All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by scubastu on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:17 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Hi Folks

I was trying to do some do some micro focus adjustment to my 5dmk2 & 7D. I was pointing at some very detailed stucco (!) about 20 meters away using the 100-400L at 400mm. I was in EOS Utility and went into 10x mode. Instead of a nicely stable image on screen, it looked like the view was undulating. I realize that if the subject were moving that there'd be the jello effect of the rolling shutter, but not if the subject was stationary! I tried this on both bodies, and 2 lenses, my 100-400L circa 2003 and my brand new 70-200f4 L IS, both combinations displayed the same thing! Images are still sharp with the lenses, though I felt the old 1-4 was needing a bit of MFA.

My last shoot with the 70-200 with the 5dmk2 resulted in a 24 image pano and everything was tack sharp. A recent shoot of snowy owls using the 7d & 100-400 yielded more softer shots than usual and this is why I tried to do MFA. Previous tethered shoots with the 5dmk2 and the 24-105 were as per usual, tack sharp. Should I be worried? Just weird that it happens with 2 bodies & 2 lenses.

Cheers

Stu
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

by Joerg Rockenberger on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:18 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
Try turning IS off. Best, Joerg

by scubastu on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:40 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
IS was off.

Thanks
Stewart L. Sy

www.stewartsy.com

by Chas on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:56 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Earthquake, wink. Seriously, check for camera movement resulting from instability, this will be evident on the camera LCD in live preview when magnified as well. Shoot an image and blow it up on your monitor checking for sharpness. 2 cameras, 2 lenses sounds like shake to me. Anyone running around the house? I always do this test with flash to negate any camera shake altering the results.

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by scubastu on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:16 am
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Hi Chas,

Must have been, I repeated the test in another room and the jello look was gone. What threw me was that not all parts of the frame would blur, some would stay sharp and some went soft. Guess it was a high enough frequency movement that it caused the jello effect.

Weird, I thought I picked the most stable part of the house too, the basement.

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR NSN'rs!

Stu
Stewart L. Sy

www.stewartsy.com

by Marshall Black on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:12 am
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417
Hi Stu
Were you lacking light in your shooting conditions? I have noticed a noisy feel to live view under low light conditions, guess the sensor to display LCD electronics have problems and struggle under that kind of circumstance. Seen on both 5DII & 60D for me, no matter the lens, but the shots usually end up good.
Marshall

by scubastu on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:52 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Hi Marshall,

Had plenty of light, slightly overcast day. It wasn't noise though, it literally looked liked the image was undulating.

Cheers

Stu
Stewart L. Sy

www.stewartsy.com

by Marshall Black on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:03 pm
Marshall Black
Lifetime Member
Member #:00417
Stu, thought you said you were shooting in the basement, hence my suggestion.
Cheers
Marshall

by scubastu on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:26 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Hi Marshall,

Basement is a loose term, where i live, our main floor is the 2nd storey, so the "basement" is beside the garage, so I was shooting tethered out of my basement office through the garage to an outside wall.

S.
Stewart L. Sy

www.stewartsy.com

9 posts |