Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 31 posts | 
by John P on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:45 am
John P
Forum Contributor
I bought my first Gitzo tripod probably 25 years ago. I can't remember the model but it was one of the biggies to manage all of my photo equipment including my Nikon 400mm lens. About 6 years ago I traded it in for a Gitzo 1548 CF tripod. All of my Gitzo's have worked flawlessly under heavy use. My first Gitzo I just had to replace the inserts periodically because of my setting up in swamps and bogs to photograph.
I certainly don't have the technical expertise on models and manufacturering technicals but I certainly endorse Gitzo's tripods. Like I tell all of my workshop participants, buy a good quality tripod and that may be the only tripod you will need for your photography career!!
http://www.impressionsofnature.net
John P
www.impressionsofnature.net

by OntPhoto on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
afe wrote:Without the tech stuff, I'd say go for the Feisol. In a few months you'll discover it's not quite as steady as the good stuff (Gitzo) and you'll end up buying that anyway. Many people (including me) have learned that buying the best tripod first, REALLY pays off ...
/afe
Heheheheheh :) Like many, that was my route too. Not a Feisol but something even less. In the beginning, it's hard to see spending $700 for a tripod so you get something reasonable for a lot less. Then I find myself not using the tripod as much because it's either clunky or unwieldly, heavy or it's just not the most stable. I recently purchased a carbon-fibre Gitzo 6x 3530 LSV and it's a pure joy to use and carry. Easy to set up, very light, and stable. Although there are times when I don't use a tripod, I actually look forward to using the thing. Worth every penny of the 700 dollars. While I too would recommend buying the best tripod from the start, sometimes you have to go through the process to really appreciate what a quality tripod has to offer.

by Michael Eckstein on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:25 pm
Michael Eckstein
Forum Contributor
I've owned A few Gitzo tripods. I've switched to an Induro tripod, and I like the Induro better
"There are no rules for good photographs, only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

http://www.photo.net/photos/Michael%20Eckstein
http://www.meckstein.com/mike

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:10 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Michael Eckstein wrote:I've owned A few Gitzo tripods. I've switched to an Induro tripod, and I like the Induro better
Why :?:

by Tsmith on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:45 pm
Tsmith
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:
Michael Eckstein wrote:I've owned A few Gitzo tripods. I've switched to an Induro tripod, and I like the Induro better
I second that _ :?
- Toney

by RafalA on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:37 am
RafalA
Forum Contributor
Tsmith wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:
I second that _ :?
I wanna know too! :mrgreen:

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:08 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
A quick Google search came up with this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=318800

I have no personal experience or knowledge about Induro Tripods, but it sounds like they may be the same product as Benro marketed in the USA. Also, looking at the prices, they are not that much cheaper than a comparable Gitzo, and the specs do not look quite as good to me. I personally would never take the risk just to save a few bucks in this case. I did take the risk with Feisol, because my CT-3371 was about half the price of the comparable Gitzo, for a very light and sturdy tripod. If the build quality was there with my Feisol, I would be very happy with it.

by Tsmith on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:51 pm
Tsmith
Forum Contributor
I contacted Induro through their web site and never heard a word.
That right there specks volumes. The little dust bag that came with my Gitzo's was torn slightly when receiving mine from B+H Photo. Sent Gitzo's an email about it and 5 days later had a new one free of charge.
- Toney

by bocaj on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:42 am
bocaj
Forum Contributor
For those of you that own a carbon fiber tripod, which of you are taller than 6'0?
I'm torn between a 3530/3540 then there's the issue of a column (or not)...
Just when I thought I did all my research, I just get more thoroughly confused because of my searches. lol

by bocaj on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 am
bocaj
Forum Contributor
Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on this or personal input...thanks.

by OntPhoto on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:34 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:A quick Google search came up with this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=318800
I have no personal experience or knowledge about Induro Tripods, but it sounds like they may be the same product as Benro marketed in the USA. Also, looking at the prices, they are not that much cheaper than a comparable Gitzo, and the specs do not look quite as good to me. I personally would never take the risk just to save a few bucks in this case. I did take the risk with Feisol, because my CT-3371 was about half the price of the comparable Gitzo, for a very light and sturdy tripod. If the build quality was there with my Feisol, I would be very happy with it.
Hmmmmm....that name rings a bell. I believe he was the fella that came down to Ottawa last winter to photograph Snowy Owls. And he was using his Gitzo in our very cold weather. That week was brutally cold too.

Anyway, I was out in the field with a birder the other day and noticed he had a new Manfrotto carbon-fibre tripod. He's also a professional photographer. First thing he says is, the legs on the Manfrotto tripod have fallen apart a couple of times already. He sent it in for repair and the manufacturer told him to handle the tripods more gently in the future. He didn't think tripods had to be handled gingerly. And I agree. So, I told him about the reputation Gitzo had for durability.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the carbon-fibre Gitzo I purchased is a joy to use, this coming from someone who didn't really use a tripod much in the past. I carried it around today and even though I didn't get to use it much due to the shooting situation, it was so light and easy to carry and balanced so well in the hand or on the shoulder.

31 posts |