« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by James Vellozzi on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:52 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hi all,
I am heading to Iceland in about 1.5 weeks (short notice trip) and I have never been there. I was hoping for some quick information about where to photograph and see seabird colonies. I am not specific about the species rather just general information.
Any help asap would be greatly appreciated.

thanks so much

James Vellozzi
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What area will you be in? this time of year there are birds everywhere but if you are targeting a specific species it would help to know where. Distances are much farther and take much longer than it looks like on a map.

by Mike in O on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Just got notice of a fall sale on Icelandic air $489 RT from Portland Oregon....has anyone been there in October, it is too late for Salmon fishing, rats.  The last time I was in Iceland (flew an old prop viscount) where you didn't fly over the weather.

by WJaekel on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
As E.J. said, birds are everywhere at that time of the year and it would be important to know how much time you plan to spend in Iceland. One popular attraction certainly is the Latrabjarg on the Westfjords presenting one of Europes biggest bird cliffs and famous for the puffins. Another good spot is the Myvatn Lake in the North East which is known for ducks and other water birds. Cape Dyrholaey on the south coast is a good place, too. Anyway, you should plan your trip carefully especially with regard to the accommodations. I recently was pretty shocked by the mass of tourists that visit Iceland now compared to my previous stays some years ago. This can result in big problems to find an overnight accommodation if you haven't booked one in advance.

Wolfgang

by James Vellozzi on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:50 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hi All
With regards to Iceland I will be in the Akureyri and in Southern Iceland by Thor. Essentially I am looking to photograph your basic sea birds and if I am lucky a Wheater and Gyrfalcon.
Of course I will be around Reykjavik area.. Any area where I can see Puffins at close range would be great.. thanks so much..
James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Puffins at close range are pretty easy at Dyrholey in southern Iceland - when you head up the hill, stop at the first parking area, not all the way at the top by the lighthouse - there will be plenty of puffins, some within 20 feet or closer. I have never seen a Northern Wheatear in Iceland in 12 trips. Gyrfalcon, I have seen but only at a very great distance. If you are in Akurreyri, it isn't a super long drive to Myvatn so definitely go there for waterfowl and other water birds although it is now pretty late for waterfowl - that tends to be best in May/June.

6 posts |