All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by leebarlow on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:28 am
leebarlow
Forum Contributor
Hello all...
I'm heading down to florida in the beginning of november and was wondering where would be good to go for birds/reptiles.
I will be staying in the orlando/lakeland area.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks 
Lee Barlow
Victoria bc

by Dave Courtenay on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:51 pm
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
Great time to see manatees at the crystal river, fort de Soto is normally good
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

by George DeCamp on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:21 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Try Blackpoint Drive, Merritt Island;

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Merritt_Islan ... .html.aspx

Actually I should be there around the 3rd for a day or so. Also you can try Viera Wetlands;

http://www.brevardcounty.us/NaturalReso ... raWetlands

by leebarlow on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:43 am
leebarlow
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the location information. Will be arriving in Orlando November 2nd (late). And will be pretty excited to get out and fill up some memory cards!
Lee Barlow
Victoria bc
www.leebarlow.smugmug.com

by brogala on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:38 pm
brogala
Lifetime Member
Member #:00379
The Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland is worth checking out. As with most birding locations what you will find there varies but I've always been able to find a few good subjects and at other times it is absolutely great.  I should note that I have not been there in November.

Lake Morton, just North of Circle B Bar can also be worthwhile.  Again, I only been there in Feb and March so I have no idea what you may find in November.  

November is much too early for Gatorland but if happen to be in the area March thru May, it is terrific.

If you do go to Viera or Merritt you should probably check out the Helen & Allan Cruickshank Sanctuary.  The chances of seeing Scrub Jays is very high.  We have been there several times and have always seen them.  Take exit 195 off route 95 and go east.

If you are in the area on a Saturday you may want to try the The Avian Reconditioning Center at 323 W Lester Rd, Apopka, FL 32712.  They display many raptors during the day and last year they had two Harris or Coopers hawks that put on a great flying display in the afternoon.

If in Orlands, keep an eye open for the 8 ft King Cobra that's loose.

If you would like additional information let me know.
Bill

by flygirl on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:45 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
November is still too early for most activity, in fact, it is the quietest time here in Florida. As of right now the only two areas that would pretty much give you the best activity is Green Cay down in Boynton Beach and Ft Desoto Park in St. Petersburg. Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge and The Viera Wetlands are EXTREMELY hit or miss right now, in fact, I would not waste my time going to Merritt Island. Now starting in Mid December lots of things change.

by George DeCamp on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:11 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Although I agree with you Nancy, he is going to be there at that time not December or later. Boynton Beach is about a 3hr drive I think each way.

Both places I mention are certainly hit or miss as you said but hit it right and worth a hour drive especially if you will be in town anyway. Ft Desoto is one of my favorite places but about a 2hr drive ballpark each way. So depends on how much time you have.

Of course sometimes rains shut down Merritt Island as well as launches from Cape Canaveral so keep that in mind as well.

I will be at Merritt Island on Nov 3 or 4th in the AM, maybe both. Will be in the area then so I will for sure make the trip. I will also be there in early February for a little more time and I know the bird population is better then!

Not too sure about November but if you want to see Manatees check out Blue Spring State Park. It could be too early but all depends on temperatures. Worth asking about when you get close to going to see if any activity. I was there last February and it was like a Manatee Woodstock! There were hundreds of them in plain view for all to see. 

http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/map/bluespring/

Good luck on your trip!!

7 posts |