« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 51 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:53 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
If you read Ontbirds (Ontario bird email list) you'll know it's shaping up to be a good year for owls on Amherst Island. Good news compared to last winter when few owls were seen on the island.

From todays Ontbirds report: "Owls, on the other hand, put on a good show this week. There were 2 Saw-whets in the Owl Woods last Friday, a Long-eared and an Eastern Screech owl were found on Amherst on Sunday and birders searching for Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows flushed a dozen Short-eared Owls on the KFN property on Monday." - Peter and Jane Good.

And another from today:
"Spent a couple of hours in the Owl Woods this morning. There were 4 SAW-WHET OWLS and at least a dozen LONG-EARED OWLS, 3 of which stayed put and gave good views.

Also of note: BOREAL OWLS are on the move this year to north of us, and one was reported near Ottawa on September 29th, I believe one of the earliest recorded dates for up there. This is also the 4th year in their typical 4 year cycle of irruptions.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jnadler on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:06 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
A very important question is, even with abundant owls, is Amherst Island a good bird photo location or just a good birding location?

Except for Snowy Owls, most species stay within the conifer tree limbs and sometimes up high. I know that Amherst is a heavily visited birder location with its share of past birder vs. bird photographer conflict. I assume that photographers using mice, decoys, etc. are not tolerated there and subject to creating significant ill will. I'd love to go there, especially if boreal owls show up, but not sure how the photography itself would be. Can anyone comment on Amherst for photography?

by OntPhoto on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:59 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:A very important question is, even with abundant owls, is Amherst Island a good bird photo location or just a good birding location?

Except for Snowy Owls, most species stay within the conifer tree limbs and sometimes up high. I know that Amherst is a heavily visited birder location with its share of past birder vs. bird photographer conflict. I assume that photographers using mice, decoys, etc. are not tolerated there and subject to creating significant ill will. I'd love to go there, especially if boreal owls show up, but not sure how the photography itself would be. Can anyone comment on Amherst for photography?

Long-Eared Owl.
They stay in the jack pines. Tight and with lots of branches all over. That's how this species likes it during the Fall and Winter up here. Not the best place to photograph Long-Eared Owls. However, if you're patient and walk around slowly, you may find one in the open..perhaps not for long. I know 2 people who were able to photograph a Long-Eared Owl without any obstruction in the way. This was achieved because an opening was found through some trees (as camouflage) and the owl was photographed through this hole. One of these photographers managed some very nice Long-Eared Owl photos and he was not using a DSLR. But he's got some really nice photos.

With persistence, patience and luck/timing good photos can be gotten. More often though, people have not gotten many good photos of this species in the jack pines. If you walk in there hoping to get some quick nice shots you may be very disappointed. There are always head shots of course. The light in the owl woods is not the best. Occasionally I have heard that Long-Eared Owls have been seen outside the Jack Pines. Ran into one photographer last year (early morning) who said he was following one or two outside the jack pines. They flew off before he could get very close. I have seen the odd one flying outside the jack pines but this is not common. There are a few openings in the jack pines where one could be positioned and wait for owls to fly out. The more people you have walking through the woods the more this happens. Birders and photographers alike have flushed these skittish owls. So, all the above makes getting a really good shot of a Long-Eared Owl in the jack pines not easy.

Saw-Whet Owl.
These have been found perched low or high up. Sometimes in heavy concealment and sometimes less so. Aren't most Saw-Whets or other small owls like this no matter where you go? They sleep during the day and try and conceal themselves while roosting during the day. And I have seen them right out in the open. I can't speak for the owl woods but know people who have very nice photos of these owls. Some of these photos, I have learned, methods were used to draw the owl more into the open. Owls have different "personalities" too..some more skittish, some less so. Photo ops? Depends on the above.

Boreal Owl.
I saw many of my Boreal Owl sightings in the owl woods. So have many people here. Easy to photograph? Same as the Saw-Whet. There goes this one well-passed around story about someone who was able to get a Boreal Owl in the owl woods into a better position. I won't reveal the method I heard was used as I don't want info like that to get into the wrong hands. They are rather tame owls. This is a good year for Boreal Owls based on reports. Whether any will show up in the owl woods like they did 4 years ago when this species irrupted, time will tell. The owl woods have been a very good place to see this species in the past.

Short-Eared Owl.
Mostly found on or near the KFNC (Kingston Field Naturalist Club) property on the eastern part of the island. I have photographed them flying around in the afternoon in past years. Some people have walked right up to them in the past. To gain access to the KFNC property, a large piece of open land, you need to sign up for a membership (about $40?) for insurance purposes. However, this has not stopped many people from going onto the property. Photo ops? Depends on time of year and your methods. I don't know much about the habits of this owl on the island but traditionally in the winter months they stay in the woods and come out at dusk. However, during the Spring and Fall before the snow has covered up the land they are more visible during the day on that property. Short-Eared Owls can also be seen on the road running past the maintenance building not far from the ferry dock. Another good place to see these owls is along the road to the owl woods from the north end of the island. Check the fields on both sides and on the fence posts.

Barred Owl.
I saw one in the owl woods last Fall and believe it was there during the Winter as well. Fall leaves serve as a nice background. A dreamshot for me would be a Barred Owl against or surrounded by golden yellow leaves. If they show up in the Fall, Amherst Island is a good place to photograph one due to the nice settings there.

Due to a poor winter for owls in general on Amherst Island last year I did not go there much. I was also having way too much fun photographing Snowy Owls closer to home. There was a Northern Hawk Owl that hung around the same spot for a couple of months last winter in Quebec, north of Montreal. In hindsight I should have spent more time photographing that Hawk Owl. It was a great location and the owl was very friendly. Oh well. maybe I can make up for it this winter :mrgreen: Speaking of Hawk Owls, I haven't seen any on Amherst Island.

Snowy Owl.
They perch on telephone poles, on posts in the fields and on the ground. Many of the fields around the island are fenced in. However, I have seen people in those fields anyway. Not often but I have seen it. There are some areas on the island where there are no fences keeping you out and people have photographed Snowy Owls there. After photographing Snowy Owls last winter east of Ottawa, any other place would be somewhat of a letdown. Well, it may depend on the methods employed too.

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:51 am, edited 10 times in total.

by jnadler on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:07 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
wow, thanks!

by OntPhoto on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:08 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:wow, thanks!
Here's an example of the stuff that can get in the way. Lots of branches. I like its relaxed pose indicating this is a rather tame one. Now only if it could move out into the open.

Not a good idea to bring a tripod** in there either as you'll be bumping into all kinds of branches with it. Monopod is easier to negotiate around all the trees. There are some cedars nearby and if the Long-Eared Owls perch in them it may make for a better photo op. From a recent visit there (Canon 40D + 70-200 2.8L + TC 1.4x -- about 85% full-frame) in the jack pines. If anyone finds a Gitzo tripod foot in the jack pines at the owl woods let me know, it's likely mine :mrgreen:

**Actually, I had to use a tripod in there recently. It was needed for ambient light work. You can bring a tripod into the jack pines part of the owl woods but may have to close/collapse it until you need to use it.

This one is more in the open. Link to photo.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/104996603/original

And this guy a little less so. With stuff in the way the key is not to use flash as the light will only make such obstructions more visible when reflecting the light back.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:36 am, edited 8 times in total.

by OntPhoto on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:30 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Three Boreal Owls have been reported on Amherst Island (in the owl woods) today, Sunday December 7th by Bruce DiLabio to Ontbirds. The owl woods on Amherst Island reopened today after being closed for deer hunting. Round trip ferry to the island is 8 dollars.

The last time I saw Boreal Owls was 4 years ago in the owl woods. This is a much sought after species for birders. I was thinking about visiting Amherst Island but a Northern Hawk Owl distracted me :-)

In addition, his report also contains 5 Saw-Whet Owls and 20+ Long-Eared Owls. All owls in the owl woods, both jack pine plantation and red/white cedars.

by Kin Lau on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:03 am
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
One quick note about the long-eared's in Amherst. They tend to flush silently. I remember flushing some 20 owls before I finally got to see one before it flushed. If there are others around, just find a nice spot on the outside with good light and wait for _them_ to flush it. Owl woods is open to the locals for walking around (including dogs), so on the weekends, there could be quite a few non-birders/photogs in there as well.

If you keep walking around, you may also eventually find the one that doesn't/won't flush. We had a few a couple of years ago that didn't flush - even tho we had walked right under it, and judging by the whitewash, they had been there all day.

by Paul Burgess on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:11 pm
Paul Burgess
Forum Contributor
FWIW:
Two of my brothers, my Dad, and I went in Feb '07, and we are considering another trip. David manged to get this shot: http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... &hilit=Owl

Also, there's a headshot on the wildlife page my website that I got (http://www.treasuredtruth.ca/birds.php [it's not a straight shot though]).

We saw the LEs, one far-away Snowy, and a possible SE. And don't forget the other raptures! We saw a lot of RTs, a few RLs, Harriers and my one-and-only Bald Eagle (a Imm.).

The chickadees in Owl Woods will eat out of your hand, so you might want to bring a bit of seed. Also, it might not be the best idea to drive up the road to Owl Woods. We spent an hour getting out of a drift.

Any tips for finding the SWs, Boreals, and ESs? Anyway to legally get onto the KFN property without paying (or paying that much)? A pass or something?
Happy shooting and God bless,
Paul
www.EvolutionvsGod.com

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:27 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Paul, I think if you are accompanied by a member you don't have to join.

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:13 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Paul Burgess wrote:FWIW:
The chickadees in Owl Woods will eat out of your hand, so you might want to bring a bit of seed. Also, it might not be the best idea to drive up the road to Owl Woods. We spent an hour getting out of a drift.

Any tips for finding the SWs, Boreals, and ESs? Anyway to legally get onto the KFN property without paying (or paying that much)? A pass or something?
At the feeders in the owl woods they have a seed box where you can open and take seeds to feed the birds. Of course, even better to bring your own seeds to feed or replenish the supply in the box there.

If you subscribe to or follow Ontbirds via the web then you will read reports on where to find the owls. Typically, check the cedars as you walk along the trail in the owl woods. Check the jack pine plantation too and the surrounding trees. I have a feeling that this coming weekend there will be no shortage of birders looking for the Boreal Owls.

KIn Lau, good advice. I have found at least one very cooperative Long-Eared Owl in the jack pine plantation this Fall. Surprisingly cooperative. On busy weekends when there are a good number of people walking through the jack pine plantation, the Long-Ears have been seen flying around briefly out in the open areas as you mentioned.

by Paul Burgess on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:37 pm
Paul Burgess
Forum Contributor
Thought this link might be of interest. Fairly in-the-open shots.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums ... hp?t=25695
Happy shooting and God bless,
Paul
www.EvolutionvsGod.com

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:00 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Paul Burgess wrote:Thought this link might be of interest. Fairly in-the-open shots.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums ... hp?t=25695
Thanks for the link Paul. I know who the photographer is. He's an avid birder too. Look at the wide open eyes on that Boreal Owl. Looking forward to visiting Amherst Island. I have so many different owls to photograph this year that I need to pick and choose. Oh, the burden :lol:

by Harold Stiver on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:09 am
Harold Stiver
Forum Contributor
I spent yesterday on the island with the following results:

My primary target was Boreal Owl as I had not seen one for ten years, and finally caught up with one after about four hours of searching.

I saw one Saw-Whet although another was also reported.

There were a dozen Long-eared about, easily spooked, but a couple who stayed put.

Driving about the island netted only 3 Snowy Owl, quite low numbers.

As I was driving out the road from the Owl Woods about 3:30 PM, I had an incredible number of Short-eared Owls, one sitting on most of the fence posts, in the shrubs, and flying about the fields. Perhaps +50.

Their are very high numbers of Rough-legs, and Northern Harriers, as well as some nice small flocks of Snow Buntings (I didn't pick out any Longspurs). White tailed Deer and Red Fox are plentiful.

Reminders: There is no gasoline on the island, and the restaurant was closed. Dress warm, it was -14 C. in the woods.
Harold Stiver
Nature Notes

by OntPhoto on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:16 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Thanks Harold for the report. A couple of emails just arrived via OntBirds regarding the owl situation on Amherst Island. I'm interested in the Boreal and Short-ears. The weather looks pretty good this weekend with Sunday being on the mild side. http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0349
But it will definitely be very busy though (likely with large groups of birders milling about) as it has been in previous good owl years.

"The owl woods are very productive this morning. There are at least two Boreal Owls, four Northern Saw-whets and 30+ Long-eared Owls. At the Kingston Field Naturalists Club property on the east end of the island there was one Snowy Owl and there were two Snowy Owls and a couple of Short-eareds along the south shore road.

Conditions are overcast but there is no snow coming down. There is less than 1 cm of snow on the ground but some sections of the trail are icy. The road in is no problem; you can drive right up to the woods. There were also three Hermit Thrushes.

As Bruce was talking there was a meadow vole running by his feet. He said the vole population seems to be good which should bode well for continued owl success." - Brian Morin on behalf of Bruce DiLabio via Ontbirds

And this from the Goods via OntBirds.
There were two groups of Short-eared flying about yesterday afternoon; on the north section of the Owl Woods Road and over the KFN property. This is quite a ways to the east of previous flocks seen closer to Stella.

Directions: Located 18 km. west of Kingston. Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit 593 (County Rd. 4, Camden East) and drive south to the very end (Millhaven). Turn right on Hwy. 33 and drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the Amherst Island ferry. The ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the half hour and leaves the island on the hour. Cost is $8.00 Canadian round trip. There are no gas stations on the island. There are restrooms on the ferry, and at the island ferry dock. The East End K.F.N. property is at the easternmost part of the island on the east side of the Lower Forty Foot Road. (for insurance purposes you must be accompanied by a K.F.N. club member).

To reach the Owl Woods, turn left (east) at the four-way stop sign by the general store and drive 3.4 km along Front Rd. to the (seasonal)Marshall Forty-Foot Rd. Marshall Forty-Foot Rd. is across the road from house #2320. Drive along Marshall Rd. to the mid-way point, where there is an "S" in the road (1.2 km, look for the K.F.N. kiosk which has owl observing ethics). Park in the gravel lane or off the road edge.

by Harold Stiver on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:53 pm
Harold Stiver
Forum Contributor
Following is a short vid on the Boreal Owl. Not a lot of action but it will give you an idea of the bird and habitat.

http://ontfin.com/Word/boreal-owl/

Cheers, Harold
Harold Stiver
Nature Notes

by OntPhoto on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:00 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Harold Stiver wrote:Following is a short vid on the Boreal Owl. Not a lot of action but it will give you an idea of the bird and habitat.

http://ontfin.com/Word/boreal-owl/

Cheers, Harold
While unrelated to Amherst Island, I observed a Hawk Owl in Ottawa today and it was calling the whole time I was watching it. That was totally unexpected and a real treat. I had been under the impression Hawk Owls were "normally" silent when away from their breeding territory. My guess would be that someone had used a recorded call earlier and that's why the Hawk Owl was calling. BTW, latest count is 4 Boreal Owls on Amherst Island today.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

by MarieRead on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:43 am
MarieRead
Lifetime Member
Member #:01034
Wondering if anyone has been to owl woods since the onset of the unusually mild weather we've been having in the NE for the past few days? Presumably there will have been some thawing on Amherst Island too. How are the roads?

I'm planning to go up there next week for a few days and would appreciate any updates.

Thanks

Marie
http://www.marieread.com

Author of Mastering Bird Photography: the Art, Craft and Technique of Photographing Birds and their Behavior.

by Kin Lau on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
We went Dec 18. The road into Owl woods was bearly passible from the amount of snow, but the melt the last week would have helped. Make sure your boots are waterproof.

On the way into Owl woods, there were about 6 Short-eared Owls flying and hunting right along the road it during the day. If you stop to shoot them, just watch that you don't block others. I had several inconsiderate people who decided to stop in the middle after I had backed up over 500ft to let them thru.

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
MarieRead wrote:Wondering if anyone has been to owl woods since the onset of the unusually mild weather we've been having in the NE for the past few days? Presumably there will have been some thawing on Amherst Island too. How are the roads?

I'm planning to go up there next week for a few days and would appreciate any updates.

Thanks

Marie
Here is an email to Ontbirds (December 30, 2008) which talks about the road in question. It seems like he is talking about driving in from the north part of the unmaintained road. I plan to visit Amherst Island this week (hopefully) and will report when I get back.

"Owl Woods can be reached by travelling east on Front Rd. to the unmaintained Marshall 40 Foot Rd. (right hand side), and walking down this road approximately 1.5 km south to the KFN bullentin board. ***The condition of this road on Monday was poor, and I suggest only 4x4 vehicles should attempt driving down to the parking area west of the woods (via the Lower 40 Foot Rd.)." - Hugh Metcalfe

Update: I just received information that the road to the owl woods from the south part is drivable. This birder (different birder than the one mentioned above) drives the same car as me, a compact and he was able to drive in OK.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

by MarieRead on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:04 pm
MarieRead
Lifetime Member
Member #:01034
Many thanks for the updates. Yeah, I read today's Ontbirds posting too, and am hoping my AWD Subaru will be OK on this road! An adventure, anyway!

Marie
http://www.marieread.com

Author of Mastering Bird Photography: the Art, Craft and Technique of Photographing Birds and their Behavior.

51 posts |