« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:32 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Actually, I had been planning a trip to Niagara Falls to photograph the Peregrine Falcons later this month.  The birds have been nesting there for over a decade now (sometimes over on the US side but mostly on the Canadian side).  The young usually fledge around last week in June.  If there many young (like 4) the action gets really good.  One of the very best places I know of to photograph this species in flight and interacting with each other. 

Just saw the news on the Canadian Peregrine Foundation site that there is no nest activity observed this year (apparent nest failure).  Too bad.  Sure, still go and check it out in case you don't trust the reporting source but I think they know what they're seeing with scopes from the US side of the Falls.

by Ed Cordes on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Sad news for the Falcons as well as the photographers - But mostly for the falcons.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by OntPhoto on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:Sad news for the Falcons as well as the photographers - But mostly for the falcons.
There have been the odd time where they have not produced any young.  Think one year, 2010, there was a new female and no nesting that summer. 

There was a lot of up-to-date information back when they used to band the peregrine falcon nestlings at Niagara Falls.  However, that was ended when they could no longer access the roof of the OPG building due to roof safety concerns by the folks who manage the location.  This was the year before or the same year that Nik Wallenda did his famous tightrope walk across the falls.

Photographing peregrines at the falls is a very unique experience.  Very scenic. The Niagara gorge below provides a lovely green backdrop.  Close to restaurants for taking a break and getting out of the sun. Photograph them in flight at eye-level.  Photograph them hunting (chasing gulls and cormorants at eye level).  All kinds of other attractions nearby. Lots of people around so it's a safe place too.

by OntPhoto on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:02 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Late nesting? A report out of Niagara Falls June 21 confirms there are eggs in a nest with female incubating. So, we may yet see some young peregrines this summer. Look up Wikipedia and it'll tell you how long the eggs are incubated, how long after hatching the young will fledge. If all works out, maybe a mid-August fledge?

by Karl Egressy on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:03 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I just talked to a friend a few days ago. The Peregrine Falcons are nesting this year, but higher up now along the river, where the hydro buildings are.

by OntPhoto on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:31 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:I just talked to a friend a few days ago. The Peregrine Falcons are nesting this year, but higher up now along the river, where the hydro buildings are.
Interesting info Karl.  Did you get any specifics such as when the person noticed the nesting?  How far away is it from their old nesting site?

The latest report that I quoted is from someone who works for the New York DEC.  She is a familiar name and someone who has provided nesting news in the past from the US side at Niagara Falls. Her report was from Terrapin Point which is directly across from where we photograph the peregrines on the Canadian side.  The report is incidental meaning she just happened to see it.  I take it to mean she saw the nest from Terrapin Point and looking across to the Canadian side.  If the falcons are nesting a long ways from there and not within scope view from Terrapin Point, she would not put the location as Terrapin Point and incidental (my assumption and understanding of how eBird reports work but I could be wrong).

by Karl Egressy on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:38 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
OntPhoto wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:I just talked to a friend a few days ago. The Peregrine Falcons are nesting this year, but higher up now along the river, where the hydro buildings are.
Interesting info Karl.  Did you get any specifics such as when the person noticed the nesting?  How far away is it from their old nesting site?

The latest report that I quoted is from someone who works for the New York DEC.  She is a familiar name and someone who has provided nesting news in the past from the US side at Niagara Falls. Her report was from Terrapin Point which is directly across from where we photograph the peregrines on the Canadian side.  The report is incidental meaning she just happened to see it.  I take it to mean she saw the nest from Terrapin Point and looking across to the Canadian side.  If the falcons are nesting a long ways from there and not within scope view from Terrapin Point, she would not put the location as Terrapin Point and incidental (my assumption and understanding of how eBird reports work but I could be wrong).
Unfortunately I talked to the guy who went there and did not find them and he heard the new location from his friend.
I just wanted to know if you go, look at that site as well. It is a long drive for you though,
and you might not find them at all.

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:

Unfortunately I talked to the guy who went there and did not find them and he heard the new location from his friend.
I just wanted to know if you go, look at that site as well. It is a long drive for you though,
I will be "keeping my eyes" on the old nest site.  :)  Hoping to see more updates via eBirds. People may see the peregrines hanging around another location but it doesn't necessarily mean they are nesting at that location.  Sure, birds do tend to hang around where they nest. 

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Karl Egressy wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:

I will be "keeping my eyes" on the old nest site.  :)  Hoping to see more updates via eBirds. People may see the peregrines hanging around another location but it doesn't necessarily mean they are nesting at that location.  Sure, birds do tend to hang around where they nest. 
I have some news.  You read it here first. I was right about the interpretation of the eBird report.  It is at the same location as previous years, the old OPG building.  Apparently this isn't the first time peregrnes have nested there late into the season.  I just checked older observations and in 2011, young peregrines did not fledge until end of July to early August. 

This year the first nest failed but she is re-nesting.  I read that if eggs are lost early in the nesting season, the female usually lays another clutch. It's a long ways from incubation to fledgling so hoping all goes well.

I understand that access to the roof top of the OPG building may be granted this year to band the peregrine young.  It had been denied for a few years now due to the roof being unsafe.  Banding helps to keep track of the fledged birds when they show up as adult birds at various nest sites in the years ahead.  Looking forward to some late August peregrine photography at the Falls. Many of the tourists will be gone so less of the 'you look like a photographer, can you take a photo of us?' - hands over P&S camera or smart phone. 

PS.  It is always possible that there may be another pair of peregrines nesting far enough away from this pair but I am not aware of it, other than what Karl had said.  Not sure how close peregrines nest to one another without it being too much of an issue.

Update:  July 25th.  Someone vacationing at the Falls on the US side is still seeing one peregine sitting on a nest.  Did not stay long enough to see if there was a shift change.  So, it's just been over a month now since it was first spotted re-nesting.

by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Unfortunately, although there were eggs in the nest and it appeared the female tried to nest a second time, no hatching.  People over on the New York side of Niagara Falls were observing the nest and the male hasn't even been seen in awhile.  No one knows what may have happened to him. Oh well, next year.

10 posts |