All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by signgrap on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:18 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
My wife and I will be visiting Santa Fe, NM from June 14th till 23, 2017.  We're both nature/landscape photographers and would appreciate recommendation of things to see and photograph within reasonable distance of Santa Fe. In addition to photography we're both interested in the Arts (I was a ceramic designer/potter/sign maker and my wife is a graphic designer/weaver).  Thanks.
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:44 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Regarding arts, you will have a hard time escaping that in SF. Canyon Road, the town of Madrid (a very colorful town) not too far south of SF, Taos about 65 miles north, anywhere downtown in SF, several museums, Shidoni Foundry near Tesuque about 5 miles north. Weavings in Chimayo about 25 miles north, Los Ojos about 100 miles north and I'm sure here in town, but I don't often play tourist. Next to Shidoni is a great glass shop. Taos is a very artsy town, just like SF. Landscapes are everywhere, as well. Tent Rocks (Kashe-Katuwe National Monument, the High Road to Taos, Jemez Mountains, Bisti Badlands (maybe a bit far, but worthwhile if you have the time), any of the Pueblos (Taos, Jemez, Santo Domingo, etc), Bandelier National Monument, to name a few areas. Here are a few links:

Tent Rocks NM

Madrid, NM

Bisti Badlands

Canyon Road

Northern NM Pueblos

High Road to Taos

Shidoni Foundry

Jemez Mountains

Bandelier NM

If you ask the dept. of Tourism for a visitor guide, you will find it has a lot of info. I'm sure the city has one also. Check here:

Santa Fe Visitors Guide

NM Visitors Guide

New Mexico Adventure Guide

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I hope you have a trip like I had when in high school, meeting DH Lawrence's girl friend (a lady in waiting to queen Victoria) and Georgia O'Keeffe with Ernie Blake shooting at us crossing his land on horseback (founder of Taos ski area and a real jerk). Spent the night in the Taos Pueblo with the chief (ex-husband of our hosts (a friend of my mother).

by stevenmajor on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:46 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
I notice some areas around Santa Fe have had more rain that usual this winter, could mean a bumper crop of blooming cactus. The local blooming reports will let you know. GL

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If you go south an hour, there are also places around Albuquerque including Indian Petroglyph National Monument and Sandia Peak/Crest.

by signgrap on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:09 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Is there anything likely to be blooming in the desert mid-June?
If yes, where would is a good place to photograph the blooms?

Thanks for all your informative replies  :D
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There is always something in bloom in the high desert in June. This year will probably be different from most prior years. We have had very warm and dry conditions. Some cultivated flowers are already blooming, and the fruit trees are budding out. I can't give recommendations of where to go, as they are wherever you find them(not being sarcastic). Here's a link to what you may see in different locations and at different times:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/plants ... xico.shtml

Google may help find more info.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

7 posts |