« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:19 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Remember the story about a girl who stopped her car to save some ducks crossing a busy road near Montreal?  Tragically, two motorcyclist (father and daughter) traveling behind were killed after colliding with her stationary car.  The mother on another motorcycle, avoided the collision.   

She was originally convicted and sentenced to some jail time and a 10 year ban on driving.  She appealed the sentence arguing also that not allowing her to drive for 10 years would affect her job prospects.  This incident goes back to about 2010.  Justice system is slow.  She lost her appeal.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/court+rejects+appeal+driver+deaths+people+after+stopp/13434530/story.html

This is relevant as wildlife photographers, some of us may, from time to time, stop to get a better view of a subject or even to take a photograph.  Make sure to pull over safely and don't block the road.  This past winter a popular location with a great gray owl near Montreal saw a lot of visiting photographers. The road that runs by the owl location had narrow lanes and almost no shoulder.  People parked their vehicles partly on the shoulder and partly on the road. I heard that police were handing out tickets.  One person I gave a heads up to brushed it off asking, how much is a parking ticket (indicating he'll just pay the fine).  I explained that the fine could be several hundred dollars  for this particular kind of infraction as you are partially obstructing the roadway.  People could get killed as the lanes are already  narrow and hardly any shoulder to speak of.  He got the message.  

by OntPhoto on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:43 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Monday- July 10th. Driver swerved his transport truck to avoid hitting some ducks on Highway 401 and lost control going through a guardrail, landing in a marsh.  Both the ducks and driver reported unharmed.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... on-hwy-401

by Ed Cordes on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Sounds like the ducks are out to get us!! Seriously, we do need to be careful. I have swerved many times to avoid animals of all types. Since I have not had problems I will count myself as lucky.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by bikinchris on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:16 pm
bikinchris
Forum Contributor
A few year ago, a school bus driver swerved to miss a dog on the road. The Bus flipped on it's side and there were injuries. As much as I love animals and would do everything to avoid hurting them. I have to choose sometimes to save people's lives.
Chris
http://www.eaglewheel.us

4 posts |