Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Jon Swanson on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:23 pm
Jon Swanson
Forum Contributor
We have a trip to Iceland planned the last two weeks of June and we are firming up our itinerary.  We have a question regarding other places to visit.  We were wondering if there is something (location, activity) that you visited that is a must see other than the obvious bird cliffs, major waterfalls and geothermal?  Thanks!

by pdschu on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:18 am
pdschu
Forum Contributor
Flatey Island
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
in order to get an idea what all is available and what appeals most to you, take a look at the link below. It's an amazing country with so many different places that are a potential area for visiting:
http://www.ejphoto.com/iceland_page.htm

by lelouarn on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:14 am
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
Really nice galleries E.J. ! I am going to Iceland in June, so it's good to have a reference. Are most of the spots you have there accessible with a normal car ? Which places did you go with a 4x4 (if any) ?

by Jon Swanson on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:49 am
Jon Swanson
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ. I like the handy way you have the locations divided up. We know in two weeks we cannot hit everything but we have allowed extra days here and there just in case of weather or just having extra time to explore.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:54 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
lelouarn wrote:Really nice galleries E.J. ! I am going to Iceland in June, so it's good to have a reference. Are most of the spots you have there accessible with a normal car ? Which places did you go with a 4x4 (if any) ?
Virtually all accessible with a normal passenger car.

by John Spreitzer on Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm
John Spreitzer
Forum Contributor
I think the Landmannalaugar region is very beautiful and unique,and late June is a nice time to go and catch the lingering snow on the hillsides.
John

by lelouarn on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:40 am
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
Just came back from Iceland. A really beautiful country, with "interesting" weather (out of 10 days, I saw the sun on 3. And it rained every day, with a lot of foggy days / areas).

My highlights:

- The Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon (and the Fjallsárlón Glacier Lagoon just next to it, AND the black sand beach). Really cool Icebergs, I spent a two half days in the area, and it could have been much more. First day, there was a pretty heavy fog, so I could not see the mountains or glaciers at all. Second day was less foggy (but still no sun). The lack of sun was not really disturbing.

- Látrabjarg for Puffins. Had to change the position of the zooms limit switch to allow close focus :-) The birds are really tame, so you will get your close-ups.

- The east section of route 1 has some really really cool landscapes - if it's not too cloudy.

Now I think I have to go back some day, and go to see Landmannalaugar and the highlands - but I'll need a 4x4 for that...

by Jon Swanson on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:13 pm
Jon Swanson
Forum Contributor
The weather thing is funny. The whole two weeks we were there we had sun 12 of them. We only had clouds a couple days back in Reykavik. We did the Glacial Lagoon and that was one of our favorites. Also lots of Jaegers and Skuas nesting around there as well.

We hit the Latrabjarg cliffs and it is almost like cheating. LOL! We were there two days. It is 8km long I think and you can get away from the people there.

We also went into the volcano. Cannot remember where but not far from Reykavik. It was fantastic as well and worth the cost. Only 4-6k are allowed per year so it fills up quick.

Akuryeri was our base for a few days. North of there were great photo ops of villages and a cliff with Fullmars literally that you could touch. They crossed it all day long. We went all over from there before Patrekfjordur.

I could go back for two more weeks and still see so much more. It was a fun trip!

9 posts |