« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 74 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Just coming back to the US from abroad and on boarding the plan every single passenger had to have every item opened and hand inspected at the gate prior to boarding - similar to right after 9/11.

by Candew on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:03 pm
Candew
Forum Contributor
I had a different experience coming back from Rome, Saturday.  No problems at security.  Left my tablet in the backpack and it went right through.  Absolutely no checks at the gate.  Provided my boarding pass and that was it.  Small backpack was my "personal item" and Pelican case was my carryon.  

I wonder if there was a special alert for your flight.  That has happened to me in the past.  One time they took everyone off of the plane and had each person identify their checked luggage, that was on the ground, under the wing of the plane.

Liz

by photoman4343 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I found this at British Air website. Here are the hand luggage restrictions issued by the UK Department for Transport for some flights inbound to the UK from certain countries as of March 28, 2017.  

For in cabin luggage, the UK has specific size limitations for cell phones. And they ban external hard drives. But cameras are allowed.

Spare or separate device batteries and portable power supplies will not be allowed in either cabin or hold luggage.

Please note that at this time they only apply to flights originating in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.

Full info:  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/addi ... -to-the-uk
Joe Smith

by WJaekel on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:36 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
It will be interesting to know what will happen if you just booked a special photo trip or workshop in Africa, CR  or elsewhere let's say for 2018 and this paranoid ban will come into effect until then so that you cannot bring your gear. I don't think the operator will accept a cancelation and refund the costs. So it's presumably your own risk as usual. Anyway, you could photograph hummingbirds or hunting lions with your cellphone, at least :wink: :twisted:

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
WJaekel wrote:It will be interesting to know what will happen if you just booked a special photo trip or workshop in Africa, CR  or elsewhere let's say for 2018 and this paranoid ban will come into effect until then so that you cannot bring your gear. I don't think the operator will accept a cancelation and refund the costs. So it's presumably your own risk as usual. Anyway, you could photograph hummingbirds or hunting lions with your cellphone, at least :wink: :twisted:

Wolfgang
I think your best bet in this scenario is to immediately buy travel insurance...

by photoman4343 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:30 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I just saw this posting on another site. Photographer explains procedures he incurred with photo equipment in Turkey.

https://photographylife.com/electronics-carry-on-ban/
Joe Smith

by WJaekel on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:40 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
WJaekel wrote:It will be interesting to know what will happen if you just booked a special photo trip or workshop in Africa, CR  or elsewhere let's say for 2018 and this paranoid ban will come into effect until then so that you cannot bring your gear. I don't think the operator will accept a cancelation and refund the costs. So it's presumably your own risk as usual. Anyway, you could photograph hummingbirds or hunting lions with your cellphone, at least :wink: :twisted:

Wolfgang
I think your best bet in this scenario is to immediately buy travel insurance...

Thank you, E.J., but I doubt that any travel insurance here would cover a cancellation due to the fact that you cannot safely bring your gear into the cabin. Normally they just cover major risks just as illness or accidents. They would argue that the ban doesn't necessarily prevent you from going on the trip because you could put the gear into the checked luggage as required :wink: . Of course, there are special  insurances for photographers that perhaps cover loss or damages to a certain amount. But that wouldn't help in the first place if you arrive at the location and your gear is lost, stolen or damaged. Then you're screwed and wouldn't get the money back for the trip and the costs for the workshop though there might be some compensation for the gear after the return, at least.

Wolfgang

by Larry Shuman on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:22 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
It appears that this ruling was made by someone with no knowledge of digital cameras or photography. All you have to do is remove the battery from your camera and put it in your checked bag. A digital camera without a battery is more useless than a bag of hammers.

Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
larrys@bex.net wrote:It appears that this ruling was made by someone with no knowledge of digital cameras or photography. All you have to do is remove the battery from your camera and put it in your checked bag. A digital camera without a battery is more useless than a bag of hammers.

Larry
Nope - LiIon batteries are an absolute no no in checked baggage - you will have several airliners burning up in the sky per year.

by Larry Shuman on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:05 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Then I don't understand then they take your $4,000 to $8,000 camera, rap it in bubble rape and put it on the plane. Why couldn't you take the battery out of the camera and put it in a vest pocket? Once seated it is very difficult to get into the bag that is under the seat in front of you to put the battery back into the camera.
I've flown over seas and continental US several times and my batteries have never caused any problem. Isn't putting your gear in checked baggage is still putting lion batteries in checked baggage?

Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
larrys@bex.net wrote:Then I don't understand then they take your $4,000 to $8,000 camera, rap it in bubble rape and put it on the plane. Why couldn't you take the battery out of the camera and put it in a vest pocket? Once seated it is very difficult to get into the bag that is under the seat in front of you to put the battery back into the camera.
I've flown over seas and continental US several times and my batteries have never caused any problem. Isn't putting your gear in checked baggage is still putting lion batteries in checked baggage?

Larry
You must remove the batteries and carry those on.  The basic process on the airlines that already have to do this on flights to the US from the middle east is roughly as follows:

You take your stuff to the gate as you would normally.  At the gate there is a gate check-in procedure that requires you to remove the batteries from your cameras and then hand over the cameras to a special check-in container.  Lenses and batteries stay with you.  Laptops, tablets and items where the LiIon batteries can not be removed are placed in a locked container that is stored by the flight crew in the cabin to allow for quick fire suppression should a problem occur.  There are variations on the theme and should this become the procedure for all international flights I'm sure the airlines will come up with various ways to deal with this safely but LiIon batteries will not suddenly be allowed in checked baggage given the number of fires that have already occurred due to them.  Just two weeks ago a JetBlue fly made an emergency landing on a coast to coast flight due to a laptop catching on fire in the cabin.  had that been in the cargo hold, the results could have been disastrous.

by photoman4343 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:20 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Laptops are likely not to be banned, at least for now. But expect more screening at airports. More details here:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN19J21S

And I could not find anything new at Homeland Security's website of TSA's. Check with your airline too to see what its policies will be.
Joe Smith

by Primus on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:21 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Breaking News:

Turkish and Emirates allowed to bring electronics now, Etihad was cleared a few days ago.

Pradeep

by bikinchris on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:11 pm
bikinchris
Forum Contributor
Candew wrote:I had a different experience coming back from Rome, Saturday.  No problems at security.  Left my tablet in the backpack and it went right through.  Absolutely no checks at the gate.  Provided my boarding pass and that was it.  Small backpack was my "personal item" and Pelican case was my carryon.  

I wonder if there was a special alert for your flight.  That has happened to me in the past.  One time they took everyone off of the plane and had each person identify their checked luggage, that was on the ground, under the wing of the plane.

Liz
No, that's Italy. When we flew into Rome a few years ago on Alitalia, the cockpit door flew open on landing. It wasn't locked. They didn't care. 
Chris
http://www.eaglewheel.us

74 posts |