Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Ram Vasudev on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:54 pm
Ram Vasudev
Forum Contributor
Does anyone know of a resource (book or a website) for identifying shorebirds through their footprints is sand?

Thanks in advance.
Ram Vasudev

“Learn to edit the scene before you even see it through the viewfinder. ” — Jack Dykinga

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:04 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Maybe this will help. It's a simple Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=identify ... ent=safari

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's another:

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... EQ1QIIVygF

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Ram Vasudev on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:30 am
Ram Vasudev
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Joe.

I have done the obvious Google searches, without much luck (Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my original post).

I am looking for a definitive (authoritative), detailed resource on identifying birds from their footprints. It appears that there is no such thing. None of my bird books have footprints. I didn’t find a website either. I’ll keep looking.

Thanks so much for your response.
Ram Vasudev

“Learn to edit the scene before you even see it through the viewfinder. ” — Jack Dykinga

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:45 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Bird Tracks & Sign: A Guide to North American Species

Mark Elbroch, Eleanor Marie Marks
Stackpole Books, 2001 - Nature - 456 pages
1 Review

Songbirds, waterfowl, owls, shorebirds, warblers, woodpeckers, nightjars, birds of prey
Dozens of feather groups photographed in color
A sighting in the field is just one way birders can identify bird species. Observant nature-lovers can discover what birds are where by examining tracks, trails, and a variety of bird sign: discarded feathers, feeding leftovers and caches, pellets, nests, droppings, and skulls and bones. This fully illustrated guide--the first of its kind for North American birds--presents thorough and straightforward instruction for identifying bird families or individual species by careful examination of the unique sign they leave behind. It also offers keys to the birds' behavior in the wild.

More »

Preview this book »

This one is pretty informative. I found one place where I could read most of it. If I can find it again, I will post a link. I have trouble posting some things froman iPad.
Joe

by Stephen Feingold on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:32 am
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
You can find a used copy of "Bird Tracks & Sign: A Guide to North American Species" on abebooks.com

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:20 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I'm going to try to post a link that may or may not work. When the title comes up, click on it and when the book comes up, click on "preview this book". Then where you see "Front Cover", click on the down arrow and go to "Tracks and Trails" page 13. Hope this works to preview this chapter. It's seems very well written and informative.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Bi ... vqcmYRwrcC

Joe

by Ram Vasudev on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 pm
Ram Vasudev
Forum Contributor
Thanks very much, Joe.
Ram Vasudev

8 posts |