Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by WDCarrier on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
I'm planning on staying 2 nights at the Hotel Ype near Sao Paulo, Brazil en route to the Pantenal in June.  I understand there are good bird photo opportunities there, has anyone had any experience at this location?  Appreciate any info/suggestions.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Mike Danzenbaker on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:24 pm
Mike Danzenbaker
Lifetime Member
Member #:00559
We stayed there 3 nights in September 2015, although for most of the daylight hours we were elsewhere looking for forest birds. I would rate the bird photo opps there as good but not really great, although this depends on what you're trying to do. They have hummingbird feeders up, plus some lantana which attracts some other hummers (a male Frilled Coquette was a highlight for us). They put out some fruit (bananas I think) in a tree outside the dining room that could have attracted some Saffron Toucanets, but for us they were stand-offish. They also put out some seed below the dining room that attracted some small birds (drab but scarce Uniform Finch). Habituated Dusky-legged Guans walk around the grounds, and there was a pair of Tawny-browed Owls that came out after dark that were relatively approachable. Groups of Sick's Swifts came by sometimes providing a good BIF challenge.

The surrounding forest and the road leading downslope from the hotel is good for "quality" birds, but as usual photography inside the forest is difficult.

I haven't processed any photos from this trip or else I could send you some examples.
"Animal instinct is more amazing than human ingenuity."

Mike
http://www.avesphoto.com

by mlgray12 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:08 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
If you are talking about Hotel do Ype in the Itatiaia NP- have also stayed there - loved it - One scenic picture is of the emergent tree coming out of Rainforest. They do have fruit feeders and we had both the Saffron Toucanets and Red-breasted Toucan. I photographed 6 species of hummers including the Frilled Coquette and Brazilian Ruby. All this was in mid November back in 2009 before heading over to REGUA ( Conservation Lodge that is re-foresting the low land Atlantic rainforest and building a wildlife corridor back up to the highlands in a National Park - quite a magnificent project that GCBO has helped with some funding - We contributed last year through Rainforest Trust. First visited this site back in August 2007 and it was amazing amount of progress made in short period of time - should visit if you can fit it in!!!

Back to Hotel - We also had 10 tanager species along with the Guans- overall there are some great birds there but as all Rainforests not a super easy shoot.
They also have Black-horned Capuchin that love to try and get the bird put out for birds - staff try to run them off - At night the insects are incredible if you are into macro photography

Hope this helps- Great place to stay
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by WDCarrier on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to those 10 species of tanagers!
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

4 posts |