by Brian E. Small on Fri May 08, 2009 2:30 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
Here are a couple photos of the Joe Fuhrman/Scott Clark fix:

by JimPoor on Fri May 08, 2009 2:45 pm
JimPoor
Forum Contributor
I found this post very interesting seeing as it came just few posts after the one where you pretty much poo=pooed the "problem." I guess a "piece of mind" product is just as legitimate as a "gear protection product" though it will be interesting to see how this one gets marketed now.
Greg Downing wrote:FWIW - NSN has a product in the works as well. I should have word on availability soon and will be talking to Gitzo as well regarding incorporating this from the start so it does not have to be an additional purchase. Gitzo asked me some time ago to be involved in product development planning so hopefully I will have some inside influence. ;)
Best,
Jim

by Greg Downing on Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Hey Jim, what is interesting about what I said? I was simply stating my personal experience of never having a problem...(which is the truth.)
Greg Downing wrote:.... (parsed quote) I have never had a problem with my plate coming loose and this is after well over a decade of use with the same design. It just doesn't come loose or seem to be a problem for me and I carry a big lens over my shoulder all the time. So this "fix" is more of a peace of mind thing.....
Obviously, based on the discussion and the fact that Joe has come up with something for some, there are people who feel it is needed for peace of mind which is exactly how it would be marketed should we do so. :) Joe called me this AM and we discussed this at length.

We will keep you posted on the "gitzo-compatible super duper peace of mind bullet proof safety mechanism" as soon as we have further info. ;)
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by JimPoor on Fri May 08, 2009 3:37 pm
JimPoor
Forum Contributor
Just seemed a bit counter-productive for the future launch of a product is all. No big deal, just struck me funny.
Best,
Jim

by Woodswalker on Fri May 08, 2009 4:07 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Thanks for posting this Brian. This is great news and the sooner it's available the better.

by Greg Downing on Fri May 08, 2009 4:13 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Understood. I am not going to tell someone they need something just because we decide to sell it for those who might want it.

I've always expressed my honest opinion or experiences on products (potential or otherwise) and I will leave the final purchasing decision up to the buyer. :)

Joe has obviously put some work and thought into this and there will probably be a niche market for it.

On another note - Joe and I discussed yesterday the fact that I, and others, use a Gitzo leveling base. This would obviously not work with it.
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by silverbowff on Fri May 08, 2009 4:18 pm
silverbowff
Forum Contributor
Looks like a great fix if you only use the top plate issued with the tripod. However, it will not work with a Gitzo leveling base in place. That said I have used a 1325, 1548, and a 3540 LS for a number of years with the 1321 and have never had an instance where it has loosened up. I do have a routine of checking the tension on all the tightening nuts and bolts on my tripods. I travel many miles every year around the western US and the road vibration can loosen things up on any thing mechanical.

Jim
James Prudente
http://www.pbase.com/silverbowff

by Greg Downing on Fri May 08, 2009 4:52 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Jim,

As I indicated in my post above yours you are correct that it will not work with the leveling base. However Joe and I are discussing that...so stay tuned. :)
Greg Downing

by Judd Patterson on Wed May 13, 2009 12:13 am
Judd Patterson
Forum Contributor
This looks really interesting. Any ideas on availability and price? Some of us are ready for piece of mind. :)
[url=http://www.juddpatterson.com]Judd Patterson Photography[/url] | [url=http://www.facebook.com/juddpattersonphotography]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://www.birdsinfocus.com]BirdsInFocus[/url]

by Dave Stewart on Wed May 13, 2009 4:37 am
Dave Stewart
Forum Contributor
After only just averting a catastrophe with my 500mm due to the plate working loose I'd definitely buy one of these. As Judd said the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Regards

Dave

by Greg Downing on Wed May 13, 2009 12:02 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
We're working on it....I'll update as soon as we have something worked out. Should be soon...
Greg Downing

by scott clark on Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 pm
scott clark
Forum Contributor
Sorry for the silence but Joe and I were attending a Matthew Studebaker workshop, which I might add, was a fantastic time and Matthew and great host.

One of the other guys we were shooting with was millimeters away from the plate popping out and thus loosing his Canon Mark III 1Ds and 800mm. We went shooting this weekend and a similar disaster was averted with a friend's Nikon D2X and 600mm lens. Since my Nikon D3 and 600mm crashed to the ground, I've made it a point to look at friends set-ups to spare them from a similar fate.

The plate will be manufactured by British Precision, the owner Gary happens to be my neighbor. We approached Gary with the symptoms and he looked at the tripod and said, it's simple, the collar is inadequate/undersized to put the proper pressure on the circular plate to handle the torque action of a heavy camera and lens. After consulting with Gary over a few weeks, he came up with a simple, but very effective design. Others in this forum have attested to the new plates design, so I'll not belabor the point.

We believe the plate will cost around $50 plus shipping. In the next few days we will provide you with the direct contact information for British Precision or if you would like, feel free to send me an email at scott.clark2@verizon.net and I will pass the information to Gary.

by milmoejoe on Tue May 19, 2009 6:51 am
milmoejoe
Forum Contributor
Fantastic! Your efforts are much appreciated, Scott.

by Greg Downing on Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
UPDATE:

NatureScapes will carry these new plates and we will be the exclusive supplier.

This is to benefit the designers and manufacturer, by taking the burden of supply, demand, shipping, invoicing etc. off of them. This will also benefit the people purchasing the product as rather than having a product made one at a time and having to wait for it etc. NSN is making an investment in a quantity of them and will keep a supply readily available for easy purchase through the NSN store. NSN will stand behind the product and market it as well. We do not have a final set-in-stone price quite yet.

Working with Joe, Scott and the manufacturer NatureScapes will make various sizes of these plates specifically fit, and tested, for a variety of tripod models. Joe has tripods on the way to him from NSN and will be finalizing the design and fine tuning any sizing needed in the next week or so. Once we have all the details worked out we will have a date for availability.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I have personally spoken to Bogen imaging and have their approval to develop and market this as an accessory for their tripods and, because of the design, we are assured that it will not void the original warranty of your tripod. This was something that concerned us originally but the coast is clear.

On a personal note: As I originally stated, I have never had an issue but, as I stated above, I realize that some folks obviously have and that this is admittedly a "safer than sorry" scenario.

We will continue to update folks as things fall into place. Thanks to Joe and Scott for taking the initiative to work on this project and allowing NSN to help bring it to market in a professional manner. :)
Greg Downing

by DOglesby on Tue May 19, 2009 10:30 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Wow. That is really cool Greg and Joe and Scott. Now THIS is customer service.
Cheers,
Doug

by c.w. moynihan on Wed May 20, 2009 6:25 am
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
Well I have never had an issue, however I did used to sell insurance.... I'm in for one. I hope you have a frisky first production run. I imagine this to be a BIG seller ! Pre-order list ?
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by Dave Stewart on Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 am
Dave Stewart
Forum Contributor
As I said in an earlier post - you can count me in too.

by Brian E. Small on Wed May 20, 2009 12:04 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
Just thought I'd chime in on this one more time. I have been one of the "beta testers" of my cousin Joe and Scott's plate for the past couple of months and without question there is no better solution to this problem. Their plate is beautifully and professionally machined and it works like a charm. Again, I now have 100% confidence about carrying my 600 on my shoulder without the worry of the original Gitzo plate dropping out. No, I'm not a paid endorser of their plate...............just a very satisfied customer :-)

by DarrenMcKenna on Wed May 20, 2009 4:19 pm
DarrenMcKenna
Forum Contributor
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Gitzo is going to incorporate this plate into future sales?
[color=#BFBFBF][b][url=http://darrenmckenna.com/]darrenmckenna.com[/url][/b][/color]

by Greg Downing on Wed May 20, 2009 4:35 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Darren: Doubtful
Christian: Definitely :)
Brian: Thanks! :D
Greg Downing

93 posts |