All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 86 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
That was EJ ;) and Ahh - learn something new every day :)

Thanks EJ!
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by photoman4343 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:43 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Greg, I like the new format. Congragulations. Viewing pages and posts is faster today than in previous visits--that is good news. However, today, I could not get the search function to complete a search while in Articles. Also, Google searches esult in broken links. Is that a consequence of the new format?

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by Morkel Erasmus on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 pm
Morkel Erasmus
Forum Contributor
Thanks Greg. My bad - should've read properly ;)

So does doing away with Image of the Year awards count from 2013 onward or is that inclusive of 2012's list of IOTW photos? I.e. will there thus be no IOTY for 2012 either?
Morkel Erasmus
www.morkelerasmus.com

by Greg Downing on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:05 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
No images of the year awards for 2012 images - sorry - however we will be doing something in February with the 2012 images of the week to recognize our favorites - we'll keep you posted :)
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Greg Downing on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:25 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
photoman4343 wrote:Greg, I like the new format. Congragulations.  Viewing pages and posts is faster today than in previous visits--that is good news. However, today, I could not get the search function to complete a search while in Articles. Also, Google searches esult in broken links. Is that a consequence of the new format?

Joe Smith
Joe,

If you want to search an article simply type your search term into the search field, click search and then click on article in the left column to see the results of only the articles containing your search terms. 

Also Google searches will result in some old page results until Google rebuilds their database (their bots have been indexing the site since we went live) 

Click "like" if this answered your questions :)
Greg Downing

by Hikin Mike on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 am
Hikin Mike
Forum Contributor
It's going to take a bit to get used to, but I like it. Two things, I also find the Social Media buttons on the right annoying and I have my signature turned on, but I don't see it. I posted a reply on another thread and I didn't see it.

EDIT: I see it now...LOL!
Mike Matenkosky
Images in the Backcountry | Facebook | Google+
"The heavens declare the glory of God; The skies proclaim the work of his hands" -Ps 19:1

by Hikin Mike on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 am
Hikin Mike
Forum Contributor
Hikin Mike wrote:It's going to take a bit to get used to, but I like it. Two things, I also find the Social Media buttons on the right annoying and I have my signature turned on, but I don't see it. I posted a reply on another thread and I didn't see it.

EDIT: I see it now...LOL!
I saw it when I posted the original one. I edited it to say a saw it, but now it's gone.
Mike Matenkosky
"The heavens declare the glory of God; The skies proclaim the work of his hands" -Ps 19:1

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:04 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Mike, are you using an iPad. Right now Reply with quotes from an iPad is not working. You only see the quote, not your additional reply.

by CactusD on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 am
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
All great work, and very tempted to become a paid-up member (about time!).
Two glitches I've experienced:
control-click or two-finger tap to open a gallery image in a new window doesn't work - all I get is a copyright protect message;
also, in my latest image post, the font formatting has gone weird - font tags, or something, have been left in in the post (they didn't show up when composing the post).
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by LHays on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Login issues with my iPad. My login issues for my macbook pros have been resolved...was using Firefox and Safari. I deleted the cookies and later in the day it was fine. I'm still having problems with my iPad. No matter what I do.....clear cookies/data and restart....I still have to login each time. Obviously my iPad isn't my main source of NSN viewing....but I do like to use it on trips, etc. Any suggestions?
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by Hikin Mike on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:27 pm
Hikin Mike
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Mike, are you using an iPad.  Right now Reply with quotes from an iPad is not working.  You only see the quote, not your additional reply.
No, I don't own an iPad or even a cell phone. I'm using an old 10-year old computer. I'm not seeing my signature.
Mike Matenkosky

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Hey Greg . . . . . following up on your hummer post where we talked about the brightness surrounding the smaller image verses the larger image, after a couple of days now I am finding this to be the same with many photos posted. Any thoughts of possibly subduing the bright white of the background to make the viewing of images on that page a bit easier on the eyes? I think what happens is the bright white affects the eye pupils and shuts them down a bit, thereby making the image appear darker than it really is. On the larger page this does not happen. Just a thought :)

by Greg Downing on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Tim, Thanks for the post and it's a valid question and point and one we did consider - this is why we have the popup feature - to eliminate these distractions and allow you to see the image with a middle toned background. If we changed the rest of the site to a darker color (middle tone etc) then we would have to use reverse text etc. which makes for a different design and comments and text a lot more difficult to read that way, and that's going to change the entire design of the site unfortunately. However, at some future date we may have different options for you to choose (a dark skin perhaps) but in the meantime, allowing an uncluttered view of image is what we were going for when we designed the pop up (some are calling it a shadow box) and I think it works well.
Greg Downing

by Greg Downing on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Mike and CactusD - Nicholas is looking into both of your issues. FWIW Ctrl click works for me in three browsers (firefox, chrome and safari) for opening images up in new windows. You can also right click image thumbnails if you click on the gray title and not the actual thumbnail. Disabling right clicking on images is for a tiny little bit of additional copyright protection.
Greg Downing

by CactusD on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
Many thanks Greg for the direct response. The latest with me is that ctrl-click works for the main gallery but not the macro gallery thumbnails! (I'm using Safari).
Cheers,
Dave
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by Greg Downing on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:08 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Hmm that's an odd one - I just tested all galleries and can command click (open in new tab) without any issues on chrome, firefox and Safari. If it does not work for you is it both on the image thumbnail itself as well as the link in the gray title bar under each thumbnail? What about the other galleries?
Greg Downing

by Landon Starnes on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:24 pm
Landon Starnes
Forum Contributor
I love the new NatureScapes web site, awesome looking design! I still haven't explored all of the new features, but I really appreciate the larger image sizes and the lightbox view is really nice to have. Just one thing that I have noticed is that the site is not keeping me logged into my account and I am constantly having to re-sign in. Any ideas on this? 

Thanks for the new NSN, I know a lot of hard work went into it!
Landon Starnes
Blog: [url]http://landonstarnesphotography.blogspot.com/[/url]

by Greg Downing on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:52 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Landon a small percentage of users have having that same issue and we are looking into it. We should have an update within 24-48 hours tops. Thanks for the patience!
Greg Downing

by Colin Inman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:00 pm
Colin Inman
Regional Moderator
Member #:00333
Just noticed a problem trying to post a new topic in the Environment Conservation & Ethics forum. Got an error saying too few characters, posting from Ipad.

The post was "Saw this article on the BBC news website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20932461"
Colin

by Greg Downing on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:02 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Colin,

Another issue we are aware of is related to posting from the ipad for some users. We are working on this issue as well and will have an update soon. In the meantime please refrain from posting from ipad for the short term.
Greg Downing

86 posts |