Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:18 pm
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
Any opinions on whether it's worth a trip for Eagles and if so, any tips?
Thanks
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:29 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto wrote:Any opinions on whether it's worth a trip for Eagles and if so, any tips?
Thanks

It has been 25years since I was there.  Hopefully someone has more recent experience.  Homer involved baiting (now discontinued within the city limits I understand but I would guess still goes on outside the city) when I was there and Haines was a natural (no baiting) situation.  Although the photography was not as close or intense, I enjoyed Haines more.  Go figure.  Something about the "here chick chick" atmosphere at Homer was a turnoff.  You will need a long lens (500, 600, or 800).  Other opportunities and one of my favorites was a tree full of eagle Christmas ornaments. You want to go when the last Salmon run occurs.  This is one of the latest runs and as a result eagles come hundreds of miles to feast.  My memory is that this is around thanksgiving but you need to check.  I flew in and out of Juneau and then took the ferry one way and a plane the other to Haines.  My guess is that most published photos still come out of the Homer area and if going there I would sign up for a photo tour.  Haines I did on my own and don't feel a tour is necessary. 

AGAIN, YOU NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE RECENTLY AS THINGS CAN CHANGE A LOT OVER 25 YEARS.

by WDCarrier on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
If it's simply bald eagle images you're looking for, Seabeck, Washington (Big Beef Creek) during low tides in mid-June is a lot closer...a couple hours from the Seattle Airport. I was there a couple of years ago and got excellent images of roosting and flying eagles as well as interaction between eagles and blue herons.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:02 am
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
WDCarrier wrote:If it's simply bald eagle images you're looking for, Seabeck, Washington (Big Beef Creek) during low tides in mid-June is a lot closer...a couple hours from the Seattle Airport.  I was there a couple of years ago and got excellent images of roosting and flying eagles as well as interaction between eagles and blue herons.
Yes it's eagles I'm looking for. June sounds like an unusual time for eagles.Thanks for the tip. 
Anyone else with some?
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

4 posts |