Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:50 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Has anyone flown first air to Churchill in November/polar bears?  Calm air was difficult as I understand it.  Have they improved??

by EGrav on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Never had a problem with Calm Air - 3 trips to Churchill. First year had 500mm, last 2 trips had 600mm lens. Also, 2 camera bodies and several other lenses (100-400, 70-200, and a couple of wide angles for Northern Lights, sunsets, etc.) Oct 2011, Nov 2013, and Nov 2014. Friend of mine went last year - didn't mention any problems with flight.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No problem with Calm here either, you just need to be very friendly and respectful with the flight attendants and they will do everything in their power to accommodate you. It's all in your attitude on whether or not you have problem in my experience :)

by DMcLarty on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:08 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
First Air is not here anymore out of Winnipeg ... Calm Air is the one who you will be making reservations with...through a code share agreement Calm Air is using the First Airs 737 400 jet from Winnipeg to Churchill daily. There is actually two flights per day the morning is Winnipeg to Churchill the afternoon you would come all the way to Rankin Inlet and then back down to Churchill.

when you check the flights and bookings use the Calm Air website if you are not part of a special group and or charter...during bear season there are special charters some of the groups setup.

As far as baggage we have one of the highest in the industry, that being said the carry on is also monitored and in Winnipeg they will ask for a weigh in even on the carry on. But during the season the folks know that cameras and other equipment are precious and they try to adjust as best they can for all.

weather can be your worse enemy and often delays so just be patient and be prepared to wait some...it is part of the adventure of the north.

we fly this jet regularly for all our needs and the newer jet is a welcome service...ok it's the only way we travel :)

doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by Brian E. Small on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:21 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
DMcLarty wrote:First Air is not here anymore out of Winnipeg ... Calm Air is the one who you will be making reservations with...through a code share agreement Calm Air is using the First Airs 737 400 jet from Winnipeg to Churchill daily. There is actually two flights per day the morning is Winnipeg to Churchill the afternoon you would come all the way to Rankin Inlet and then back down to Churchill.

when you check the flights and bookings use the Calm Air website if you are not part of a special group and or charter...during bear season there are special charters some of the groups setup.

As far as baggage we have one of the highest in the industry, that being said the carry on is also monitored and in Winnipeg they will ask for a weigh in even on the carry on. But during the season the folks know that cameras and other equipment are precious and they try to adjust as best they can for all.

weather can be your worse enemy and often delays so just be patient and be prepared to wait some...it is part of the adventure of the north.

we fly this jet regularly for all our needs and the newer jet is a welcome service...ok it's the only way we travel :)

doug
Doug,

I'm actually in the process of planning a trip to Churchill this summer.  I did see on the Calm Air site there are two flights a day between Winnipeg and Churchill.  If you know, are both flights using the 737 or only one of them?  If it's only one, how do you know which of the flights are using that jet by looking on the Calm Air site?

by DMcLarty on Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:18 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Hi Brian

...there are two flights a day between Winnipeg and Churchill...

on the regular schedule both use the 737-400 combi ( ie passengers and freight)

The morning flight 535 departing at 7 am ish is direct Winnipeg to Churchill. approx. 60 minute flight then onwards north.

The afternoon flight 537 departs around 3 pm and is Winnipeg north to Rankin (stop over to unload freight pick up passengers headed south ect) then back south to Churchill. makes it about a 3 hour trip.   Over all you want to take the morning flight for best time.  

Calm Air has in the past ( not sure about this year) also added seasonal flights flight numbers 501 /583 direct to Churchill (Monday/ Tuesday/ Fridays) during the winter bear season and summer birds/ beluga times. These flights use the ATR from Winnipeg to Churchill. You would have to confirm with Calm Air if they are going to do the same this year.

Doug
Lethbridge Alberta    
Twitter @DadRankin

by Brian E. Small on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
DMcLarty wrote:Hi Brian

...there are two flights a day between Winnipeg and Churchill...

on the regular schedule both use the 737-400 combi ( ie passengers and freight)

The morning flight 535 departing at 7 am ish is direct Winnipeg to Churchill. approx. 60 minute flight then onwards north.

The afternoon flight 537 departs around 3 pm and is Winnipeg north to Rankin (stop over to unload freight pick up passengers headed south ect) then back south to Churchill. makes it about a 3 hour trip.   Over all you want to take the morning flight for best time.  

Calm Air has in the past ( not sure about this year) also added seasonal flights flight numbers 501 /583 direct to Churchill (Monday/ Tuesday/ Fridays) during the winter bear season and summer birds/ beluga times. These flights use the ATR from Winnipeg to Churchill. You would have to confirm with Calm Air if they are going to do the same this year.

Doug
Great info................many thanks Doug!

by Brian E. Small on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Doug,

One more follow up...................do I understand it right that seating on Calm Air is "first come, first served"? If so, how early before departure do you suggest getting there to be one of the first on board?

by DMcLarty on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Hi
do I understand it right that seating on Calm Air is "first come, first served...

(this is for the Jet service not the ATR service if they have that on as well during the time you are travelling )

when you purchase your tickets you can ask for a seat assignment and they will assign a seat.  There is no seat charge like other airlines. If there is no seat assigned at purchase they will do it at check in. In Winnipeg for the 7 am jet flight you more less have to be there at 5:30AM to start checkin. (for the early flight there are 3 hotels right at the airport and about 6 within 15 minutes of the airport.)

Right around 6-7 am there are numerous flights in Winnipeg headed to Toronto and other large centers so security can be back logged pretty fast.   Once past security the waiting game an starts. At the gate they will call the flight usually elders/small babies first then all others in a organized line. We are all pretty congenial so there is no rush at the gate :)  

On the jet a regular sized carry on will fit above and a medium sized backpack under the seats. The seat spacing is also larger then most airlines.

I  had a smaller camera/laptop backpack and a regulation carry on for the last three trips and no issues at all other then they see the backpack as a carry on instead of a personal item so frown a bit...just keep smiling.

On the jet the check bags allowance is also great. three (3) pieces of baggage with combined weight of no more than 120 lbs 50 lb max per bag.

The morning flight is usually close to being on time the late afternoon flight can be delayed often so keep that in mind for your return flight from Churchill and it arrives Winnipeg at about 10 pm or later.

Over all with the jet service things have really improved.
Have a great trip

Doug
Lethbridge Alberta    
Twitter @DadRankin

by Brian E. Small on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:34 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
DMcLarty wrote:Hi
do I understand it right that seating on Calm Air is "first come, first served...

(this is for the Jet service not the ATR service if they have that on as well during the time you are travelling )

when you purchase your tickets you can ask for a seat assignment and they will assign a seat.  There is no seat charge like other airlines. If there is no seat assigned at purchase they will do it at check in. In Winnipeg for the 7 am jet flight you more less have to be there at 5:30AM to start checkin. (for the early flight there are 3 hotels right at the airport and about 6 within 15 minutes of the airport.)

Right around 6-7 am there are numerous flights in Winnipeg headed to Toronto and other large centers so security can be back logged pretty fast.   Once past security the waiting game an starts. At the gate they will call the flight usually elders/small babies first then all others in a organized line. We are all pretty congenial so there is no rush at the gate :)  

On the jet a regular sized carry on will fit above and a medium sized backpack under the seats. The seat spacing is also larger then most airlines.

I  had a smaller camera/laptop backpack and a regulation carry on for the last three trips and no issues at all other then they see the backpack as a carry on instead of a personal item so frown a bit...just keep smiling.

On the jet the check bags allowance is also great. three (3) pieces of baggage with combined weight of no more than 120 lbs 50 lb max per bag.

The morning flight is usually close to being on time the late afternoon flight can be delayed often so keep that in mind for your return flight from Churchill and it arrives Winnipeg at about 10 pm or later.

Over all with the jet service things have really improved.
Have a great trip

Doug
Hi Doug,

Again, great info.  Yes, I'm booked for the morning flight on the way up and the evening flight on the way back to Winnipeg.  I believe both flights are on the jet.............and no, when I purchased the tix I was not offered the option to select a seat.  So it looks like I'll be getting to the airport early  :-)

by Chas on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:03 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Wildflower-nut wrote:Has anyone flown first air to Churchill in November/polar bears?  Calm air was difficult as I understand it.  Have they improved??
I have taken Calm Air flts to Churchill in Nov for the past 12 years in a row. The biggest problem for photog's is the carry-on weight restrictions. Of course weather delays can also be encountered when traveling in Nov. Rest assured Calm Air agents will weigh all your gear, checked and carry-on, when checking in for fits to/from Churchill. The carry-on limit is 20 lbs, not much at all. We have had some participants in the past buy an additional seat and strap the gear in next to them (note-$$$$ big bucks). We now make special arrangments with the airline to carry-on more (40lbs) and check less, with the overall weight remaing the same. It is a costly endeavor and not easily arranged. They have been a bit more lenient the past few years with new ownership. You can pay for extra weight checked, but the carry-on is the headache. Squirreling gear in your coat is best!! Additionally, make sure you only check one bag! Checking two bags means one gets "Priority" staus with the other bag sometimes arriving on a later flt. You can get "Priority" labels, be nice to the agents. 

http://www.calmair.com/carry_on.html

Best and Safe travels to Churchill,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

11 posts |