« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:45 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Receivedthis a few minutes ago.

Following is a copy/paste of the opening statement:

It’s happened again: A wolf was brutally killed in Oregon, and we need your help to catch the killer. OR-28, a new mother, was found dead in the Fremont-Winema National Forest near Summer Lake, Ore. Her family is shattered and her young pup and mate – a male who wandered alone for four years before he found her – are left to fend for themselves.

Center for Biological Diversity added their $10,000 reward to the USFWS's $5000 reward.  

These rewards are proof that the line is drawn.  This is serious stuff.  If found, the perpetrator(s) will face federal charges.

Thank you USFWS!  Thank you CBD!

Considering that this is your home state ...... What say you Mike ?  

by Mike in O on Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:52 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
A lot of Bubbas are terrified of the wild and killing is their answer to predators. This pack is well known and many people have seen them along Hwy. 31.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:25 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Thanks Mike for that information. Thanks for the intuitive comment on Bubba.

by WDCarrier on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:59 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Even in a so-called "enlightened" state as Oregon there's just no cure for STUPID!
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by Bill Chambers on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:27 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
WDCarrier wrote:Even in a so-called "enlightened" state as Oregon there's just no cure for STUPID!

I think you may be correct.  You can overcome ignorance with education, but STUPIDITY and ARROGANCE are much harder to overcome.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by dougc on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:45 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
As usual, quick to blame, unable to prove. Not one of you knows who did this yet you are pointing fingers before the first fact has been brought to light.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:23 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yup, they are jumping to conclusions. I just googled "how was Oregon wolf killed October 2016". The articles use the word "shot".

Now last time I knew, the following was true:

1. Guns do not go off by themselves.

2. If a person is walking through the woods with a gun, shoots and kills something.......that person is a hunter and that hunter killed the animal.

3. All hunters are part of a group called...well....hunters.

So, if the wolf was actually shot, then it was a hunter that shot it. That's pretty basic rationale.

No, you are right that we do not know who shot it. And that is the reason for the $15,000 reward.

A necropsy has been done, though we will not know the results of it.......yet.

If I am wrong then correct me. I will admit it if I am wrong.

by dougc on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
Poachers, farmers and thrill killers are not hunters.

You claim to be a wildlife biologist but you seem to have no concept of what legal hunting is all about. You paint every instance with a very broad brush and immediately assume someone who is killing animals illegally is a "hunter". Those who do hunt legally and follow the rules take offense at your remarks.  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:Poachers, farmers and thrill killers are not hunters.

You claim to be a wildlife biologist

graduated 40 years ago; then worked some years as States WB and some as Federal :)

but you seem to have no concept of what legal hunting is all about. You paint every instance with a very broad brush and immediately assume someone who is killing animals illegally is a "hunter". Those who do hunt legally and follow the rules take offense at your remarks.  

I have the concept alright, and understand the biological reasoning behind the laws....and the laws are not always sound choices.

Oh, ok, I believe I finally caught on to what you are saying:  ......that all hunters are sportsmen (where did that label ever come from  LOL ?) ....and all hunters are obeying the laws ? 

If so, you are right; i.e. I do disagree with you (LOL).  BTW, in my mind, poachers and "thrill killers" are hunters.  If they are acting the part, then they are included in your group.  They are one of you. And that is what I was trying to get across to you in another post; i.e. we need hunters (such as you) who police their own.  I was hoping you would step up to the plate.  But you have that defensive attitude.    

In my field work, I have seen many "legal" hunters who were actually poaching.  
And I have caught a few.  I helped in the field one Sunday morning where a "legal"  hunter in a tree stand.......actually killed an immature, female endangered Florida Panther.   His "buddy" came to us and ratted on him.  I carried the poor cat out and put her in our cooler.  In one very selfish, egotistical moment, that poor animal's life was ended when they guy just could let her pass under him.  He had to shoot her.  And so she became nothing more than evidence....an endangered species!!!.  And that was done by one of your hunters.   So there goes your point.  

I do admit that the mindset of those hunters in Florida I worked with was worse (much worse) than the hunters I grew up with in Maine.

But I really must stop because this is not the place to tell such stories and i do feel a little embarrassed.  

I really do not want to pick on you or all hunters.   I guess I did not make a friend here. Sorry.

Just don't go painting a pretty picture of ALL hunters to me.  I know better and I guess you don't.   Also,  I did not say that all hunters are breaking the law.   And I am sure there are more good than bad, much, much more. 

We have learned the hard way to not simply trust what a man in the woods with a gun is saying.   You might be naive.  I am not. 

As before, you can have the last word.  I am trying to get away from these types of posts.  Sorry folks.  My fault.  I have other things I must take care of.

Robert King

9 posts |