Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Kin Lau on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:28 pm
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
We're planning another summer trip, and considering Chaplin Saskatchewan as a destination. I know it's suppose to be one of the best shorebird birding locations, but has anyone tried shooting there? How is it?

by DMcLarty on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:20 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
driven through the salt flats yearly for years...the area is pretty cool as you are driving along and all of a sudden there is piles of white salt looks like snow...try explaning that to the kids...for us it like a little home scenery at plus 25 C :)

as forthe birds there is some access but not a lot as the roads around the lake are private. There is a couple bird stands along the main highway but they are quite far from the lake. Timing is also everything as the birds are migrating through so early to mid June is the time. The town is a typical small town Sask for services. The infomration centre is a good stop to start with to get a lay of the land and what is arround. There are numerous small lakes and ponds that you can also stop by but you will find the birds are quite skitterish. Watch for back roads and roads travelling off the main highway but becarefull if there is a rain storm inthe area...mud slicker than @#$@ when wet.

check out the web site http://chapnc.sasktelwebhosting.com/tours.htm

Quill Lake is another area that can be visited for birds ect.

Doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by Kin Lau on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:57 pm
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
Thanks Doug... we're just trying to see how much time we should allot for Chaplin. I've seen that page for Chaplin.. it's one of only a very few sources of info, I'll probably post to Saskbirds as well.

Do you have any other spots to recommend in Sask, either northern (off the Yellowhead) or southern? We did Grasslands NP, Cypress Hills the last time we drove thru. Grasslands is an option if Chaplin is not going to be as productive.

Other points we'll be hitting, will be Whitewater Lake MB, Seven Sisters Falls MB, Lake Superior north shore, Elk Island NP AB, Jasper/Banff NP AB, Vancouver Island - Port Renfew, Nanaimo.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Not meaning to jump on your post here Kin, but I too am thinking of heading to Saskatchewan this coming June. My main interest will be the eastern songbirds (mainly warblers) that breed in the northern boreal forests. I have been having a very tough time getting specific info for this area. So I too would be interested in any specific locations where photography would be at its best for these species. I plan to go to Prince Albert Park, Meadow Lake Park and Cold Lake, but they are very big parks, so if anyone has any detailed specific locations it would be greatly appreciated. I did purchase a book called "Saskatchewan Birds, by Al Smith" but I have no idea how good or specific locations are for finding species in this book, as I haven't received it yet.

Hopefully any responses I get to this will help you out as well Kin :)

Much appreciated.

by Kin Lau on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:38 pm
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
Thanks Tim. Any info is good, so I don't mind you jumping in with any questions.

5 posts |