Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by jnadler on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:05 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
I realize that migrating hawks are hit or miss based on weather fronts so assume a longer stay is required to hope for a good day. What I don't  know is if Cape May fall migration is great for bird photography or just distant birding by scope? Are close by low flight encounters rare and more dependent on special techniques?

by James Vellozzi on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Jeff
I know that the peregrines (1st two weeks of October) is when the tundrias race will come by.
My best suggestion is to find a spot away from the crowds and hawk watch, perhaps closer to the east. If you have a bamboo pole or some sort of pole you can erect a dummy owl which will attract many migrant raptors, some will take one pass close, others like Merlins or Peregrines sometimes come around for several passes. I do this at Fire Island in the dunes where I can be tucked away some what.

Unless its a very dry season, any standing water pools or puddles near woodlands surely attracts small passerines.

I have only gone to Cape May twice. The distance is too far for me and often the NW winds come on a day I have to work. Robert Moses state Park, "Fire Island" is good but only on a N or NW wind..

Good luck.. If you need a bamboo pole I have several around here in which I usually cut about 1 a year..I have two plastic owls that I attached feathers to and you are welcome to use one..

James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

2 posts |