Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:57 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
PBS has been airing a great show over the last couple of days called "Desert Dreams; Celebrating the 5 Seasons in the Sonoran Desert". It captures the essence of the Sonoran desert like no other program I have ever watched with great videography and stills. If you would like to know what life in the desert throughout the year is like, I think this captures it very nicely. If I can find a link, I will post it. Meanwhile, check your local PBS stations. Around here, we have 3 different PBS channels over the air.
Here's a link to a story about it:

https://www.azpm.org/s/14727-the-five-s ... an-desert/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hey, I've spent 88 seasons in the Sonoran Desert :D ;)

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
That may be true, but you don't show us as many images as we can see here in an hour on PBS! It's too bad that so many people think of the desert as desolate when it's so full of life. I, personally, love the desert near Tucson in the springtime

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I was just making a joke ;)

by Brian Stirling on Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:38 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
Living near SLC and being close to the desert I can say that I absolutely love the great open expanse of the desert.  There's something quite wonderful about being alone or nearly alone and even just driving is a joy.

One of the things I find very interesting is the high number of tourists, particularly from France and Germany, that seem to populate the southwest.  A decade ago I was riding my motorcycle on 89A near the Vermilion Cliffs area and was making the climb toward the north entrance of the GC when I stopped to take some pictures of the Vermilion Cliffs from a turnoff.  When I pulled off there were about 20-30 guys riding Harley's and as I was taking pics I noticed they were speaking French.  So, I go over and talked to them a bit and discovered that they were in fact from France and were all friends or friends of friends and planned the trip to the desert southwest for some years -- they were having a blast.

Brian

'

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:02 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I was just teasing you, E.J. for showing us the rest of the world, but seldom posting images of the Sonoran desert in your area. I'm the same way about Santa Fe. I see great images from here taken by others, but I take all the sights for granted and seldom photograph or post them. I focus on other areas. The sights in this show are a great showcase of the unique life of the Sonoran desert for those unfamiliar with it. I still want to see the wild horses there and photograph them.

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:I was just teasing you, E.J. for showing us the rest of the world, but seldom posting images of the Sonoran desert in your area...

Joe
I've posted 8 photos taken in the Sonoran Desert in 2015 on NSN but many more than that on my FB page ;)
But yes, we do tend to pay less attention to our own backyard than exotic other locales :D

by pleverington on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:45 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Living in Tucson for a few years I discovered the exact same thing mentioned already that the "desert" is anything but. I saw more wildlife there than I had anywhere else I had ever been up to that point. That's what was so amazing.The Sonora certainly is not a desert by definition and meanings of the word. Way different than say the Sahara...Truly one could spend all their life photographing that area and never run out of subject..

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Fweymouth on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:23 am
Fweymouth
Forum Contributor
I will have to check it out. My wife and I moved to Tucson a few years ago and I can't get enough of the desert!
Fred Weymouth Photography
www.FredWeymouth.com
Tucson, Arizona

by Brian Stirling on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:20 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
In fairness there are some pretty big negatives about the desert and top of that list is the ridiculous heat!   I lived in Vegas for a year and that was pretty bad but Phoenix is even worse -- I have no idea how one can live in that for years.  The 5 months from November through March are wonderful, but having to deal with daily highs in the summer near 115F isn't my idea of fun.

But, living in SLC means the summer temps are a good 15-20F less than Phoenix and the tolerable season is more like 9 months versus 5 in Phoenix.  Interestingly, you only need to drive about 150 north of Phoenix as Flagstaff is on average about 25-30F less than Phoenix.  OTH, Flagstaff get over 100 inches of snow per year.

Brian

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:49 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
During repressive heat, if I have the option, I will be out and about more when the wildlife is...from crepuscular through nocturnal hours.  

Have to check that PBS website.  Thank you.

11 posts |