Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Ed1946 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:14 am
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
Just returned from a trip to Banff Canada flying in and out of Calgary airport.  On this trip my photogear was flagged by their security scan.  No problem really but I've had them want to check out some service tools (which I now put in the checked bag).  This the inspecting agent got out a swab wand and wiped down both my Nikon D7100 and D810 camera bodies.  Not the 3 lenses, flash unit but just the camera bodies.  Of course there was no findings.  I do not say a word to them other than thank you.  The agent did not power up the cameras.  Only the swab wipe.  I then encountered a flight departure delay and went back to ask another agent what was the concern. He was courteous and told me that due to the density of the camera bodies the inspecting agent monitoring the scanner could no determine whether or not there is an issue.  So a follow-up check was done.  This is a first for me.  It's always fun to travel with photo gear. On another note I did travel on United with a guru gear 32L bag.  Made it  easily as carry-on in the over head.  Flew on Airbus 320 and Boing 737-800.  I checked the United website about carry-on limits for those planes and the new regs were not posted there.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What new United regs?

As for the Gura Gear 32L, it will fit in any jet powered airliner in the world except some older ERJ 135/145 and CRJ 200 aircraft and even with those, it will fit in some.

by lelouarn on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:22 pm
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
My camera gear gets almost always "swiped" at Munich airport. It seems to be standard procedure, if you have a lot of camera gear. The security guys told me that lenses have lead in them, and depending how they lay in the bag, they may not see through them with the X-ray machine. The more lenses in a bag, the more chances that at least one of them is in an unfavorable position.

by Terence P. Brashear on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:01 pm
Terence P. Brashear
Forum Contributor
Member #:00600
Anytime I flew out of Minneapolis they would pull me aside and wipe the camera bodies. I got used to it and expect it.
Terence P. Brashear
San Diego, CA
http://www.naturepixels.com
NSN #600

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
lelouarn wrote:My camera gear gets almost always "swiped" at Munich airport. It seems to be standard procedure, if you have a lot of camera gear. The security guys told me that lenses have lead in them, and depending how they lay in the bag, they may not see through them with the X-ray machine. The more lenses in a bag, the more chances that at least one of them is in an unfavorable position.
No lenses made in the 21st century have lead in them.

by jrhoffman75 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 pm
jrhoffman75
Forum Contributor
I've been swiped several times. I always say "Thank you for being thorough."

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Filters and some lenses can still be made with lead:

http://optics.org/indepth/2/7/3

There has been a bit of fighting for the use of lead in camera lenses, partly on behalf of Zeiss. They want to have the ability to produce replacement elements for older lenses that need repair, and it looks like Schott is in the mix as well:

http://rohs.exemptions.oeko.info/filead ... _Final.pdf

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Ed1946 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 pm
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
Sorry EJ, I said reg in my posting but I am not really sure if the recent information about the airlines going to a reduced carryon size is a proposed regulation or policy. I did not mean to imply that it was a United reg. I was just sharing my recent experience. I am not a frequent airline international traveler. Only about once or twice a year. I had never had my bag checked for chemical traces before. I also carry-on binoculars and a spotting scope and had no issues with them either. The agent I spoke with only spoke of the camera bodies being seen as a large dense area and they want to verify that there is nothing illegal or hazardous being taken on board the plane. I guess they can see thru the barrels of large lenses to tell how they are constructed. It may also depend on the security agents experience in reading the screens. It is job (viewing luggage X-rays everyday) I would not be able to endure.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You are referring to the IATA proposed regulation which they then pulled after US carriers refused to comply but several major international carriers dis switch to that proposed standard.

by Greg Downing on Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:09 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
What you experienced is typical - I've been through it dozens of times and there is no cause for alarm.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

10 posts |