Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Mike in O on Mon May 22, 2017 9:51 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Interesting what some people will go to to get their animal (photo or hunters).  The Washington Post cancelled all discussion (unheard of)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... eb1c04748c

by OntPhoto on Mon May 22, 2017 2:57 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Interesting what some people will go to to get their animal (photo or hunters).  The Washington Post cancelled all discussion (unheard of)
I don't understand the mentality behind big game hunting.  I just don't get it.  Maybe if I grew up hunting.  I can understand some people hunt for the purposes of food.  

Big game hunters are trophy hunters. Some hunters who hunt for food are trophy hunters too. "Look, I killed a 12 pointer buck and mounted his head on the wall or here's a photo of it".  In one of the articles written about wildlife photography, particular the northern winter owls like snowy owls and great gray owls, someone referred to the displaying of such photos on sites like Facebook and Flickr as the"new" trophy rooms.  I found that a very fascinating insight.  I just found it an interesting comparison.

Many people have compared photography to hunting.  You have to know your subject, where to go find them, know how to approach them, lay in wait and pull the trigger.  

by EGrav on Mon May 22, 2017 7:19 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Karma.....

Last edited by EGrav on Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

by WDCarrier on Tue May 23, 2017 5:45 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Mike in O wrote:Interesting what some people will go to to get their animal (photo or hunters).  The Washington Post cancelled all discussion (unheard of)
I don't understand the mentality behind big game hunting.  I just don't get it.  Maybe if I grew up hunting.  I can understand some people hunt for the purposes of food.  

Big game hunters are trophy hunters. Some hunters who hunt for food are trophy hunters too. "Look, I killed a 12 pointer buck and mounted his head on the wall or here's a photo of it".  In one of the articles written about wildlife photography, particular the northern winter owls like snowy owls and great gray owls, someone referred to the displaying of such photos on sites like Facebook and Flickr as the"new" trophy rooms.  I found that a very fascinating insight.  I just found it an interesting comparison.

Many people have compared photography to hunting.  You have to know your subject, where to go find them, know how to approach them, lay in wait and pull the trigger.  
As I have sadly come to realize, we have a majority in our society that would gladly shoot the last elephant to get into the front of the line to buy the new iPod.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by tom walker on Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 am
tom walker
Forum Contributor
Trophy hunting should be assigned to the dust heap of history, a vestige of the past. And as much as I find the activity distasteful, chortling over a human death is equally appalling. The grief of spouse, children, and friends need not be exacerbated by what often seems to be self-righteous gloating. Not accusing anyone here but in other places it has been blatant.

by david fletcher on Sun May 28, 2017 5:51 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
tom walker wrote:Trophy hunting should be assigned to the dust heap of history, a vestige of the past. And as much as I find the activity distasteful, chortling over a human death is equally appalling. The grief of spouse, children, and friends need not be exacerbated by what often seems to be self-righteous gloating. Not accusing anyone here but in other places it has been blatant.

well said
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Paul Fusco on Wed May 31, 2017 11:36 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
While it may be sad to lose a human life in this case, it is also a risk that goes along with the activity. I am sure the hunters were aware of what could happen when out trying to kill a very large animal that does not want to be killed. Elephants are known to have societal structure to their herds and they have been shown to have not only intelligence, but emotion. What about the ones that are left behind after the hunters (or poachers) leave the scene? Was the dead cow a mother that had a calf? Was that animal a matriarch that knew where to lead the rest of the herd (family group) to water, to food, or to safe places?
Lets consider the other side of the equation here. This is not pretty on any level.

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

7 posts |