Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by buggz on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 pm
buggz
Forum Contributor
Hello,
I recently purchased Gamutvision.
I think it's a great tool.
I should have gotten this LONG before buying all these papers.
I am in "paper profiling mode" recently, with my ColorMunki.
Though, the only information is on the website itself.
Which is very good, but, it leaves off a lot of information, for me.
Being a mere hobbyist, I have a lot of questions.
Searching Google brought up two old Luminous Landscape articles, which were very good.
And, Goggle found posts here.
Would it be possible to ask questions about Gamutvision here?
I have tried to get some kind of response from the people at Imatest, nothing so far.
I was kind of shocked that the Gamutvision forums had almost no posts!

I would be VERY interested in hearing from anyone who knows about Gamutvision, such as the post below:
Royce Howland wrote: You're right, a more approachable guide for this tool would be useful. As I just mentioned to David, I'm planning to write a "Gamutvision for photographers" tutorial in my copious free time because I think this tool can benefit a lot of photographers. But I think the descriptions on the web site and the tool itself are a bit daunting to people who want something a bit more goal-oriented and don't necessarily want to spend the time mastering technical imaging subject matter. :)

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Go ahead, Royce is our resident expert on Gamutvision.

by buggz on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:54 am
buggz
Forum Contributor
Hello,
My ultimate goal is to understand what papers work with what images.
I am only a mere hobbiest.
When I started making my own prints, I found it remarkable that Office Max Standard Gloss
worked so well using the Canon Glossy Media setting.
I use, and enjoy, my humble dye printer, a Canon PIXMA Pro9000MkII.
I use CS5 to edit the RAW files from my Canon 5DMkII and Canon 40D.
I use Qimage Studio Edition to print.
I now want to take my printing a step further, even knowing full well that my humble printer/inkset
will limit me.
Shrug, it's just another thing I wish to learn.
Being an engineer, I like the technical aspects of photography also.
Oh believe me, I know fully well how one can quickly consume enormous time, and get lost in the technical details.
I am now in the middle of profiling many papers, I use, and enjoy my ColorMunki.
I think I found out about Gamutvision on LULA, Luminous Landscape forums.
I think Gamutvision has a great potential to help me soft proof and understand different paper profiles.
Qimage and CS5 soft proffing is really good, though, lack severely in the gamut part.

There, long winded "introduction" out of the way, nice to "meet" everyone.
*8^)

Everyone bored now? Hope not, believe it, or don't, actual Gamut vision questions will be coming next.
Perhaps we can compile all the wandering ravings into a useful tutorial, somehow.

by buggz on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am
buggz
Forum Contributor
First question(s):

In this example, I understand that we are able to compare the gamuts of:
- Printer profile #2 and color space #1(sRGB) using perceptual rendering intent.
- Printer profile #4 and color space #3(sRGB) using perceptual rendering intent.
- Display A is capable of comparing the gamuts of printer profile #4(wire frame) to printer profile #2(solid output).
- Display B is capable of comparing the gamuts of printer profile #2(wire frame) to printer profile #4(solid output).
These are all mapped to sRGB space? Or, are only Display A and B mapped to sRGB space?
When saying they are mapped, they are encapsulated in the sRGB space?

http://www.cornbread.com/~buggz/gv_2011 ... -05-46.jpg

by buggz on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:42 am
buggz
Forum Contributor
The previous posted mentioned Office Max paper, this is incorrect, it should have stated Office Depot Standard Glossy.

by Royce Howland on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I'm on vacation at the moment but I am checking in periodically. :) Of the local folks here, probably myself and Miles Hecker are among the bigger proponents of Gamutvision. It really is an invaluable tool in my opinion, though as you're finding out it takes a bit of getting used to to grasp what it can show.

In your example screenshot, you've got 4 profiles configured in slots #1 through #4. The default setup of Gamutvision then lets you do all kinds of comparative visualizations between various profile pairs. Clicking the View button between profiles #1 and #2 will show comparisons of those two, sRGB and Pictorico Pro Hi Gloss, where the latter is treated as the target profile converted from #1 as the source profile using the Perceptual rendering intent.

Clicking the View button between profiles #3 and #4 does a similar comparison visualization as above, but using sRGB and Mk II Platinum Pro instead. These are fairly straight forward visualizations, showing comparisons of source profile to destination profile -- apples and orange. The source profile typically would be a working color space like sRGB, Adobe RGB, or ProPhoto RGB; or perhaps your monitor profile if you wish to compare the effect of looking on-screen vs. on-print.

Displays A and B are a little different. They show you an apples-to-apples comparison. Instead of looking at a source profile vs. destination, you're comparing two destination profiles, e.g. two printer papers as in the case of your screenshot. Both destinations are indeed considered to have been converted from their respective source profiles (sRGB in this case for both) by the selected rendering intents. You'd be interested in this display to compare two papers for example, looking at their respective gamut volume, neutrality, color accuracy, etc.

If you wanted to compare the two destination profiles in their "raw" state with each other, i.e. not considered as having first been converted to from the given source profiles, you could select the rendering intent of "none".

I wouldn't use the term "encapsulated within", I'd say converted to or transformed to. In fact as a general rule the destination profile quite likely is not "encapsulated" by sRGB in either of your two examples; either or both of the printer profiles may be able to represent colors that are outside the gamut of sRGB, for example.
Royce Howland

by buggz on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 am
buggz
Forum Contributor
Excellent!
Thank you for your informative reply!
I am understanding what you have told me.
I also learned something new, "The source profile typically would be a working color space like sRGB, Adobe RGB, or ProPhoto RGB; or perhaps your monitor profile if you wish to compare the effect of looking on-screen vs. on-print."

I asked about the mapping to the source profiles because I find the "hue color map", top right corner,
a bit confusing.
I'm guessing INP would be profile #1, #3, Display A IN, and Display B IN? This depending on the VIEW selected.
And then I>M is profile INP mapped to the MONITOR current workin icc profile?
Then the OUT is using the opposite of IN, profiles #2, #4, Dispaly A OUT, and Display B OUT. This depending on the VIEW selected.

I am also wondering about the rendering intent options.
I understand the straight forward items:
Perceptual
Colormetric
Saturation
Absolute
none

How do the other differ from the above choices?
The soft proofing choices, in particular.
The remaining choice, round trip, is covered very well on the Gamutvision site.

Thank you VERY much for your time!

by Royce Howland on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
buggz wrote:I asked about the mapping to the source profiles because I find the "hue color map", top right corner,
a bit confusing.
I'm guessing INP would be profile #1, #3, Display A IN, and Display B IN? This depending on the VIEW selected.
And then I>M is profile INP mapped to the MONITOR current workin icc profile?
Then the OUT is using the opposite of IN, profiles #2, #4, Dispaly A OUT, and Display B OUT. This depending on the VIEW selected.
Yes, that's pretty much got it right. Gamutvision itself is a color managed app. So regardless of what source & target profiles you have selected in slots #1 through #4, much of what it is showing you on screen is, of course, transformed through your own system's monitor profile before appearing on your monitor. If you didn't have a monitor profile or if it had problems, vs. being there and being good, this would impact what you see. Your monitor profile clearly is an active player in how you visualize what is going on with the other profiles that you're actually trying to analyze. :)

So the I vs. I>M and O vs. O>M options in the upper right give you the ability to take your own monitor profile into or out of the equation during the display of the hue map or various other test images that are rendered up there. The I and O selections give you the "raw take" of the input or output profile's effects on the test image, just dumped straight to your video system without first being color transformed through your monitor profile. The I>M and O>M options do the color transform through your monitor profile first; these are the options you'd use normally assuming your own profile is present and good.

Note that you do need to tell Gamutvision about your own monitor profile; it doesn't pick it up from the operating system and use it automatically. Rather, it defaults to using sRGB if you don't specify anything else. So in the default case the I>M and O>M selections would be showing you the test image first transformed to the input or output profile, and then transformed to sRGB. You configure your own monitor profile using the app's Settings > Monitor Profile menu item.
I am also wondering about the rendering intent options.
I understand the straight forward items:
Perceptual
Colormetric
Saturation
Absolute
none

How do the other differ from the above choices?
The soft proofing choices, in particular.
The remaining choice, round trip, is covered very well on the Gamutvision site.
The rendering intents are interesting. RI plays a bigger part in color management -- especially printing -- than I suspect many folks realize. The 4 basic ones, Perceptual, Colorimetric, Saturation and Absolute, are the same standard RI's found within any color managed app.

The option None is a special case meaning "don't actually do any color transformation"; this is equivalent to the "no color management" setting that used to exist in Photoshop (but doesn't now) or in the printer driver. It's useful for comparing two profiles with each other head-to-head, no transforms. For example suppose you had spent a chunk of change on a new wide gamut display that claimed to support 97% of the Adobe RGB color gamut. You could select Adobe RGB as the input profile #1, your monitor profile as the output profile #2, and set the RI to None. Then looking at the 3D wireframe display, you could display the raw gamut volumes of each profile and see how they compare, verifying the marketing claims of the monitor manufacturer. :)

You could do the same thing using an input profile of Adobe RGB (say for example that's your standard working profile in Photoshop) and a printer profile as the output profile. With None selected as the RI, this lets you compare the raw gamut volumes of the two profiles. An interesting question this display can answer is, would my printer be capable of printing any colors that lie outside the gamut of Adobe RGB? If the answer is yes, this could be an argument for using ProPhoto RGB as my working color space in Photoshop, so that I can potentially print with those richer hues. This is an actual case -- something again that many folks don't realize is that modern inkjet printers do in fact exceed the gamut of Adobe RGB in certain hues. If you only ever used Gamutvision to evaluate profiles with a RI of Perceptual or Colorimetric (the two most common & useful ones), the tool would always be constraining its diagnostic displays by transforming colors that were originally limited by source profile (Adobe RGB in this example) which by definition means they'd never visualize the extra gamut available in the output profile. You'd never realize there was extra color on the table that could potentially be used in your prints.

Maybe that was obvious but since we're on the topic I wanted to point this out as a special case use of the None RI. :)

The round trip stuff is covered in the big tutorial at the Gamutvision site, as you say, I won't mention it further for now.

This leaves the 4 soft-proofing selections, each one is an analogue to the 4 basic RI's. This is a bit tricky to explain clearly in words without a lot of examples to illustrate but I'll give it a shot. :) The 4 soft-proof RI's are used to account for the point I mentioned above, that your own monitor (including its color profile which may be missing, poor quality, or good quality) is an active player in the color pipeline as you work on images.

Let's say that you've chosen ProPhoto RGB as your working color space in Photoshop because you have a modern DSLR that can capture a wide range of color, you like dealing with a lot of saturation, and you print on a modern inkjet that can do some very saturated colors that lie outside what Adobe RGB can represent. You've had a custom printer profile done up for you by somebody who is a pro at it and has all the great equipment and knows how to use it. This should really ideal -- you shoot your images, process and print them, and should be able to get rich, accurate color across the board, to the maximum supported by both your camera and printer. But for some reason your prints don't look right.

Oh, wait. It's because your monitor is a 10 year old, cheap consumer grade CRT that didn't even have the gamut of sRGB when it was brand new, and since then has gone way out of linearization as the monitor has dimmed over time. Furthermore, you calibrated it, but only using a 10 year old, cheap consumer grade monitor profiling tool that produces bad profiles even on good monitors. This is a problem. :) Even though your camera is great, Photoshop is great, ProPhoto RGB is a great working color space, your printer is great, and your custom printer profile is great, the monitor is the weak link in the chain. Everything you do in image processing is viewed through the lens represented by your monitor and its associated color profile.

In Gamutvision, you could do some analysis of why your printing problems are happening. You'd set ProPhoto RGB as the input profile (#1) and your custom printer profile as the output profile (#2). The thing is, the problem is not happening in the transformation of your image in its color space (ProPhoto RGB) to the printer color space. The problem is happening in between because your monitor is causing you screw up the image during post-processing in Photoshop by giving you a bad view of the image and its color. Even though everything else is right, the monitor profile throws the whole thing off the rails.

Long and extreme, contrived setup :) but this kind of thing is what the 4 soft-proof RI's are designed to help identify. If you pick the Perceptual RI, in this example it will show what happens to the image color going from ProPhoto RGB to the printer profile. But if you pick the Perceptual soft-proof RI instead, it's going to show what happens starting from ProPhoto RGB, then getting clipped down & screwed up by the monitor's limited & messed up color space, and then going to the printer profile. This kinda simulates the 3-way relationship involved in printing the image, but only after you have been looking at it & working on it using your monitor which is well below par compared to both the input and output profiles. If the monitor (or its profile) has a big problem, it can show up using these soft-proof RI's even though the monitor profile itself is not selected as either the #1 or #2 profile in the Gamutvision view.

If you want to experiment with these soft-proof RI's, this is a good example of why Gamutvision has 4 profile slots, two for input and two for output. It's so that you can pick the same input profiles in #1 and #3, and the same output profiles in #2 and #4, but choose 2 different RI's. E.g. compare the impact of choosing Perceptual vs. Colorimetric -- for printing this can be a substantial impact. Likewise if you think the monitor may be influencing your post-processing work, then compare Perceptual vs. Perceptual soft-proof; or Colorimetric vs. Colorimetric soft-proof. If you don't really see any major differences between the normal RI and the soft-proof RI it's one piece of evidence that your monitor is not really tripping you up. But if you do see differences between the soft-proof and normal RI's, then it would indicate there's something to look at more closely about how your monitor (or its profile) is impacting your whole color managed printing workflow.
Royce Howland

by buggz on Mon May 02, 2011 4:28 pm
buggz
Forum Contributor
Wow! This IS great stuff!
Thanks for the information.
I will have to actually read this and digest it.
THEN, I have another round of questions, if you don't mind.

9 posts |