DChan
Forum Contributor
It's real:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:52 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
http://www.canon.co.nz/About-Canon/News ... Frame-DSLR

It is. Sadly. I think GPS is a nice addition for us who travel and at last womeone has both that and WiFi built in (even if I will never use it) but that may be the reason for the utterly pointless AF module. 1 type cross in the middle at f2.8. I would rather pay for WiFi and GPS if I need it.

I believe the egg in firmly on Canons face. Unless this new sensor is something special.

by Tsmith on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 am
Tsmith
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:I believe the egg in firmly on Canons face. Unless this new sensor is something special.
An interesting addition indeed. At the introductory price point I certainly don't see APS-C owners waiting in line to purchase one, especially if they own the EF-S lens.
- Toney

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Yawn.....

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:03 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I don't like to naysay this early on but for a camera to fit between the 7D and 5DIII it needs to have more than 1 cross type AF point, and a few more than 11 clustered around the middle. Forget the GPs and WiFi and make the camera useful for what it should be used for, taking pictures.

Perhaps a juicy upgrade for those considering the 5DmkII, same camera, few more features and same price at introduction. But why is it so light weight :|

by D. Robert Franz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:32 am
D. Robert Franz
Forum Contributor
Wish it wasn't!
Upcoming Photo Tours: "Bald Eagles of Alaska"  "Winter in Yellowstone"

Instagram #d.robertfranz

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The lack of a popup flash, lower resolution than the competition, lower frame rate than the competition, and disappointing AF system make it seem just a bit underwhelming. I think the second and last paragraph of the summary page on the DPreview hands on preview sums up how I felt about the 6D:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/6

You could write the same paragraph in comparison with Sony products. Canon comes up just a bit short of them as well.

by Dan Wolin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 am
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
Yeah I just don't see a compelling reason to get excited about this at all. Perhaps if it was 1500 vs 2K. A dual system guy I may turn into after all:).
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
But what about the important thing, 200-400 IS L.... :( come on Canon.

by Greg Basco on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 am
Greg Basco
Forum Contributor
Member #:01519
Underwhelming for sure. Definitely gives me no reason to change from my 5DII.

Cheers,
Greg

by Darren Huski on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 am
Darren Huski
Forum Contributor
Seems underwhelming at that price. At $1600 it starts to look interesting, but at $2100 the Nikon D600 seems like a better buy.

A refurbished 5D2 is just $1760 direct from Canon. That looks like a much better camera than the 6D and a great buy.

by Greg Basco on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 am
Greg Basco
Forum Contributor
Totally agree, Darren. I obviously don't know the technical requirements of making this happen, but if they had made the 6D kind of a 60D with 60D pricing and a full-frame sensor, I think that would have been a very successful seller for the prosumer market and even something that pros could use as a backup/second body.

Cheers,
Greg

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Greg Basco wrote:Totally agree, Darren. I obviously don't know the technical requirements of making this happen, but if they had made the 6D kind of a 60D with 60D pricing and a full-frame sensor, I think that would have been a very successful seller for the prosumer market and even something that pros could use as a backup/second body.

Cheers,
Greg
That would be really hard to do since the cost of the sensor is dramatically more on a full frame than a 1.6x crop... I refer you to this article :)
http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index. ... to-sensors

by Mary K. on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 am
Mary K.
Forum Contributor
1/180th flash sync!
Mary Konchar
http://MaryKonchar.naturescapes.net

by Greg Basco on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 am
Greg Basco
Forum Contributor
Got it, EJ. Thanks for the info -- very educational. Still doesn't change my being underwhelmed by the 6D though :-)

Cheers,
Greg

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:50 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:That would be really hard to do since the cost of the sensor is dramatically more on a full frame than a 1.6x crop... I refer you to this article :)
http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index. ... to-sensors
OK, so Canon has been ripping us off with the price of the 1D, 1DII,1DIIn,1DIII and 1DIV....cos the 1.3 sensors are dramatically cheaper to produce than the FF ones! :lol:

by Jess Lee on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am
Jess Lee
Forum Contributor
Nice to know Canon is staying their course. The old P.T Barnum business model!
What has happened to these guys?
Jess
Photos have a story to tell.
Photo Workshops

Western Images

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jess Lee wrote:Nice to know Canon is staying their course. The old P.T Barnum business model!
What has happened to these guys?
They are the Toyota of the camera industry. A super broad product line but nothing over the top or truly innovative. It is very common for companies, as they grow really large and have a lot of market success, to get very conservative and lacking in innovation. We have seen it over and over. the really good companies recognize when it's happened and then wow the world.

I was part of such a company that this happened to. In the early 2000's as Intel became one of the largest market cap companies on earth, the much smaller AMD came out with a line of processors that were innovative and just better and that was actually by using technology that Intel had developed. Fortunately my company recognized that, came out with the Core architecture which is now starting it's 5th generation and have left AMD in the dust. The company had become complacent and overly conservative but figured this out and corrected it. Will Canon do the same? they undoubtedly have more resources and technology to draw on than Nikon yet Nikon seems to be smacking them around a bit in the DSLR category. Sony on the other hand, has arguably even more resources and are killing it right now in all segments of the imaging industry. On the other hand Sony has completely lost their way in the home entertainment segment but that's a different story and different part of that company. Dell and HP are two companies that haven't figured it out yet either...

by Baywing on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:33 pm
Baywing
Forum Contributor
I don't think the target market for the 6D is folks who already have DSLRs but more geared for the new buyer entering the field. It will have to go head to head with the Nikon D600 as it too is geared for the first time FF dslr buyer. The 6D was rumored to be priced at several hundred dollars more, but the D600 has forced them to match the price. New buyers are often attracted by the extra goodies like GPS and WIFI but they also want the product when they want it so it will be interesting to see how the two compare in sales when the 6D finally hits the shelves.
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by hullyjr on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:37 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I don't usually bother with comments about a specific company but I am seriously worried for Canon based on the dross they released today. If I was getting back into photography today, Canon would be #3 on my list. I used to relish the release of cutting edge products from Canon as they would have something of real interest but today's announcements range from pathetic to laughable. Don't they realize that the competition has caught up with them and in most categories, surpassed them with better products?

Nikon seem to be going from strength to strength, and the micro4/3 is really getting the glass & sensor it needs. For purely personally reasons, I do not like Sony (bad experiences with their audio products/service) but at least they are releasing products that challenge the old order and garner plenty of positive interest. Canon, you are pathetic. You used to be a leader but now, you are asleep at the wheel, seeming content to slowly drift into mediocrity. But I will give Canon due credit for being the champion of giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

When I heard the rumors about the 6D's specifications I thought no way, it had to come from a crazy Nikon fan boy joking around. Turns out the crazies are now working at Canon. And they are trying their hardest to destroy what is left of their respectable Powershot cameras. Take the G series for example, they removed more of features made that series so special and what do you have left? The new releases from Nikon, Sony, Olympus & Panasonic offer serious competition.

And where are the new lenses, or even news about future designs? I hoped for wide angle pancake to go with the 40mm, maybe a (near mythical) 400/5.6L with IS or at least an update on the release of the 200-400mm.

Apologies for the rant, but when you invest a significant amount of money in a company you want them to be successful. Despite today's new my Canon gear still functions just fine and I had one of my best photo sessions this morning with migrating warblers along the lake front in Chicago. But Canon if you want my money, you are going to have to come up with something significantly better than today's offerings.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

50 posts |