« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The 80 year run is over - the entire photography ecosystem is in serious demise and consolidation right now...
https://petapixel.com/2017/03/07/popula ... -magazine/

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
As was stated in the article, phones have taken over for photography and reading with the younger crowd. Anywhere you go, from the doctors office to remote areas, people are glued to their phones (except for us older guys that can't see the small screen easily). Not many young people really care about high quality images. They only want to post to social media that will be viewed on other phones or, maybe, tablets/phablets. They also like apps that play with images in ways not even thought of by photographers from our generation. Around here, cursive writing isn't even taught in schools anymore. I just wonder what the next ten years will bring to photography as we know it!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by walkinman on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 pm
walkinman
Forum Contributor
Member #:01141
Photography is more popular than ever. Popular Photography closes its doors.

There's undeniable irony there.

Cheers

Carl
[i]"Let he without stones cast the first sin"[/i]

[url=http://www.skolaiimages.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://www.expeditionsalaska.com][b]Expeditions Alaska[/b] - Alaska Backpacking Trips and Photo Tours[/url]

by Kerry on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I saw something about this last week.

My head tells me that this devlopment has every bit as much to do with the world of periodical publishing, writ large, as it does with the state of photography per se. I wonder how long before Outdoor Photographer ceases to exist in analog form. That publication has already shrunk by roughly 30% and it has far, far less advertising than it did just a few years ago.

by OntPhoto on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I haven't purchased a photography magazine in years, maybe 8+ years now.  Magazines compete with my internet reading in general.  Nor have I purchased a newspaper for roughly the same period of time (maybe the very odd one once in a blue moon).  We now live in an image saturated world.  And information on just about anything online and for free. Am I your typical consumer these days?

Same with birding magazines.  Haven't bought ine in many years now.  So much free and up-to-date info on birds on the web.  I know that by glancing at the magazine store shelves, they're down to 2 titles in English (Blossoms and Birds, Birdwatching) and one in French.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:33 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Kerry wrote:I saw something about this last week.

My head tells me that this devlopment has every bit as much to do with the world of periodical publishing, writ large, as it does with the state of photography per se.  I wonder how long before Outdoor Photographer ceases to exist in analog form.  That publication has already shrunk by roughly 30% and it has far, far less advertising than it did just a few years ago.
Let's hope not too soon. Two years ago I bought from ebay almost all previous issues ( i'm a subscriber from 2004) so I've got some reading material for now :)
I wonder how situation is in UK since it looks like they have more photography magazines (and any other hobby magazines) in circulation than we do.

by Mike in O on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:19 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The printed press has passed on...it had a good run from Gutenberg bible to the present. A whole new business model has to be made for the future with a lot of casualties in the meantime.

by WDCarrier on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:35 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:As was stated in the article, phones have taken over for photography and reading with the younger crowd. Anywhere you go, from the doctors office to remote areas, people are glued to their phones (except for us older guys that can't see the small screen easily). Not many young people really care about high quality images. They only want to post to social media that will be viewed on other phones or, maybe, tablets/phablets. They also like apps that play with images in ways not even thought of by photographers from our generation. Around here, cursive writing isn't even taught in schools anymore. I just wonder what the next ten years will bring to photography as we know it!

Joe
With the projected unchecked increase in global warming over the next couple of decades it may be that the biggest problem for wildlife photographers is finding subject-matter to photograph.

Dean
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Karl Egressy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:58 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
SantaFeJoe wrote:
"Anywhere you go, from the doctors office to remote areas, people are glued to their phones (except for us older guys that can't see the small screen easily)."
What I'm seeing is that the older generation is into this phone craze as well, I see it all the time.
I was at an Airport in US, waiting for my Toronto flight and I was shocked seeing a guy in his eighties maybe even nineties right across my seat, being glued to his phone all the time
Then I looked around and saw that almost everybody did the same.
I felt ashamed since I did not even have a cell phone LOL.

by OntPhoto on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:The printed press has passed on...it had a good run from Gutenberg bible to the present.  A whole new business model has to be made for the future with a lot of casualties in the meantime.
With me, I still prefer a physical book.  I still prefer holding, flipping thru the pages of a physical book vs an eBook. Maybe it's only a matter of time before I succumb.

by DChan on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:47 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Mike in O wrote:The printed press has passed on...it had a good run from Gutenberg bible to the present.  A whole new business model has to be made for the future with a lot of casualties in the meantime.
With me, I still prefer a physical book.  I still prefer holding, flipping thru the pages of a physical book vs an eBook. Maybe it's only a matter of time before I succumb.
Books likely will still last for a while. Sometime ago there was a survey among some college students to see if they prefer digital or had copies books. Most found it all right to read an article or two from a computer screen. For serious studies they prefer physical books.

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:35 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Wow, this is shocking. I can't believe they're gone.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Ed Cordes on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
It is very sad. However, it is the world we live in. The digital age, with all its benefits, still has it own challenges. Major change like the digital revolution can never take place without some casualties. I don't mean to be crass. It is just reality. I am sad about POP going out of business. I remember well when I was in high school pouring over the articles and ads. Now, I read more on line and on my e-book tablet than anywhere else. BTW, I am 69 years old, so it's not just the millennials driving this trend.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by DChan on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:  BTW, I am 69 years old, so it's not just the millennials driving this trend.
And Donald Trump is 70.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:21 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Interestingly enough, millenials feel that Generation Z may be the demise of print magazines according to this article:

http://aejmcmagazine.arizona.edu/Journa ... oberts.pdf

I also read that more new print magazines are added each year than are retired. Many of them were gaming (not gambling) magazines. The trend for print media is global, as well:

http://www.mxmindia.com/2017/03/indian- ... ond-print/

Cost of magazines seems to be a factor that plays a big part. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that subscriptions (less expensive) are up, while newsstand sales are down. I, personally, have never liked paying a small fortune for some magazines that are full of ads. Logistics regarding distribution and competition for display space are factors too. Peoples interests are quite varied now and very many magazines are about the same subjects, so competition is tough and you must stand out from the crowd at the newsstand to corner a significant portion of sales and survive.
In the photography world, magazines always played a part in learning the craft and getting inspiration. Now, the information, inspiration and answers to questions is just a few mouse clicks and seconds away. E-books and tutorials are readily available and forums like NSN and others bring answers to questions and problems quickly from many others with similar experiences. The knowledge pool is vast.

Joe

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Ed Cordes wrote:  BTW, I am 69 years old, so it's not just the millennials driving this trend.
And Donald Trump is 70.
But Don doesn't read

16 posts |