Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Neilyb on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:37 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
We are looking at visiting Sri Lanka in April for the Easter break and wonder if anyone here has any experience with travel/safari/wildlife possibilities. Also whether it is worth taking my large tele or my 100-400 II? Landscape lens will of course be in the bag.

Thanks.

by kent downing on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:07 am
kent downing
Forum Contributor
Hi Neilyb,
I am considering a similar photo trip in the future to Sri Lanka too. Lots of great wildlife and bird photo opportunities, plus beautiful beaches for relaxing.
Try "Walk with Jith" company. http://walkwithjith.com/
The name was provided to me by the owners (and keen birders) of the Red Mill B&B in Daintree NP, Queensland, Australia. They travelled with Jith a few years back and were quite impressed. Hope this helps you. Please send me a note regarding your experience once you return.
Thanks and all the best.
Cheers !!
Kent

by Neilyb on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:03 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Will do, many thanks!!

by Neilyb on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:05 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
kent downing wrote:Hi Neilyb,
I am considering a similar photo trip in the future to Sri Lanka too. Lots of great wildlife and bird photo opportunities, plus beautiful beaches for relaxing.
Try "Walk with Jith" company. http://walkwithjith.com/
The name was provided to me by the owners (and keen birders) of the Red Mill B&B in Daintree NP, Queensland, Australia. They travelled with Jith a few years back and were quite impressed. Hope this helps you. Please send me a note regarding your experience once you return.
Thanks and all the best.
Cheers !!
Kent

As it was mainly a family trip we booked a driver and hotels through an agency (works out cheaper than booking a driver and then hotels separately!) Our driver was very friendly, curteous,safe and flexible. Let me know if you need more info. Glad I was not driving, it is like the Wacky Races... not as bad as India though.

On the wildlife front we did get some drives in Uda Walawe (mainly elephants but plenty of other stuff) and Yala (saw four leopards but not really photographically viable). Plents of birds though. I had already booked a jeep for Yala but in Uda Walawe our driver arranged it for us (all the drivers are well connected).

I would love to go back on a wildlife/landscape trip, the country is gorgeous.

4 posts |