« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by calvin1calvin on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:26 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
Had my D500 and 200-500 lens attached on a shelf in my office which is where it stays when not in use.  My wife and I rescued a small kitten that is now approx. 4months old.  I was downstairs and heard a thud and when I went into the office I found the D500 on the carpet and the lens detached.  When I looked at the camera body I found the lens mount had been torn from the body and was still on the lens.  The 200-500 had part of the lens mount attached, some springs showing and one of the pins exposed.  Do not know if either is repairable but know they will not be under warranty.  This was my fault because even though I normally keep the camera and lens attached and stored in this area, I should have known better with a feisty kitten in the house and removed my camera and lens and put them in my bag.  My office is just a bedroom and is never closed.  Don't let this happen to you.  Expecting a costly repair.  

by Scott B on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:39 pm
Scott B
Forum Contributor
I think it will be repairable and it may be less than you think. I have always assumed the life time cost of a dog to be about half that of a cat and in both cases it is best no to think of them in terms of cost.

by calvin1calvin on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:44 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Cameras and lenses can be replaced but dogs and cats cannot. I was mad but share the blame for leaving it on the shelf. I was planning to order a second D500 and this just gives me a good reason to go do it. Can't say that for the lens. Nikon estimate on the lens is 387. They have to look at the camera body prior to giving an estimate.

by dougc on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:34 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
Sorry to hear about your problem. This may be the first time Nikon claims "impact damage" and it actually happened!

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:33 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hi

Very sorry about your damage.  This will help you I think:

1.  I am always one to be criticizing Nikon Melville service department.   But I can misjudge and also jump to conclusions.   Summer 2016 I was at the carry-on ramp finishing one of my loon outings.  I had just put the D500/80-400 back in its case with the lens hood reversed on it.   As I moved gear around and prepared to wheel the canoe up to the truck,  I looked down the lake and saw an immature Bald Eagle heading right at me and low.  An adult here would not do this.  This bird was naive.  It was several hundred yards away still.  I scurried to the case and pulled out the rig.  Well, I already knew that there was damage to the tiny channels the hood rotates into as it comes to a stop and locks.    I had told Nikon about it and it was due to be headed back to them......after the loons left the freshwater basin for the ocean and I was done with my loon work for the season.  I also, already knew that when the lens hood was locked on in the reverse position, it had become insanely difficult to take off; i.e. I made a mistake that morning of reversing it and locking it back onto the lens.  By now the eagle had passed over me and was several hundreds down the slough when it turned and headed back up to where I might get a low shot.  I looked at that young eagle as I desperately fought to get that hood off.  I kept applying more pressure and wriggling it.  It just would not come off.  I was fed up with the problem so I pulled on it as hard as I could.  Suddenly, the entire plastic ring with the rubber face that sits in front of the objective lens......came off into my hand!  (LOL).  

The lens had to go back immediately now, because there was no way for me to now protect that objective element. In a letter I told Nikon this same story above.  It was my fault.   I had already asked them in the previous week to please make sure they had that piece in stock before I sent the lens.   NOPE!  They said that they had to have the lens to ascertain that this was the problem.  Well now it had to go back....now.  I sent it back and they gave me a price of $470.  I gave them my card number...authorizing the repair.  Then I waited and waited.....for almost a month.......while they waited for the part that I had previously asked them to have in stock before I sent the lens to them!  I did not ask; I pleaded with them to have it in stock.  

In that interim I called and complained vehemently that I had already asked them to have the part in stock (yes, it turned out to be the same piece that the notches were machined into).  Forgot to say that I used this opportunity to rent the 200-500 and loved it.  

The take away is that they sent the repaired lens back to me and charged me just $325.  

2.  Regarding  putting your lens up on a shelf:  Because of the force of gravity,  I never place any lens/dslr up in an area where it can become dislodged and fall.  
I always place this expensive stuff on the floor, because if it is there, it is impossible to be dropped.    

3.  Please try to not worry, because in the end Nikon will repair your lens and you will be happy again.  :)

by calvin1calvin on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:06 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Since I am West of the Mississippi, my repairs go to LA. Have never had any problem with repairs or parts but due to the extensive damage to both the camera and lens I am not expecting a quick turnaround. I am going to purchase another body since we have migrating hawks in our area and I will use my 80-400. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the repairs. I now have all my gear in the camera bags and nothing on the cabinets.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
calvin1calvin wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience with me.  Since I am West of the Mississippi, my repairs go to LA.  Have never had any problem with repairs or parts but due to the extensive damage to both the camera and lens I am not expecting a quick turnaround.  I am going to purchase another body since we have migrating hawks in our area and I will use my 80-400.  I am keeping my fingers crossed on the repairs.  I now have all my gear in the camera bags and nothing on the cabinets.
It is definitely repairable - they see much worse than what you described every day but it will be expensive - expect over $1000 to fix both.

by calvin1calvin on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
My camera and lens are repaired and shipped. Total cost for both was 750.52. On the bright side, all my camera gear is covered under a separate itemized items insurance policy issued by State Farm and they paid for all the repairs with no deductible and no hassles. My agent said it was covered and wrote a check for th repairs in his office. I never expected that to happen.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:14 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Less than I thought which is very good news :)

by Karl Egressy on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:58 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Most recently I kept a camera, lens and a flash attached on a self, valued at about $6000 at new price, so it would be handy when one of my cats would pose.
Based on your experience, I will never do it again. Thanks for sharing.
Glad that your cost was covered by the insurance company.

by Robert on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:59 am
Robert
Forum Contributor
calvin1calvin wrote:My camera and lens are repaired and shipped.  Total cost for both was 750.52.  On the bright side, all my camera gear is covered under a separate itemized items insurance policy issued by State Farm and they paid for all the repairs with no deductible and no hassles.  My agent said it was covered and wrote a check for th repairs in his office.  I never expected that to happen.
My experience with State Farm has been the same. Easiest claims I ever made and received payment for on anything. On both auto and camera equipment.

by photoman4343 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:08 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I have gotten sloppy too when using and traveling with my 500nn f4 attached to my Nikon DSLR. I usually just set it on the passenger seat. That exposes it to falling on the floor if I were to stop suddenly. I think I have found an easy solution. We needed a new laundry basket so my wife had be go and get a new one. She likes the one that is rectangular in shape and comes in about two or three sizes. I am betting I can get another one for the passenger seat and just place the lens and camera rig in it with some added support. I know I should detach the camera from the lens to be super safe.

Anybody else have some system that works?

Joe
Joe Smith

by Robert on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:12 am
Robert
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:I have gotten sloppy too when using and traveling with my 500nn f4 attached to my Nikon DSLR. I usually just set it on the passenger seat. That exposes it to falling on the floor if I were to stop suddenly. I think I have found an easy solution. We needed a new laundry basket so my wife had be go and get a new one. She likes the one that is rectangular in shape and comes in about two or three sizes. I am betting I can get another one for the passenger seat and just place the lens and camera rig in it with some added support. I know I should detach the camera from the lens to be super safe.

Anybody else have some system that works?

Joe
Wrap it up in the seat belts & buckled in for the ride.

13 posts |