Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Has anyone flown this small turbo prop?  I'm looking at a flight in NZ from Christchurch to Queenstown.

by Mike in O on Mon May 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Wildflower-nut wrote:Has anyone flown this small turbo prop?  I'm looking at a flight in NZ from Christchurch to Queenstown.
If you have the time rent a van, it is a small island and easily traversed.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's basically the European equivalent of a Dash 8 and similar in configuration.

by Wildflower-nut on Mon May 29, 2017 7:45 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I'm planning to rent a camper in Queenstown after the photo tour ends.  It takes almost a full day to drive down.  Most people on the tour are flying out back to the US in the afternoon after we get to Christchurch.  I figure on flying down to Queenstown and rent a camper there instead and return to us from there.

by kent downing on Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 pm
kent downing
Forum Contributor
Hello WF Nut-
I live in NZ and travel to North America on Air New Zealand a few times each year. The shorter internal flights are typically on a mid-size turbo prop ATR-72 or Bombardier Q300- similar in size and layout. I have travelled on both planes. The staff at Air New Zealand are very accommodating and typically do not check your reasonably sized carry-on luggage. I travel with a Think Tank Glass Limo and Urban Disguise most of the time and that combo works fantastic for me. (2 bodies, 16-35, 24-105, 100-400, 400 DO, TC's, Laptop, etc.) One in the limited overhead and one under the seat in front me. If bringing a roller such as the Airport Security or International or a large Gura Gear Back Pack you may have to check it as baggage when traveling on these planes. There's no room for it in the cabin. I have recently started travelling with a Pelican Air Case checked-on to accommodate my 600 and to ease the weight and volume of my carry-on gear. I would suggest the same if you are bringing lots of gear as it sure makes traveling a lot easier and less stressful. If you go this route make sure to check with your insurance carrier for photo equipment coverage. As a option consider renting a camper in Christchurch and driving to Queenstown and back, thus avoiding the flight. There is lots to see and do along the way.  One last note, there is a fair amount of petty theft around NZ so make sure to always stow your gear out of sight and always lock your vehicle.
Have a great time in NZ.
Cheers
Kent

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Appreciate your comments. In the US and Canada on these small planes, they will let you check it at the ramp and get it back at the ramp. Will they do this in NZ or do you have to check as baggage. I think the flight from Auckland to Christchurch is a larger plane. It is only the flight from Christchurch to Queenstown that I'm worried about. I've been fighting a pelican but that may be the answer. I normally travel with the think tank international and the gura gear chobe which is more or less the same thing as your urban disguise.

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:42 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
kent downing wrote:Hello WF Nut-
I live in NZ and travel to North America on Air New Zealand a few times each year. The shorter internal flights are typically on a mid-size turbo prop ATR-72 or Bombardier Q300- similar in size and layout. I have travelled on both planes. The staff at Air New Zealand are very accommodating and typically do not check your reasonably sized carry-on luggage. I travel with a Think Tank Glass Limo and Urban Disguise most of the time and that combo works fantastic for me. (2 bodies, 16-35, 24-105, 100-400, 400 DO, TC's, Laptop, etc.) One in the limited overhead and one under the seat in front me. If bringing a roller such as the Airport Security or International or a large Gura Gear Back Pack you may have to check it as baggage when traveling on these planes. There's no room for it in the cabin. I have recently started travelling with a Pelican Air Case checked-on to accommodate my 600 and to ease the weight and volume of my carry-on gear. I would suggest the same if you are bringing lots of gear as it sure makes traveling a lot easier and less stressful. If you go this route make sure to check with your insurance carrier for photo equipment coverage. As a option consider renting a camper in Christchurch and driving to Queenstown and back, thus avoiding the flight. There is lots to see and do along the way.  One last note, there is a fair amount of petty theft around NZ so make sure to always stow your gear out of sight and always lock your vehicle.
Have a great time in NZ.
Cheers
Kent

Appreciate your comments. In the US and Canada on these small planes, they will let you check it at the ramp and get it back at the ramp. Will they do this in NZ or do you have to check as baggage. I think the flight from Auckland to Christchurch is a larger plane. It is only the flight from Christchurch to Queenstown that I'm worried about. I've been fighting a pelican but that may be the answer. I normally travel with the think tank international and the gura gear chobe which is more or less the same thing as your urban disguise.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
A Gura Gear Kiboko fits in the ATR overhead bins. I do it regularly. It's the weight limit that is the killer - 7kg is not a lot when you have big glass to consider.

There is a carry-on bag drop/collection at the ramp, but to be honest I've never used it and don't know the conditions of use. An email to Air NZ would probably find out.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
kent downing wrote:Hello WF Nut-
Have a great time in NZ.
Cheers
Kent
I've decided to rent a camper in Christchurch and drive to Queenstown like you suggested.  Flight back goes from Queenstown to Auckland.  All flights on a-320. 

by Neil Fitzgerald on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:10 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Give yourself time to enjoy the scenery!

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:23 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Neil Fitzgerald wrote:Give yourself time to enjoy the scenery!

Thanks to everyone for the help.  Going with the pelican ba22 case and my 500 as my large glass.  Would like to take a longer lens but that means a pelican and checking it.  If I have to check it, I'm comfortable that it will survive and the design does not say steal me as much as a regular pelican.  Don't like the lock.  It may be too much for tsa people to figure out.  Hope the 500 will not be that big of disadvantage over the 600.

11 posts |