Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Jackie Schuknecht on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:49 pm
Jackie Schuknecht
Forum Contributor
I found this on the Canon PR0 website. http://files.support.epson.com/videos/A ... anvas.html Not quite the experience I had loading my canvas yesterday on my 3880. :D
I used a Canon 9000 at a workshop last week,canvas loaded in about 2 secs, first time, everytime!
Wish Epson had gotten it right, but I still do love the printer, and have started printing on Lyve canvas, and the details and dmax are great, despite the loading issues with canvas.
Visit my website at www.jackieschuknecht.com

by irvweiner on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:12 am
irvweiner
Forum Contributor
My 3880 and Canvas, Dead or a Lyve!

I have posted this info in a similar forum previously. I know it's contained in my response to others on several other sites.

After trying many suggested methods I use this technique.

1: Setup the paper size custom or 'standard'

2: Enter the Platen gap width: wide, wider...

3: Enter the paper thickness: Note each integer reps 1/10 mm or 4 mils, for a 20 mil thk canvas I use 5

4: Cut your canvas to size and place in the 'normal' rear auto slot (wear cotton gloves or use lint free cloth). Definitely brush/wipe your canvas 'clean', loose coating flakes, fibers or particulate matter will leave white 'pinholes' in your print. Many canvas media coming off a roll will exhibit a tendency to curl, especially so at the 4 corners. Flex the corners to be 'flat' preventing printhead 'rubs', mainly at the trailing corners where media is no longer held down by the rollers.

5: Gently press against the canvas, check for proper alignment along the right edge and press the 'preload' or 'eject' button (South pole of 'select' buttons group)

6: When the feed cycle starts push canvas gently downwards, when the rollers grab let go. If the feed is successful the canvas will advance to the preloaded position. If not the roller noise will alert you, lift out the canvas and try again. With experience your success rate will be > 80% for preloading the canvas!
A preloaded canvas will now feed and print properly > 95% OTT! My experience.

7: Before pressing 'Print', recheck your print properties: media size, color/B&W, port or lndscp, etc.

During the print cycle observe the print's alignment progress, definitely for longer prints > 20 in., include additional border space to allow for follow-up trimming.

The rotary cutter, Rotatrim (not inexpensive), is excellent for cutting sheets or slivers of canvas, don't even think of using a guillotine cutter on a finished print--a box cutter with a fresh blade is infinitely better.

8: When your print exits hang it vertically (regardless of size), placing the print on a flat surface creates an instant 'electrostatic' dirt magnet.

Everything I described above was gleaned from the generous members postings on this site and Naturescapes. Ditto for sealing and framing of your new canvas prints-your next set of tasks.

I hope you now feel encouraged to follow thru--B&W on canvas is awesome!!
irv weiner

PS: I have elected to turn off 'Detect paper size'. Despite my high success rate with Lyve and other BC canvas's, a few photogs have contacted me expressing frustration--not being inside their printer I cannot view its actual physical condition: dirty or damaged rollers, improper platen/gap action ...etc. As I said, Lyve is living my 3880, there is post on DPreview where a 3880 user has mounted an additional guide on the left hand side of the media sheet to maintain a straight feed for longer sheets--will re-search.
I hope this info can help irv weiner

by Randy Mehoves on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:31 am
Randy Mehoves
Forum Contributor
When/if Irv's very good instructions don't work try this method:
http://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/how- ... p-printer/

I have had to use that method ( and thus use it all the time) and it works very well. Follow the instructions to help eliminate any issues. There have been several posts here where people had problems and most were caused by eliminating some of the steps.
Randy Mehoves
http://www.randymehovesphotography.com

by Jackie Schuknecht on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:20 pm
Jackie Schuknecht
Forum Contributor
I just thought it was quite funny to see the canvas load on the video in less than a minute. I will try your tips, next round of printing. Thanks much.
Visit my website at www.jackieschuknecht.com

4 posts |