« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by DOglesby on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:39 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Not good.  People like this need to be taught a lesson.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/864119402 ... ional-park
Cheers,
Doug

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:35 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
This is not a thing which concerns Natscapes, please refrain and stick to approved subjects (sorry I can't help it)

by DOglesby on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:31 am
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
I know you were being sarcastic but I will say that it does concern Naturescapes since it is a very desirable place to photograph. Selfishly speaking, I have a trip coming up there and I'm pretty concerned about whether it's now worth the huge ordeal that it is to drive out to the playa (it's a nightmare drive on 25 miles of heavily washboarded road with sharp rocks - so, a total roll of the dice as to whether a flat tire or two is gonna hit you and if it does, good luck with a cell phone!). I've made the drive once and it was well worth it (because I didn't get a flat!). Now? Don't know. I'm sure others have photography trips there they were either thinking about or have already scheduled. Hopefully what little in the way of rain it gets will help but the article cast an ominous tone. We'll see. The Racetrack is such a cool place. I'm just dumbfounded that some people actually get their jollies out of destroying things like this.
Cheers,
Doug

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:14 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
This is a constant problem in my area (central Oregon) of atv's and 4 wheelers going up to the mountain meadows and trashing them. It is permanent. The US Forest Service answer to this is to expand their areas for use (see Ochoco ATV route proposal). There is a licence fee that the government agencies want to tap into and say how they are expanding recreational use. I will get off my soap box now and hope a rain will help restore the playa.

by Ed Cordes on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:08 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Sometimes people suck. This is one of those times.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by DOglesby on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:07 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Ed Cordes wrote:Sometimes people suck.  This is one of those times.

Agree completely.
Cheers,
Doug

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:30 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hey Mike, how are ya ?

You can piss me off and then make me laugh....almost all at once.

That is the Forest Service for you Mike. Isn't that the same agency that manages massive clear cuttings along Alaska's panhandle? Yup.

That is part of the 350 million acres of Alaska that we thought we were setting aside as wilderness back when we worked on the Alaskan Native Lands Settlement Act in the 80's. We were wrong. Such is the Forest Service.

The National Park Service is different. They will not tolerate vandalism of any national park. I'll bet on it. :)

Have a good day Mike.

Your Friend.....
Robert :)

7 posts |