Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:20 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Two photographers got carried away pursuing a bald eagle in Anchorage, Alaska this week.  They ended up being stuck in mud and had to be rescued.  "According to KTUU-TV one of the men was freed with relative ease while it took more than 45 minutes (stuck up to waist) to unearth the other."  They were dug out as the tide was moving in.

Story.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/two-men-rescued-from-mudflats-after-attempting-to-photograph-an-eagle/30420/

Photo of the mud flats.
http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/men-taking-picture-of-eagle-get-stuck-in-mudflats/26691694

by Joerg Rockenberger on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:57 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
I have to admit that I got into a similar situation just last month. I wandered out into some mudflats at low tide with my rain boots - not chasing some bird but to get a different perspective on a commonly photographed subject in Pt. Reyes. And sure enough I got stuck with mud starting to flow into the top of my boots. It was before/around sunrise and not a soul in sight. At first, I wasn't overly concerned but more annoyed. But then I almost lost my balance trying to free myself. The realization that I easily might have been lying flat on my back in the mud - with little chance to free myself and an incoming tide - certainly gave me pause. Obviously, I made it out of there but that stuff is dangerous for sure. Lesson learned - hopefully...

Joerg

by LHays on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:37 pm
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
I've always stayed out of those mudflats.......I have a healthy respect for them. Not surprised that some really don't believe the dangers of them.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by DOglesby on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Glad they are ok so I now don't feel bad for enjoying more the video link on the same page of the bald eagle that stole a video camera and took a selfie. :-)
Cheers,
Doug

by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:43 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I don't have anything to compare it to, thankfully :-) Closest I came to being stuck in mud was at a place in Pickering near Toronto. Wanted to get closer to some Hudsonian Godwits. Had on rubber boots and tested each step before advancing and still found myself stuck in the mud. When that thick mud slops over your boots it is next to impossible to move let alone trying to lift your leg. Tried scooping the mud off the boot and think that just resulted in more mud taking the place of the mud I just scooped out. Visions of a very sunburnt and dehydrated me flashed before my eyes. Can't believe I allowed myself to get into this predicament in the first place. Eventually, lifting my foot out of the boot helped (it's easier to move your foot without the heavy rubber boots holding you down with all the mud on top of it). I learned my lesson and hopefully, never again. After looking at the photo of the mud flats in that Alaskan incident, I cannot imagine why anyone would even think about going out onto it in the first place.

PS. Joerg, that is one scary story. Glad you made it out safely.

by Tim Grams on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:44 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Getting stuck in the silty mud of Cook Inlet is actually a pretty common occurrence. Fishermen at the mouths of Ship Creek in Anchorage and in Bird Creek near Girdwood are the most frequent "victims." With most of the major rivers unloading huge loads of silt into Cook Inlet, combined with the second most extreme tides in the world and the cold water temperatures, it can quickly become a very dangerous situation. (Upper Cook Inlet tides are usually in the 25-30 foot range. Yeah, that's a 2 story house going under water twice a day.) The Anchorage fire department has equipment on hand specifically for extracting stuck fisherman from the very popular Ship Creek. Every few years an unfortunate soul is lost after getting stuck and then drown by the incoming tide.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

6 posts |