Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by akjackson1 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 pm
akjackson1
Forum Contributor
I recently picked up the following flashlight from Amazon hoping it would work well for finding owls at night: [font=Arial, sans-serif]http://a.co/9YKUFsn[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]At 1200 lumens you'd think it would be plenty suitable, but even fully zoomed in, the brightness is quite pathetic. I haven't actually tried it for owling yet but I'm not very hopeful.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I know Fenix flashlights are supposed to be very good, but I also can't really justify spending $80+ on a flashlight. Surely there's something that's decent out there for a bit cheaper? Or is Fenix the only way to go? Any other recommendations?[/font]
RawComposition.com
D810 + 200-500

by DChan on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
akjackson1 wrote:I recently picked up the following flashlight from Amazon hoping it would work well for finding owls at night: [font=Arial, sans-serif]http://a.co/9YKUFsn[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]At 1200 lumens you'd think it would be plenty suitable, but even fully zoomed in, the brightness is quite pathetic. I haven't actually tried it for owling yet but I'm not very hopeful.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I know Fenix flashlights are supposed to be very good, but I also can't really justify spending $80+ on a flashlight. Surely there's something that's decent out there for a bit cheaper? Or is Fenix the only way to go? Any other recommendations?[/font]

You want more power, you have to pay for it. $12.99...not sure how much you could get from it. You sure they're telling you the truth that it's 1200 lumens ?? :) 

Is Fenix the only way to go? I guess not. Here's one you can consider:

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-Baton-Lum ... olight+s1r

Or you can just get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Maglite-XL50-3-C ... s=maglight

The newer version has more power.

by DChan on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Here's a forum for flashlight fanatics where you can learn more about flashlight:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/for ... 941ef47b04

by OntPhoto on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Someone recommended this brand, Fenix.  Really like it and is very portable.  The lights have several brightness settings.  

However, when I was observing an eastern screech owl at night, I chose a green light, just enough to see the owl.  The Fenix can be pretty strong if an owl is in close proximity.

by AJAY on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:43 am
AJAY
Forum Contributor
Please be considerate of the owl's night vision. Flash photography and/or bright lights cause the owl to lose its night vision and can temporarily blind the owl. Their eyes work similar to humans except their night vision is much better than ours.

If you have ever gone stargazing and had someone shine a bright flashlight in your eyes it takes about 20-30 minutes for your night vision to recover. Same applies with owls.

Thanks for understanding.

by dougc on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:05 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
60 lumens will temporarily blind a human. What do you think 1200 will do to an owl?

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:37 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I have two flashlights in the 1000 lumen range. They are much too bright for owls at night. They shine clear across the park on the other side of the street to a wall about 150 yards away. I have two pocket flashlights that are rated at 300 lux (different measurement completely) and I feel they are way too bright as well. If you care about the owls well being, I would strongly advise against using flashlights or flash photography on owls at night, especially flying owls. There are plenty of sites that come up online pro and con if you Google the subject, including at least one written by an NSN member telling his techniques for flying owls with flash (photography), but I think (my strong personal opinion) lights and owls at night should never be mixed!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:43 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
In case some may not know, many flashlights have settings for brightness levels. Usually you can only use the brightest level for a shorter time. I have the flashlights that I linked above and I don't need to use the brightest level most of the time.

For the records, I have never used any flashlight in any fashion on any owl at any time.

by akjackson1 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm
akjackson1
Forum Contributor
I appreciate the feedback. But to keep this on track, I'm interested in flashlight recommendations, the ethics can be left to another discussion.

Or if you must share your opinion, please do so while citing a peer-reviewed article from a scientific journal.
RawComposition.com
D810 + 200-500

by stevenmajor on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:50 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Like other posters, I also think using any artificial light is both dangerous and disrespectful to wild creatures.

FYI:  This is not a flashlight website.

If there are no specific Owl qualities your flashlight needs to have, and cost is a determining factor, maybe a flashlight website is better.

Last edited by stevenmajor on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by EGrav on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:57 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
stevenmajor wrote:Like other posters, I also think using any artificial light is both dangerous and disrespectful to wild creatures.

FYI:  This is not a flashlight website.

Agree!!!! 

by dougc on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:36 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
akjackson1 wrote:I appreciate the feedback. But to keep this on track, I'm interested in flashlight recommendations, the ethics can be left to another discussion.

Or if you must share your opinion, please do so while citing a peer-reviewed article from a scientific journal.
Well, if ethics be damned, you can get one of these REAL CHEAP!!!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1505205

12 posts |