Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 86 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
New site look great.  Not sure what it is, but today...right now...the site is painfully slow.  Often I have a number of tabs open in IE but the Naturescapes tab is locking up access to some of my other tabs.  I check the lights on the high-speed modem and doesn't look like much data if any is being downloaded so it must be the server or software on the other end.  Also got logged out automatically.  Early hiccups expected.

by CactusD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 am
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
Greg Downing wrote:Hmm that's an odd one - I just tested all galleries and can command click (open in new tab) without any issues on chrome, firefox and Safari. If it does not work for you is it both on the image thumbnail itself as well as the link in the gray title bar under each thumbnail? What about the other galleries?
Still having intermitttent problems with this.  Control-clicking the title bar works, but most of the time doing this on the thumnail brings up the copyright notice.
Thanks!
D
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by mvsneary on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:50 pm
mvsneary
Forum Contributor
Quick note to add my appreciaiton for all the hard work and to also offer a couple of observations.

I've noticed that if you draft the text for your post in an external editor (email, text editor...) and then copy/paste it into the post editor, it will appear to paste as plain text, but actually retains a bunch of tags that are then not translated. The solution for a user (which might be worth pointing out) is to highlight their text and click "remove formatting". That said, I wonder whether you can strip formatting when copying into the "Post a reply" text box?

And from a user experince, I had completely overlooked the announcements sections, until I realised (due to reference to the motif in the various forums) that it must be lurking somewhere. Not sure how to rasie the profile of this element, but others may well be overlooking it too.

Thanks again.

by crw816 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:19 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Greg,

Is it possible to get a "view your posts" link at the top of the site next to "edit profile" and "messages"?

It would be really nice to be able to quickly jump into topics and discussions that you have participated in without having to subscribe to the topic or go to edit profile to find it.

Thank you,
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by Greg Downing on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Chris, this link is at the very top of the forum index page (bottom right on the below screen shot) and when clicked will show all your forum and gallery posts. 

We didn't put this right in the header because of the space issue (and because their are other related links which are also displayed here) We also didn't put these links in the galleries in order to keep those less cluttered.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Landon Starnes on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm
Landon Starnes
Forum Contributor
It looks like the log in issue has been fixed, thank you!
Landon Starnes
Blog: [url]http://landonstarnesphotography.blogspot.com/[/url]

by crw816 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
Greg Downing wrote:Chris, this link is at the very top of the forum index page (bottom right on the below screen shot) and when clicked will show all your forum and gallery posts. 

We didn't put this right in the header because of the space issue (and because their are other related links which are also displayed here) We also didn't put these links in the galleries in order to keep those less cluttered.
Thanks Greg.  My eyes could not see that link.  This works just fine for me.
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by DMcLarty on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
Awesome work and a great upgrade. I would like to ask for a couple non minor things if they can be done, no rush and no problem if not able to do.

In the Portfolio section... as I link my portfolio from my website and use this as my entry point to NSN when I click on my link it goes to the portfolio but as I am always logged in (multiple computers and I pad) I also get the manage your portfolio menu over the big red frog.

is it possible to decrease the size of the big red frog image it seems to take allot of upper space on the portfolios main page :) ?

and instead of having the manage your portfolio overlay on the frog image can the the manage menue be added to the menu bar beside "Tips on creating..."  

thanks
doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by Joshua Clark on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 pm
Joshua Clark
Forum Contributor
I LOVE the new layout to this forum!! Great job by everyone that was involved. I love the large scale thumbnail previews in the various forums. Displays the vast amount of talent even better.
Joshua Clark

Follow me on Instagram!
Instagram

by Greg Downing on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:26 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
DMcLarty wrote:Awesome work and a great upgrade. I would like to ask for a couple non minor things if they can be done, no rush and no problem if not able to do.

In the Portfolio section... as I link my portfolio from my website and use this as my entry point to NSN when I click on my link it goes to the portfolio but as I am always logged in (multiple computers and I pad) I also get the manage your portfolio menu over the big red frog.

is it possible to decrease the size of the big red frog image it seems to take allot of upper space on the portfolios main page :) ?

and instead of having the manage your portfolio overlay on the frog image can the the manage menue be added to the menu bar beside "Tips on creating..."  

thanks
doug
Hey Doug,

We're working on this and will only have the big red frog on the opening page - it was not intended to be on other pages but we need to make some adjustments. We're moving to a new server today (I could be leasing a mercedes instead) so we'll work on this shortly.

Thanks!

Greg
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Morkel Erasmus on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 am
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
Quick question guys...

I size all my images to 1000px based on my website template/dimensions.
If I upload them here at 1000px, will the system/site automatically upscale them to 1024px or will they remain 1000px wide? It seems that those I've uploaded look less sharp than when I processed and saved them and I was wondering if there was some scaling involved when posting.
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by Greg Downing on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Morkel - there is no upsizing at all - if you upload them at 1000 they will remain 1000 for the lightbox pop up display - however all images are downsized for initial display (before you click them for larger viewing) which could explain a slight softening (again until you click the image to see the original size) - this was done for ease of surfing and to accomodate slower connections for those that are still using low speed access (they can choose not to click to enlarge).
Greg Downing

by Morkel Erasmus on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 am
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
aaaah thanks Greg
just clicked on an image and it was as if shells fell off my eyes :)
for interest' sake - what is the "pre-click" native resolution? Still 800px as per the old site?
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by Greg Downing on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:00 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
For horizontals the pre-click resolution is 950 wide - if you upload a 950 wide image it will not be downsized.

Can you tell me what image you're specifically referring to? The resize algorithm should not introduce noticeable softness and this is the first comment to the contrary we have received.
Greg Downing

by Morkel Erasmus on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 am
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
Sure thing Greg. I've seen it on my last 2 photos posted.

this one:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 9&t=227956

and even more on this one:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 3&t=228169
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by George DeCamp on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Was using my iPad today and tried to edit a message I posted, it would let me edit it but when I posted the edited version the old version showed up. So for some reason the edit function does not appear to save.

by Greg Downing on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
George,

We are still working out a few issues on mobile devices - the priority for these issues is lower than some other issues but they are getting close to nearing the top of the list. In the meantime mobile devices are at your own risk.
Greg Downing

by George DeCamp on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 pm
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
No problem Greg, just wanted to post the problem!! The site is awesome even with a couple quirks, kudos to all involved.

by Colin Inman on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:32 pm
Colin Inman
Regional Moderator
Member #:00333
Got another one for you to look at Greg, thumbnails in the regional chapters. Image posts from before the changeover to the new NSN have a thumbnail, but new image posts don't seem to generate thumbnails.

By the way those social networking links are really annoying on the ipad. Would love to see them moved to the top or bottom of the page.
Colin

by Greg Downing on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Working on that....thanks
Greg Downing

86 posts |