All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Steve Cirone on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:59 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Standard procedure to have an "about" or a "bio" page on one's website.  Yet I always felt silly tooting my own horn or trying to sum myself up in a few paragraphs.  So often it is: " I got a Brownie camera at age 5," "I won a ton of awards in contests," "I have an advanced degree," etc.  Even more odd is the omniscient third person narrative where the photographer refers to him/herself as "he" or "she," even though it is really "me." 

A few minutes ago I happened onto this fellow NSNer's bio on his website and thought, "that's it, that's what I have been trying to say!"  I hope Brad Mangas' website is as inspirational for you as it was for me.  Here is the link: http://www.bradmangasphoto.com/about

Thanks, Brad.  You have a way with words. 

Cheers,
Steve Cirone

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Andrew Kandel on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:22 am
Andrew Kandel
Forum Contributor
Indeed. Well done.
[url=http://www.andrewkandel.com/]Website[/url] - [url=http://wherebuffaloroam.wordpress.com/]Blog[/url] - [url=https://plus.google.com/112207995176022333771/posts]Google+[/url]

by stevenmajor on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:59 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
For me I guess it's all about the work, I think he rambles on somewhat needlessly. Image wise, he has, in no short supply, many gems. Unfortunately, they are spread out in many different galleries, you have to go looking for them.
I prefer sites that include a "favorites" or "best of" gallery. Learning what a photographer thinks is their best work says a lot to me about the person behind the camera. It also creates a visual punch / wow factor, to keep the viewer engaged, and encourages them to view the other galleries on the site. By providing a sweet appetizer, they may stick around for the meal. Bon appetit...and a happy safe 4th.

by bradmangas on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:38 am
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Thank you Steve C. I appreciate the sentiment very much. I have worked, reworked, and reworked an "About" over the years and I am sure I will keep working on it in the future. I have mentioned my goal is to always be changing for the better. As we age our own perception of ourselves will also change. It is not easy to be open and honest when writing about ones self. Most just want to pat themselves on the back. What we should be trying to do is connect in someway with the reader which requires a glimpse into ourselves from somewhat outside of ourselves, if that makes sense. I have found there are specific moments when I am able to put down in words almost exactly how I feel at the time. I never know when that will be and it typically does not last long.

I always read the About page on a photographers site and you are right when you mention tooting ones own horn. I believe that is the single worst thing an artist can do. Art is not about the artist, it is about the art the artist creates. If they are honest with themselves that should translate to their art. Too many people want what they do to be about them. You know the "look at me" bunch. I try to avoid that like a plague but I know it slips in. I only hope I avoid it enough. Thank you again.

Stevenmajor: You are right, I do ramble needlessly as I believe I am about to again. As I have written, explain I will, justify I will not. I do try to be sincere about what I write, sometimes it translate to the written word well, sometimes it does not. I will be the first to admit I am not a writer, or possibly since I write maybe that makes me one. I do enjoy it, it seems to be a way of expression that is different from photography or even speaking. Honestly I probably shouldn't even attempt it, but I do since it is part of putting oneself out there in hopes of connecting with others. I could keep all my photographs to myself and not share them and not write much of anything but that isn't who I have become over the years of involvement in photography at least on a serious level. All I can really do is try my best and except the consequences. In no way do I take your comment negatively, as a matter of fact I appreciate them every bit as much as any positive comment and here is why. If my head swells due to praise I am allowing myself to be influenced by something or someone that is separate from myself and my work, the same is true with any negative connotations. I must take them both for what they are. An opinion of another. I must respect them both equally to maintain my own self awareness and to produce the work I want to produce with a minimum or outside influences. 

I have purposely chosen to not have a "Best Of" or "Favorites" gallery as well, for one simple reason. There really are no such things in my mind, but if there were who's favorites should I include? Mine, customers, an array of viewers? It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't want a specific group of photographs to be a deciding factor of who I am, remember this isn't supposed to be about me. I do understand what you mean about keeping viewers engaged, but the 'wow' factors you mention are always short lived, like a spectacular ending to a fireworks show then, it is gone and disappointment lingers. If there truly are "Best Of's" they will stand the test of time. I'm really not in any hurry to prove such things. Viewer engagement is important you are very right, that can take place in many ways besides others influences. I know I take a different approach to how I chose to share and offer my work. My most successful piece as far as sales goes would be in a favorites gallery if I had such a thing. The second most successful piece over the last two years I almost deleted (obviously not one of my favorites) right before multiple very large canvas gallery wraps were purchased by a national art dealer for use in multiple healthcare facilities throughout the Country. So what do I know when it comes to favorites. I am a photographer not an art curator, designer, or decorator. They are all my favorites yet, they are all not good enough because I am not good enough. It really isn't about what I think are my favorites because as I keep saying, it is not about me.

I do apologies for the needless rambling. 

by Vivek on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:59 am
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Brad, that was refreshing if a bit long. Most of the time, I see something on the lines of when the first camera was acquired etc. seems fairly irrelevant. What is relevant is the work. I also find the third person narrative kind of amusing - a version of the "royal" "we" :-)
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

5 posts |