Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by Dusty Dog on Mon May 17, 2010 8:42 am
Dusty Dog
Forum Contributor
I have two cameras, a Nikon D200 and a D300. I will be selling the D200 (anyone interested?), so I'll only have the one. I just cannot afford to keep the second camera. The one I was using on the D200 is a Smugmug neoprene simple and cheap strap. I don't want to use it for my D300, and am looking for something much better. I've been "rummaging" around the store for weeks now, and just cannot make up my mind.

Having only one camera means that I'm switching often from the tripod to the strap. I do use a tripod as often as I can, but when I'm at work, I must hand-hold and have it on a strap. The Black Rapid system really intrigues me. But, the switching business seems problematic to me. I have read some past posts about this, and the recommendation is to couple it with a Kirk clamp. Seems like a great idea, but now we're getting into some serious money. $100+ for a camera strap seems kind of excessive. I'm not adverse to spending it, if it's really, really worth it. Of course, the other option would be to just keep screwing and unscrewing the connector. Would that eventually compromise the screw? Is this not really a good solution? Or, can I keep the strap on the camera when it's mounted on a tripod?

My other alternative would be a conventional strap, but I'm looking for a really good and comfortable one. I'm also looking for one that has some kind of easy removal mechanism, like simple safety hooks. What's other members' experiences with the straps offered here (or elsewhere)? I really don't want to end up with a bunch of unused straps, as I look for the perfectly comfortable one. I might as well just go with the Black Rapid/Kirk solution.

Thanks, in advance, for all replies.
Diane
D3s and a bunch of lenses, legs, lights, and a bag

by Greg Downing on Mon May 17, 2010 9:57 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Diane,

I have tried many many straps over the years and love the black rapid straps and think they are well worth the money. I have coupled mine with a clamp and think that is the best way to use it. However unscrewing the attachment is also an option and won't have an effect on the longevity of the connection. You can't leave the screw on when on a tripod...
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by Tim Marks on Mon May 17, 2010 10:04 am
Tim Marks
Forum Contributor
Also love the Black Rapid. I have attached mine to the RRS camera plate on my D300 using a short piece of strong cord (I create the loop with a figure eight knot). Kind of like this:

http://www.pixelatedimage.com/blog/2008 ... e-r-strap/

Lots of good ideas in the comments section.
Tim Marks
Royal Oak, Michigan
http://www.photowanderer.smugmug.com

by Larry Hayes on Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 am
Larry Hayes
Forum Contributor
Hi Diane,
I've been using the Upstrap now for about 4 years and love it. I'm particularly fond of the the quick release version which sells for $57. These straps make carrying a camera very comfortable yet the main part of the strap is easily removed for those times when the camera is attached to a tripod and you don't want/need a strap on the camera. I've read on more than one forum of failure problems some people have experienced with the Black Rapid Strap causing the camera to fall to the ground. I've never read of a single failure of the Upstrap. Here's a link to their website: http://www.upstrap-pro.com/

Larry

by photoman4343 on Mon May 17, 2010 10:46 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I use the OpTech PRO strap on my D 300 with battery pack. You can get it with different attachment devices to the camera lugs which is a very nice feature. The wide strap provides for good comfort at a reasonable cost. NSN Store sells them. Jo Smith
Joe Smith

by Leo Keeler on Mon May 17, 2010 11:12 am
Leo Keeler
Forum Contributor
Hi.
I agree with Larry, the UP STRAP system is really great. They are very heavy duty and the large release snaps let you take the neck strap off quickly even with gloves on.
http://www.akwildlife.com
Fellow Member International League of Conservation Photographers, North American Nature Photographers, Past President of Friends of McNeil River

by Dusty Dog on Mon May 17, 2010 12:18 pm
Dusty Dog
Forum Contributor
Ok, here's what I'm getting so far. I'm still intrigued with the Black Rapid, but there are a few issues and options. One being that the connector can get in the way of vertical shooting (I use the vertical battery thingy). Not terrible, but an issue. The second is the possibility, though maybe remote, of the camera falling off. That's huge, even though I have insurance. Finally, in that I usually use shorter lenses (70-300 VR maximum), though not always, when hand holding, I can still use the camera without removing the strap when using any lens with a lens foot. Hmmmm...... other than having it hanging down off my tripod, this may not be a deal killer, in that I still can remove it if necessary. And finally, I think that I have the option of connecting the strap to one camera ring, likely the left, not using the screw connector at all (or maybe sometimes), thereby just leaving both camera and lens plates free, and not interfering with vertical shooting. And, if I decide on a clamp in the future, I can do that.

I'm really leaning towards the Black Rapid. Looks like the BR gives me options that a conventional strap does not. And, I generally hate the behind the neck misery after hours of lugging a heavy camera around, particularly in hot weather.

Thanks so much for your prompt replies. Greg, if I'm missing something, please let me know. For now, I'm gonna sleep on it (I'm home sick in bed right now), and make a decision later.
Diane

by Dusty Dog on Mon May 17, 2010 12:34 pm
Dusty Dog
Forum Contributor
Tim, I also have an RRS plate mounted on the battery thing, and your suggestion of using a cord is interesting. What kind of cord? Do you know if a length of parachute cord would suffice? I have lots of that stuff around (almost 100 feet worth).
Diane

by DonS on Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 pm
DonS
Forum Contributor
Diane,

I have a Black Rapid strap that I use primarily for BIF and it works great. I do have a Wimberley clamp, however, I found that for my camera body, vertical battery grip, and BIF lens (400 f/5.6) that I prefer screwing the BR strap into the bottom of the camera body. The lens does have a tripod collar, but I don't like holding the collar tripod foot in my hand while shooting BIF and I find the camera hangs in a better balanced position when attached to the camera body directly. I do not have a RRS L-plate on this camera body. I have removed the tripod collar of the lens.

On my other camera body, which is primarily for landscapes and backup for birds, I have a RRS L-plate and an OP-Tech PRO strap. This strap is soft and comfortable on the neck. I can remove the neck pad portion and simple connect the two short straps to create a short camera strap that does not dangle while on the tripod. A long dangling strap can blow in the wind and cause image blurs - when you don't want them.

Notice the pull tab on Tim's cord. Looks like a zipper pull used for outdoor gear - like backpacks, etc. Nice idea and I would make real sure the cord is well tied.

More food for thought!
"Take your passion and make it happen!"
Don Saunders
http://www.DonSaundersPhoto.com

by Dusty Dog on Mon May 17, 2010 2:25 pm
Dusty Dog
Forum Contributor
I just made a purchase. I decided to go with the Op Tech PRO for now. It's the least expensive and well rated. If I decide to upgrade, I can still do that. The UpStrap seems really good, but quite pricey. Again, given the price, I don't feel like I've made any critical errors (I'm sure none are really "errors") by spending lots of money and feeling like I can't go back. For me, money is really a driving force. I'm still really intrigued by the BR, and I do think that in the future, I'll be purchasing it, particularly now that I know a lot more than what is simply shown in the store. But, for now, as I said, money talks.

Thanks so much, all of you. You rock!!!
Diane

by Tim Marks on Mon May 17, 2010 4:50 pm
Tim Marks
Forum Contributor
The cord in the picture is shown on David DuChemin's camera (it is his blog I linked to). I think it is cord that came on the bag that the strap came in. I bought a piece of cord (3mm I think) at REI and created a loop. I tied it off with a figure eight not and then looped it through the strap attach slot on the RRS plate. No fear of it breaking!

See Below

'
Tim Marks
Royal Oak, Michigan
http://www.photowanderer.smugmug.com

by mikeojohnson on Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 am
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I use the Black Rapid straps. I have tried all of the above mentioned straps and feel it is the best to carry and best to shoot from.
I attached a Kirk clamp (http://www.kirkphoto.com/1_in_Quick_Release_Clamp.html) to the strap (using locktite) and can easily and quickly change the strap to other bodies, which reduces the number of straps you need if you have more than one body. If you like to carry two bodies, Black Rapid makes two connectors that connect the camera straps in the back and creates the most comfortable carry I have ever had.

If you have a longer lens with a plate, the strap clamps onto the lens plate and gives much better balance.

Being able to put the strap across your body and then being able to quickly raise the camera into shooting position really sets these straps apart, in my opinion.
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Carolyn E. Wright on Tue May 18, 2010 9:34 am
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
Wish Black Rapid would get its women's version on the market now! http://www.blackrapid.com/buzz/rs-w1-wo ... ming-soon/
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Retired Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by Dusty Dog on Fri May 21, 2010 8:13 pm
Dusty Dog
Forum Contributor
Yeah, that women's version looks interesting.

I just got the OpTech PRO delivered today. It's a very basic camera strap, comfortable enough for now, but I'm still eyeing the BR. What's interesting about the OpTech is the Pro Loop version I selected over the buckle connection. I love it. I don't need to always worry about slipping buckles, which they do tend to do. But also, regarding the pimping of the BR with a loop connection instead of the screw connection, the loop on the OpTech would be perfect for that. I think that BR should just make a loop connection option for the BR. I do think it would go over pretty well for those of use who use a single camera that goes from strap to tripod to strap. The loop would be perfect, as it could easily attach to the Really Right Stuff camera plate.

Yeah, a Black Rapid is definitely in my future. :-)
Diane

by Rick Gens on Sat May 22, 2010 8:15 am
Rick Gens
Forum Contributor
I bought the Optech Pro Strap after reading the reviews about it. It is very comfortable. The only other modification that i did was i went to hardware store and bought 30" piece of strap and 4 quick release connectors. Then I had my mother-in-law,gosh I love her, cut the strap into two 15" sections and sew the connectors to each end of the straps. When I connect the shorter strap that came with the Optech Pro to the 15" extension,and finally to the OpTech Pro shoulder strap this brings my camera down to a more comfortable position .

Rick

by Adams Serra on Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm
Adams Serra
Forum Contributor
Got a Black rapid a few weeks ago and the quick release clamp.Last night i tried it for the first time, it felt very comfortable until my camera and lens came loose and hit the concrete pavement. Luckily everything still works good, just a few scratches on the camera body.
www.adamsserraphotography.zenfolio.com

by Alexandre Vaz on Fri May 28, 2010 2:10 pm
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
Can someone please explain the advantage of attaching a camera strap like the black rapid strap to the camera screw instead of using the strap loops on the camera body?

by mikeojohnson on Fri May 28, 2010 2:26 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
It is much more comfortable to carry a heavier body/lens with the strap over your shoulder and across your body. The camera hangs in a more balanced to walk with position. It is easier/quicker to bring the camera into shooting position.
See here: http://www.blackrapid.com/video/r-strap-shootout
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Alexandre Vaz on Fri May 28, 2010 2:36 pm
Alexandre Vaz
Forum Contributor
Thanks. I see, but I'm not convinced...

by dbostedo on Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 pm
dbostedo
Forum Contributor
I don't use one, but I think it's simply this - hold your camera in your right hand like you're shooting, then just let your hands fall to your side like you're walking. That upside down position is the way the strap then holds your camera, with the lens pointing backward. Regular straps connected to the lugs/rings would tend to make the lens stick out sideways and/or the camera flop around more as you walked I'd think. And make it slightly more awkward to grab and raise to you eye.

That said, I don't like straps, and keep my camera in a holster style satchel bag.
David Bostedo
Vienna, VA, USA

22 posts |