All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:14 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
For those who have an ipod touch, iphone, ipad, android phone or tablet etc, what are some of your favorite apps for photography, organizing photos, DOF calculators, etc, etc.?

Please share :)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Craig Lipski on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:13 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I know others like a different one, but I really like the f/8 dof calculator - I find it very intuitive and easy to use.
One that is slightly off topic, but since a lot of photogs here shoot birds and (hopefully, judiciously) use calls to bring them in, is Bird Tunes, which is an encylopedia of bird calls and songs - a lot of the same can be found in iBird and Sibley, but this one, in most cases, has many more songs / calls.

by kferris on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:17 am
kferris
Forum Contributor
LightTrac – This shows the position of the sun from sunrise to sunset based on the day you pick. It shows the position relative to a spot you pick on google earth. This is great when you want to find out what day is best for aligning a sunrise or sunset with a foreground object.

A basic level – It comes in handy when you forget your bubble level.

Last edited by kferris on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Kin Lau on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:41 am
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
TPE, iDoF Calc, birding guides, BirdsEye and iONTBIRDS for finding the birds. The maps and GPS apps on my iPad are used a lot as well.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DOF Master, iBird Pro, LightTrac, Moon Phase are the ones I use most

by Woodswalker on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:26 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
I finally have an iPhone and a few Apps that I'm still learning. I agree with iBird and LightTrac which has already been used with moon and sunrises. Theodolite is helpful at times as well. I should add that I use Garmin On Demand as well but the one that comes with the phone is quite good.

On LightTrac: is there setting for north?

by OntPhoto on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I use BirdJam and Sibley's. I have many icons on the desktop screen of the iPhone, while they are not apps per se, I use often for photography related purposes (eg. I don't have iOntbirds, a free app but I have an icon to OntBirds on the web, link to Moon Phases, etc.). I think the iPhone itself has been an invaluable tool for photography/birding purposes.

by scubastu on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:54 am
scubastu
Forum Contributor
All Android, sorry, don't have any Apple products: Rawdroid is a quick way to view your shot images with a CF adapter, Remote Your DSLR is the Android version to DSLR Remote from On One, DSLR Remote turns your tablet into your live view screen, connects your DSLR directly via USB to a tablet, lets you change the camera settings and take the shot. RG DOF Calculator, Google Sky Map, Moon Phase Pro and I just found one called Golden Photo that gives you the Golden Hours (AM & PM) based on the GPS locator on your phone.
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

by Kevin Hall on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 am
Kevin Hall
Forum Contributor
RadarScope is great for seeing what is coming at you storm-wise and also good for getting an idea of nocturnal movements of birds during migration.

It's nice to have the full Sibley's in a pocket sized version.

Wish more states would come out with a state parks and forest guide like Pennsylvania has.

BirdsEye is very useful in areas that get covered by lots of eBird reportage. It's also good, conversely, for staying clear of areas that are too hot.

by Colin Inman on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am
Colin Inman
Regional Moderator
Member #:00333
iBird Pro - just wish they'd get the europe version out on Android soon.
Tide App - gives me high & low tide times & sizes anywhere in the world.
Smugfolio - I've got the official smugmug app, but smugfolio is a really good little offline viewer for my smugmug website.
Sundroid & Moon Phase - Two apps I downloaded but haven't really made much use of as yet.
Colin

by penghai on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:43 pm
penghai
Forum Contributor
[quote="Kevin Hall"]RadarScope is great for seeing what is coming at you storm-wise and also good for getting an idea of nocturnal movements of birds during migration.
[/quote]

Kevin,

Will RadarScope helps to predict when a storm may clear up so we can go to right places for cloud breakup shots?

Eric

by Kevin Hall on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:13 pm
Kevin Hall
Forum Contributor
RadarScope is an app that gives you NEXRAD level 3 radar data from any NEXRAD site in the US, Guam, or Puerto Rico. It also offers tornado, severe thunderstorm, and flash flood warnings from the National Weather Service.

It is raw data, if you understand what you are looking at it could certainly help predict a breakup of precipitation but it will not just give you the inside scoop. Check out the info at the App Store.

For more info on reading radar data for bird migrations check outDavid La Puma's Woodcreeper.com Radar & Migration FAQ.

by Brian E. Small on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:27 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
BirdTunes...........quite simply THE best bird song app on the market today: http://www.birdtunesapp.com/

by srfnson on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:27 pm
srfnson
Forum Contributor
In addition to iBirdpro and TPE that have already been mentioned probably my most used app is TopoMaps.

Topo Maps is great on the ipad for planning backcountry trips in search for wildlife ie. to find open meadows and routes around wetlands. The maps can be downloaded ahead of time so you do not need a wireless connection. I find the maps much better than google maps for backcountry/national park detail.
[url]http://www.prairiefoto.ca[/url]

by penghai on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 pm
penghai
Forum Contributor
Kevin,

Thanks very much.

[quote="Kevin Hall"]RadarScope is an app that gives you NEXRAD level 3 radar data from any NEXRAD site in the US, Guam, or Puerto Rico. It also offers tornado, severe thunderstorm, and flash flood warnings from the National Weather Service.

It is raw data, if you understand what you are looking at it could certainly help predict a breakup of precipitation but it will not just give you the inside scoop. Check out the info at the App Store.

For more info on reading radar data for bird migrations check out[url=http://www.woodcreeper.com/radar-migration-faq/]David La Puma's Woodcreeper.com Radar & Migration FAQ[/url].[/quote]

by Andrew Kandel on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:25 pm
Andrew Kandel
Forum Contributor
For photography, I use my smart phone the most for checking weather forecasts. After checking out many of the apps available on Android I now end up using the internet browser to go to the Weather Underground site because they give forecasts for percentage cloud cover and wind speeds.
[url=http://www.andrewkandel.com/]Website[/url] - [url=http://wherebuffaloroam.wordpress.com/]Blog[/url] - [url=https://plus.google.com/112207995176022333771/posts]Google+[/url]

by Alan Murphy on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
I'll second BirdTunes. It's the most used App on my Phone.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Lloyd Spitalnik on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:07 am
Lloyd Spitalnik
Forum Contributor
I wish BirdTunes was available for Android. I agree it's the best app for birdsongs. I just hate having to carry an iPod along with my Android phone.
Lloyd Spitalnik
http://lloydspitalnikphotos.com
http://blog.lloydspitalnikphotos.com

by Craig Lipski on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I wish BirdTunes was available for Android. I agree it's the best app for birdsongs. I just hate having to carry an iPod along with my Android phone.
Boy, have we gotten spoiled. I love it! 6 field guides in my pocket, Bird Tunes, dof calculator. . . This is stuff outa' Star Trek!

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:41 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
SunSurveyor (TPE equivalent, at least until it comes out for android), TidePlan, and GPSLogger (for geotagging).

28 posts |