Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by nc_killie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:29 pm
nc_killie
Forum Contributor
I will be in Minneapolis with a colleague in late April and will have a day free to do some bird photography. Is there anywhere that people would recommend. We would prefer somewhere where a 100-400mm lens would suffice due to business committments.
Any help / guidance would be approeciated.

Thanks in advance

John

by LeOrmand on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 pm
LeOrmand
Forum Contributor
Hey - Minneapolis is a great place so you got that going for you!  I grew up there and was visiting a few years ago for my 30th at the end of April.  Unfortunately the weather was bonkers (as it often is in Minnesota, even in April/May).  When we arrived all of the lakes were frozen and there were some areas that still had snow.  We had a day that was 70* and a day that was 30*.  The day after we flew home it snowed like 10". 

The point of this is that spring comes VERY late in that area.  Where most places in the country (especially on the coasts) will be bursting with life, green foliage and blooming flowers, Minneapolis will be quite drab (note that this could not be true if they have an exceptionally mild April)

When I was there I drove to quite a few places that I knew of looking for some wildlife and unfortunately came up pretty empty.  All of that being said, here are some places to check out (assuming you have access to a vehicle):

Roberts Bird Sanctuary (north side of Lake Harriet - there's a walking trail in the wetlands)
Woodlake Nature Center and Richfield Lake Park (Richfield - just west of the MPLS Airport)
Minnehaha Falls (southeast Minneapolis - adjacent to the Mississippi)
Theodore Worth Parkway which extends from the "Lakes" in Minneapolis up to Robbinsdale (adjacent to North Minneapolis).  There are many walking trails, ponds, lakes creeks etc.  It's a great drive as well.  
Clifton E. French Park (though it's quite big and a bit out of the way in Plymouth Mn (west of Minneapolis)

That pretty much covers it for immediately in Minneapolis or very close suburbs.  Best of luck if you go!!! 
@JRookphotos on Instagram 

by aolander on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
There is the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, also.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Minnesota_Valley/
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by nc_killie on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 am
nc_killie
Forum Contributor
aolander wrote:There is the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, also.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Minnesota_Valley/
Thanks for the guidance! Much appreciated

John

4 posts |