All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:06 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I've never been here and would like some feedback from anyone that has.  I suspect the northward migration period is already over and the bird counts from 2/17/15 appear to be a huge drop from just a week earlier.  However, the peak numbers this year are no where near the million plus numbers I've heard about.

So, specifically, when are the peak numbers for southward and northward migration?

Brian

by Mike in O on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:14 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I can't believe the government still calls it that derogatory term.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:14 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I was watching a PBS series called "Earth: a New Wild" when they showed a bit about the Squaw Creek NWR at the end of the show. Many of us think that Bosque is impressive, but the numbers of Snow Geese and Bald Eagles here are really impressive!!! Over a million Snow Geese and as many as 300 Bald Eagles, with a record number of eagles at 476 in 2001!

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Squaw_Creek/v ... visit.html

Waterfowl counts vary a lot, but check out the numbers for Feb. 10, 2015 here:

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Squaw_ ... 172015.pdf

The episode of Earth: a New Wild is #5 Water, found here:

http://www.pbs.org/earth-a-new-wild/episode-water/

The part about Squaw Creek NWR starts at about the 45:00 mark.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I guess I was writing this while you were posting yours:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 1&t=252909

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I merged the two ;)

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks, E.J.!
Joe

by jimbo on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:40 pm
jimbo
Forum Contributor
Brian Stirling wrote:I've never been here and would like some feedback from anyone that has.  I suspect the northward migration period is already over and the bird counts from 2/17/15 appear to be a huge drop from just a week earlier.  However, the peak numbers this year are no where near the million plus numbers I've heard about.

So, specifically, when are the peak numbers for southward and northward migration?

Brian

been going to squaw creek for about 8 years, I do not think one can speak to specific numbers and times.  we were there last January and there was well over a
million snow geese. this year also in Jan. hardly any.  Average over the years for eagles I would say that mid December to through January, seem to be the
peak. Swan lake NWR is not to far from squaw creek, when you see the number fall at one refuges it increases at the other.  I have seen the main pond, full and
at times almost empty.  When the wetlands freeze over the population of everything seems to go down.  Squaw creek gives info on amount of wetlands frozen.
In that area you can have decent weather one week and very cold the next.  I think the birds respond to the variation.  as the duck and goose population varies, I see a direct correlation of eagle population varying.  I do thank that the best average times would be from mid December to mid January.  If you have questions about the area itself, I am very familiar with it and perhaps help further.

by Mark Boranyak on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:44 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
I am not a bird photographer, but since Sqaw Creek is less than two hours away, a friend of mine and I paid it a couple of visits.

One one trip in November several years ago,  I think I could safely say there were hundreds of thousands of snow geese. It was amazing.

I showed a photo I took on that trip to a friend who has been to Bosque multiple times and she said something to the effect that,"I've never seen that many birds together at one time in my life".

It's a midwest gem.

Mark

by lfrogge on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:57 am
lfrogge
Forum Contributor
We go back to Missouri every year for Thanksgiving. The week before we go the Squaw Creek & I have made images of thousands of geese blasting off. The eagles there fly through them & you can get blast-offs through out the day. Skies for landscapes are outstanding too. I've not been to Bosque so can't compare. They have an eagles day shortly after that time but probably posted on their website. Not been there for the spring migration.

by Brian Stirling on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:I merged the two ;)
I guess I must have missed the other thread on this...

Anyway, I think I'll make a trip one day soon.  At 950 miles it's not all that far so perhaps I'll drive there.

Can someone recommend a place to stay?

Brian

by LauraJ on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:18 pm
LauraJ
Forum Contributor
It varies from year to year depending on the temperatures. This year has been colder than normal for late Feb. In 2013 the snow geese had huge numbers about 2-17 when I was there. Last year I went on 3-9. I think/hope to see them in March.

by LauraJ on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:40 pm
LauraJ
Forum Contributor
St. Joseph, Mo is about 1/2 hr away will have the best choice. Mound City, Mo is the closest and has a couple, Falls City, Ne is not to far away and has a few. There is a motel at the I-29 exit for Squaw Creek. I would not stay there

by jimbo on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:31 pm
jimbo
Forum Contributor
Brian Stirling wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I merged the two ;)
I guess I must have missed the other thread on this...

Anyway, I think I'll make a trip one day soon.  At 950 miles it's not all that far so perhaps I'll drive there.

Can someone recommend a place to stay?

Brian

AT mound city is Audrey's motel, and Motel 8, if waterfowl season is going on, get reservations.  Audrey's caters to hunters special rooms for hunter with dogs,
other rooms of course,  Motel 8 is a good stay, only neg. is McDonalds sets right behinds it  McDonalds and parking lot is level with 2nd floor of Motel. still good.
the motel that LauraJ speaks of,  exit to refuge is a  truck stop.  I agree with her.  At falls city nebr. Have stayed at the vision inn motel.  family owned. nice
place and only about twenty minutes away from the refuge.   Big lake state park is closed at this time, but is a option during spring when they open.
notice on 2/10 the count was 167,00 geese. on2/17   635 geese with 98 percent of wetland frozen,  that fluctuation is normal and I believe it is tied to the amount of
wetlands frozen, large numbers of geese need open water, to rest and protect them from predation.  Whatever is there, I think you will like the place and the area.
Safe travels

by palmer1076 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:03 pm
palmer1076
Forum Contributor
I was at Squaw Creek NWR on March 22 last year (2014). There were several 100,000s of Snow Geese on the refuge and I saw an estimated 1,000,000 Snow Geese on Thanksgiving several years ago.

The best thing to do is check the waterfowl count on the website and plan accordingly.

I have stayed at the Motel and eaten at the Truck Stop and at the SCNWR exit and they are OK but there are fancier motels and restaurants in St. Joseph.

by Brian Stirling on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
So, given this years weather conditions is it safe to assume that migration will be later and that the coming week or so may wind up being the high point? I have to believe there must be an end date and that that date must be pretty soon. Any idea what the latest date for peak counts might be?

Brian

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's a bit more info:

Snow Goose Migration at Squaw Creek NWR

https://www.facebook.com/squawcreeknwr

http://fowledreality.com/snow-goose-mig ... y-24-2015/

From what I've read, they may stay for two weeks. The weather this year seems to be different from the norm, though.

Joe

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Brian Stirling on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:04 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Thanks Joe, kind of looks like the numbers will be lower this year as the migration appears to be more spread out in time and space. I'm guessing that we might have decent numbers in the next couple weeks IF the ice turns to water but even if that happens the numbers are likely to be lower than normal.

Brian

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If you can stand the nonsense from "The Birds" in this video, it has a small bit of info from last year. I couldn't watch it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FN687C2rUA

There are others that should come up on the side of this one.

Joe

by Eagleman on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:39 am
Eagleman
Forum Contributor
I've been a frequent visitor to Squaw Creek for at least ten years or so, and the last two winters have been a disaster for the annual Snow Geese & Eagle arrival.

Both years have seen early and prolonged hard freezes to the marsh, and the Snow's just pass us by when the impoundment is 95-100% frozen. I really like Squaw Creek because of it's seasonal diversity... with the annual fly-in usually starting in late November, The large numbers of Snows & Eagles usually leave the area about the end of December.  Deer photography is fair to good year round, and the seasonal changes bring some great nature shots.

Here's hoping next November the Winter weather doesn't move in with some severity.

Bob  

by palmer1076 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:07 pm
palmer1076
Forum Contributor
I just checked he web site.
On Feb. 17 there were 18 snow geese.
On March 4, there were 90,022.

24 posts |