« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Jan Wegener on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 am
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00917
Hey guys,

I have been quite quiet for the last few months, because I have been working on redesigning my new website. I was really unhappy with my old one for a long time, but never found the right guy to help me build a new one. I wasn't able to do it myself and didn't like any of the "pre-made" websites available on the net. Finally I talked to Jacob Spendelow (tringa), who most people here will know, too, because I liked his website a lot and he offered to help me out.
After a lot of work we were finally able to put my new website alive. I am especially proud of the idea we had to make an Australian map out of my images on the front page. 
Design wise I wanted to keep it clean and simple, so that the images stand out.   
There's still many images to add to the website, but with more than 1500 pictures online already, people should have enough to look at for a while :)

Any feedback or error reports are highly appreciated. 

http://www.vogelfotografien.de

by Carl Crumley on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 am
Carl Crumley
Forum Contributor
I like it. It's very attractive and loads fast (I click off websites if they take more than a couple of seconds to load - typical impatient American!).

I like your "Taxonomic List" but I would prefer it was alphabetical so I could locate specific birds easier.

You should probably see if there's a way to disable "right click - save as" since you have fairly large images posted. The first one I tried was about 2 mb and would print nicely at 9x13. A quick use of the cloning tool in Photoshop to remove your watermark and I had a printable image. While disabling the right click function won't stop determined image thieves it will discourage the less knowledgeable and casual image takers. I like your small, unobtrusive signature and copyright down in the corner just the way it is so please don't use bigger, more intrusive watermarks as they would detract from being able to study the images for what they are.

Good job.

Carl (upstate New York)

by Jan Wegener on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:00 pm
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Hey Carl,

Thanks for your input. I personally find it dont like not to have the right click unavailable, as some use it for other things as well, like I do, too.
And as you said it does not really prevent anybody from stealing. I have come to the conclusion that when we post images on the Internet they will get stolen and that we have to life with it or stop posting. I wanna show my images in the best possible way, that's why I also only use my copyright in the corner. I see it more as an reminder than a prevention.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:38 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
If you don't like to disable right click, there is another method to prevent copying images off a website. Here is a link to a page that explains several methods (including the no-right-click). One of them is just placing a transparent image on top of the visible one. http://www.hypergurl.com/norightclick.html

I really like your use of the old Opel GT slogan, "Nur Fliegen ist schöner!"
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Colin Inman on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:55 pm
Colin Inman
Regional Moderator
Member #:00333
I like it too, the Australia map is clever.
My suggestion would be perhaps an option to break down the taxonomic list by continent ?

Oh and there's a cracking Hawfinch in the header at the top of the taxonomic list that isn't available in the actual taxonomic list.
Colin

by sam_su on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 am
sam_su
Forum Contributor
Hi guys,

I've just joined the forum, I'm glad to have found this topic. I'm a beginner but I'm working on a website, I have the same issue for the copyrights. Thanks for the info!

By the way, the australian map is a great idea ;)

Sam

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Hey Jan, your site looks great and your images are even better. Very nice setup. However, I too have to agree that the taxonomic listing, especially with it being worldwide, makes it VERY difficult to find a species. I would suggest that you have both a taxonomic list and an alphabetical list, and/or have a search engine for finding species.

by Jan Wegener on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 am
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Just added an alphabetic list to the site. Hope that improves your browsing experience :)
http://vogelfotografien.de/birds_alpha

8 posts |