Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Kim Kaiser on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:20 pm
Kim Kaiser
Forum Contributor
What are the current kings of speed that best serve the canon line now in the CF cards.

I am assuming the sandisk is the preferred name, I cant keep up with the current lineup with all the ultras, ducatis, etc.

I use the dsmark III if that matters,

One more edit< I am more concerned with write speed in camera, not so much from card to computer,

Thanks,,
THE-SILVERTIP.COM Lodging, Gallery, Gardiner, MT

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Here's how to determine the answer for your camera:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... p?cid=6007

by Chas on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:37 am
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Hoodman 675X are like rocket fuel in my MIV bodies.
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/testimonials.asp

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

Last edited by Chas on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Kim Kaiser on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:41 pm
Kim Kaiser
Forum Contributor
thanks
THE-SILVERTIP.COM Lodging, Gallery, Gardiner, MT

by Scott Baxter on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 pm
Scott Baxter
Forum Contributor
I use the photofast gmonster with my 7D and it works great and the price is also very nice. This is one year old data but it may be what you are looking for.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/conten ... 0044-10297

by Rocky Sharwell on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:52 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Chas or anyone else...Have you ever had to put in a warranty claim on a Hoodman card?

I am just curious--as in the past I have had 1 bad experience with Lexar and a really good one with Sandisk...
Rocky Sharwell

by Chas on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 am
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Rocky Sharwell wrote:Chas or anyone else...Have you ever had to put in a warranty claim on a Hoodman card?

I am just curious--as in the past I have had 1 bad experience with Lexar and a really good one with Sandisk...

Hey Rocky,

I have never heard of anyone using the cards having a faliure. They are higher in price point, but the Raw 675x cards are well worth the confidence and piece of mind that I can fire the shutter at will. I can now fully concentrate on capturing the decisive moment, pushing the limits of both my equipment and creativity, no longer having to worry about filling the camera buffer or missing images.

Below is quoted from there site...

Just the Facts:

RAW @ 675X 100 MB/second...10% faster than all manufacturers...15 seconds per GB downloads.

RAW's 500,000 cycle life SSD Flash inside...
More than 5 times the life a 90 MB/sec card.
More than 50 times the life of a 60 MB/sec card.

RAW by Hoodman...
Zero failures world wide 3 years and counting...
Built better, right here in the USA!

Hoodman continues to take advantage of their ability to build state of the art RAW CompactFlash cards. Hoodman RAW CompactFlash cards now use SSD flash inside. SSD (solid state drive) flash is designed to replace hard drives in computers. SSD flash is the most stable, reliable and expensive flash you can put in a CompactFlash memory card. SSD flash lasts through 500,000 cycles of life. 1 cycle of life equals filling a memory card and then reformatting the memory card. Taking the extra high tech road keeps Hoodman RAW CompactFlash memory cards shooting 490,000 times beyond the point where its competitors have failed. Hoodman support is just a phone call or email away… 800 818 3946 or email at RAWSupport@hoodmanusa.com.

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by Dick Ginkowski on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 am
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
CF cards are interesting, aren't they? In my tenth year of digital photography I have had only one failure, period. And that wasn't on a card that saw the insides of a washing machine!

I don't have use for the more esoteric and expensive cards but I have noticed that my slowest card now is 120x and the fastest double that and seems to download quicker as well.

One issue I have had is downloading in the field. I've used an express card downloader from Delkin for the past three years and it's much faster than USB 2.0. What prompted me to get a new laptop for the field is that many of the newer laptops do not have express card slots. The Toshiba s4070 (new model, out less than a month) I bought Sunday does. It also has a combined USB/eSata port but that won't help much without an adapter and so far I've only seen one on the market.
Dick Ginkowski
[url]http://www.pbase.com/dickg/[/url]

by hullyjr on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Hi Kim,

If you plan on sticking with the 1DsIII for a while you do not need a super fast card. The camera cannot take advantage of their speed. However, when you move up to a more recent model you will almost certainly benefit from that speed. Rob Galbraith's site is an excellent resource but gets out of date. Note that none of the latest cards are tested with the 1DsIII. Honestly, you do not need more than 30MB/s or 300x write time. This is one of the few advantages of buying an older camera.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by PedroS on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm
PedroS
Forum Contributor
Through the years I have 1 bad experience with a CF card.
Quite bad because I couldn't recover what was in the card, it fail so badly that couldn't be recognized by any system.
Hopefully I was testing a new lens so nothing important on it.
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

by Robert Sabin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:13 pm
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
I have a 5D2and Two 7d's, exactly what do I get from a Sandisk extreme Pro UDMA or Hoodman 675X? Larger Buffer? More fps? No buffer?

Thxs Robert

by hullyjr on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:46 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Robert,

For the newer cameras, the faster the cards the faster the buffer gets emptied. In other words these card are quicker at transferring the images from the camera to the card. In doing so the camera will be ready to take more images sooner. They also speed up the transfer of the images from the card to your computer. The buffer size and fps are fixed but by emptying said buffer quickly you will get more shots and the fps will not drop so dramatically once the buffer starts getting full. There is nothing worse than waiting for the buffer to empty so you can take another photo.

Really depends on your photos needs as to what speed you should get. I find these cards a bit like computers, with each iteration you get more for your money but they never become significantly cheaper. I have a box full of slow, basically useless CF & SD cards ranging in size from 8MB to 0.5GB. I remember paying almost $100 for my first "big" capacity card of 128MB!!!

Cheers

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

12 posts |