right now (northern lights) and it's raining outside.  So, what else is new?? 

by bender16v on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 pm
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
Same here in Michigan. Also same story every time I go to the U.P. and there is activity forecast...
-Chris Harrison

by OntPhoto on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:07 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
bender16v wrote:Same here in Michigan. Also same story every time I go to the U.P. and there is activity forecast...
It's happened to me just about every time for the past couple of years.  There was another one not long ago, couple of months back?  Overcast.  Tonight I was willing to go find an opening in the clouds but unfortunately it was also raining.  Late Thursday evening the sub-auroral was storming which means it would have been clearly visible here and even into the upper northern States!

Hey, the weather looks great this coming weekend and I can assure you there will be no northern lights.  Count on it :-) lol
This is so easy to predict.  I'm right again, unfortunately.

SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM: The debris from this week's monster X9-class solar flare hit Earth's magnetic field last night. The result: Northern Lights in the USA as far south as Arkansas. A severe (G4-class) geomagnetic storm on Sept. 8th sparked auroras so bright that, in parts of Scandinavia, traffic stopped as drivers pulled over to absorb the display. More storms are in the offing tonight and tomorrow as Earth moves through the wake of this potent

by SLONINA PHOTOGRAPHY on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm
SLONINA PHOTOGRAPHY
Forum Contributor
I have several apps on my photo that tells me when the northern lights are active. I can honestly tell you they are not that great. I now pay for Space Weather which does cell phone alerts for $4.95 month. You can set the KP index to whatever you want. When I am home in New England I set mine for 5 or 6.

When I am leading trips in Fairbanks I don't use anything since we get it almost every night in March

Also keep checking spaceweather.com
Slonina Nature Photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sloninaphotography
Email: jtslonina@aol.com
Phone: (508)736-1167

Join us on a photo workshop. Explore Wild America

by Ed Cordes on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:45 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Same story in corning NY :(
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by SLONINA PHOTOGRAPHY on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 pm
SLONINA PHOTOGRAPHY
Forum Contributor
One more quick note the northern lights is most active near spring and fall solstice (March and September). It can happen year round but that is when it is most active.
Slonina Nature Photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sloninaphotography
Email: jtslonina@aol.com
Phone: (508)736-1167

Join us on a photo workshop. Explore Wild America

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:23 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SLONINA PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:One more quick note the northern lights is most active near spring and fall solstice (March and September). It can happen year round but that is when it is most active.
Since I penned this post some time ago, I can still predict the weather conditions locally in eastern Ontario whenever I hear of a northern lights alert and it hasn't deviated much from the past.  There had been a number of northern light alerts since and yes, I knew what the forecast would be before looking it up on the weather network.  Overcast.  Rain.  Or something similar that obscures a decent view of the sky.  Every time.

7 posts |