Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Kim on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:25 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
I was wondering how useful back button focusing is in nature photography and how do people use it in general?

I shoot with a Nikon D7200 for birds and the D750 for all else. Neither camera has a dedicated AF -ON button but the AE/AF button can be configured to perform as an AF on button. Both cameras have User settings 1 & 2 so I can save the setup to easily switch between shutter focus and back button focus.

As I understand it you need to put the camera in Continuous focus mode set to release and the camera then allows you to keep the finger on the button for continuous focus and remove the finger to lock focus. I use it on my D750 to shoot pets and kids parties etc and it works well, plus having exposure separated from focus gives the opportunity to half press the shutter to lock exposure on the back ground and then separately lock focus on the subject so that I have good control etc. Works well with flash too.

For shooting wildlife and small birds I am giving it a go at the moment as it uses less battery to drive the VR as it is only engaged when you fully press the shutter to take the shot. So far I have mixed results and I can see the range finder hunting after I lock focus on birds. Is this normal or is it a technique thing on my part? Given my physical limitations I may not be able to adjust my style to shoot using this method with a long lens handheld.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Everything you said is correct except the part about VR. Since VR takes some time to spin up, it is never decoupled from the focus button. So even if you have back button focus enabled and focus disabled from the shutter button, a half press of the shutter button still spins up the VR as it should. Otherwise the VR system would not have time to stabilize.

As you said, back button focus with the focus mode set to continuous gives you the best of both worlds - keep the button down for continuous AF or focus and release the button for focus lock. It also makes life easier if you are the type of shooter that sometimes focuses and recomposes.

by Kim on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:02 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the response EJ. It is true that VR is still on the focus button but I do believe it is less draining using the back button focus as you do not have your finger constantly on the focus button half pressing for focus all the time, that part is switched to the back button.

Beyond that what I really wanted to know about is the 'stuttering of the range finder after you lock focus'. Plus is it useful for bird photography?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yes in that regard it does use a little less energy.

Not sure what stuttering of the range finder means ;)

A lot of people do use it for bird photography and prefer to have focus separated from the shutter action.

by Kim on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:01 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
By stuttering on the range finder I mean when you have the arrows going back a forth in quick succession rather than the solid focus dot after you lock focus.

5 posts |