Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:38 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
How nice of them.  But people speculate what really happened is a bald eagle raided a red-tail hawk nest, taking several young back to the bald eagle nest for food.  Most of the snatched red-tail hawk young meant as dinner for the bald eagles were likely already dead except for the one bird.  Bird psychology I do not understand :-)  Some warblers do incubate cowbird eggs and feed them when they hatch. 

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/bird-experts-surprised-by-red-tailed-hawk-chick-surviving-in-bald-eagle-nest

PS.  One of the people quoted in the article is David Bird who used to write a bird column for the Montreal Gazette.  He retired to Sidney, north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. where the eagle nest is located.

Here is actual video.
http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/bald-eagle-defies-nature-by-adopting-not-eating-baby-hawk-1.3448675

by Jens Peermann on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:41 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Eagles and Buzzards (Hawks) belong to the same family, which may help overcoming hesitations to raise the little guy. And the famous European Coocoo (the one with the clock) has a habit similar to that of cowbirds. It lays its eggs in other birds' nests and lets them do the incubating and raising, albeit without monitoring the progress.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by OntPhoto on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:Eagles and Buzzards (Hawks) belong to the same family, which may help overcoming hesitations to raise the little guy. And the famous European Coocoo (the one with the clock) has a habit similar to that of cowbirds. It lays its eggs in other birds' nests and lets them do the incubating and raising, albeit without monitoring the progress.
Interesting, I did not know that about the European Cuckoo.  I wonder how many other parasitic type birds are out there.  I still remember my first encounter many years ago.  Excited to see my first red-eyed vireo nest but something was not right. The 2 baby birds being fed were much larger than the adult bird feeding them.  A bittersweet moment as I had hoped to see young vireos.  Only found out later they were young cowbirds. 

A forum to follow the progress of the red-tailed fledgling (yes, it made it, so far).  They even named it Spunky.  Think you would have to have some spunk to survive in a nest with 3 much larger siblings that tower over you and fighting for the same food. I'm still wondering what happens when the first adult red-tail hawk flies by and they realize...take a second look at Spunky...wait a second....  I will have to do some research on how long adult red-tails stay with their young (teaching them how to hunt, etc.).  Hope Spunky makes it on its own.

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=908803&mode=&show=8&page=45

3 posts |