« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Chas on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:17 am
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Hey Gang,

Canon loaned me a pre-production 1DX body this past week. The camera is impressive in hand with greatly improved ergonomics and improved functionality. It appeared with my limited in-flight use to AF quickly and accurately, and maintain tracking even with busy backgrounds :~) Static subjects were tack sharp. I really liked the spot focus and AF expansion capability. Images looked smooth and the color produced is the most accurate I have used to date. Even the reds were outstanding. I only shot ISO 200-1600, and the lack of noise and pixel structure looked impressive. The 1DX and my new 600EX-RT flashes produced highly accurate flash images in ETTL. The flash is easy to use with clearly defined buttons and a new layout. The additional power, zoom to 200mm, and wireless capability make this Canon's best flash to date. I am greatly looking forward to using the new bodies after delivery... this coming June/July.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000552013874

Best, Chas in FL
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by LHays on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:05 am
LHays
Lifetime Member
Member #:00040
Chas
I heard that the 1DX is about a half pound heavier. Is the physical body bigger or is it just internal weight? Not sure I'll ever be interested in a heavier, more expensive and full frame camera given I'd have to go with a bigger lens. At some point...probably now....I have to say what I have is what I'll keep.
Lana Hays
NSN 0040
[url]http://www.lanahays.com/[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
1/3 of a pound heavier!

by OntPhoto on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:19 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
To put the new 1D X performance into perspective, how would you compare it to a 1D MK4? Realizing you've only had a limited time using it for flight shooting, what is your first impression of it compared to the other camera?

by fredcor on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:37 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Except for more frames/sec, what is the benefit over the 5DMkIII?
Frederick Lat Correa

by Porsche917 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:03 pm
Porsche917
Lifetime Member
Member #:01310
Dear Charles:

Thank you for the field report. Did you find the 5 ounce greater weight of the 1DX over the 1D Mk IV made the 1DX unwieldy or burdensome? It does not seem to me that 5 ounces ought to be a signficant negative, especially if the 1DX is well balanced
and has good ergonomics.

Best Regards,

Roman :-)

by Chas on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Roman, you will not notice the 5 ounces unless you hold the cameras side by side.

Lat, 1DX has faster frame rate/buffer, superior build, additional weather sealing, faster AF, vertical grip, similar battery/charger to my other 1D series bodies. Only you can decide what you need, if it is worth the additional expense, etc. For most the 5D3 will more than fill their needs. Spending 7 to 8 months each year in harsh environments I have only shot with 1D series bodies since going Canon.

OntPhoto, I have not spent enough time with the camera to draw a realistic conclusion, but the AF is quick to acquire and more definitive in locking AF on a subject than the MIV, especially in low light and contrast. It did not jump to the background once it locked on to the subject. As far as real world high ISO noise is concerned I did not have a chance to use the camera above ISO 1600 in low light. At 1600 the camera was indeed better than any other 1D series body I have used in the past. Remember, this was also a Pre-production model and I am not sure what tweaks will be implemented in hardware or firmware upon final delivery in June/July. In truth I am still very happy with my 1Ds III full frame body and MIV and have to seriously consider the expenditure and what I will gain overall before pulling the trigger.

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Neil Fitzgerald on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:32 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Hey Chas, you mention "additional power" for the 600EX, but it's my understanding that it is the same as the 580EX. It's just that it can zoom to 200 mm and the GN is calculated differently.

by OntPhoto on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:16 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Chas, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Sounds like it made enough of a favourable impression.

by Chas on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:45 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Neil Fitzgerald wrote:Hey Chas, you mention "additional power" for the 600EX, but it's my understanding that it is the same as the 580EX. It's just that it can zoom to 200 mm and the GN is calculated differently.
Neil,

You are correct the guide number ISO 100 Guide number (at 35mm zoom setting) 118.1 (feet); 36 (meters) is identical for both strobes. It is the narrowing of the zoom angle to 200mm that increases the effective guide number or output. When setting the zoom to 50mm for Better Beamer use the output is indeed the same for both strobes. I will be testing the stated Guide numbers with my flash meter at the upcoming Tech Series in a few days time. If I find different results I will report back.

Chas
NSN 0037

10 posts |